Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Divs to Carry optics?

Ozy

I actually just switched not long ago.  I had been shooting Limited pretty much exclusively since I actually joined USPSA about 18 months ago, but decided to try a dot, and ended up putting one on the gun I carry around.  It made sense to go with a dot across the board, and carry optics fit the bill.  I do still like my limited gun, but I have not been shooting it quite as much lately.  I think it was a pretty successful switch for me.  I have always been a little too slow in Limited, and shooting minor seems to fit my shooting style a bit better.  As far as classification goes, I was a B class in Limited, and my first official classification in CO was also B class.  So far I am really enjoying shooting with a dot instead of irons, and the mag capacity is pretty close so stage planning etc. is very similar.

I did and went back to limited pretty quick,  however another guy i shoot with switched and really likes (I think prefers)  CO.  So basically you just gotta try it and see if it fits you 

I was shooting limited exclusively also and switched when they made the 141mm mag rule change in carry optics. I am classified in limited as B and Carry optics I'm also a B but with a few percent higher in carry optics. I was able to switch over to a dot very quickly and so far after a year now I haven't gone back to limited.

I've shot Limited exclusively for a while. Several years, and have decent success with it. 

While my wife was pregnant, we weren't shooting as much, so I swapped to CO just for fun.  I actually really enjoy it. I built the gun, took it to the MS Sectional a few days later, then shot the AR Sectional with it as well. Was lucky enough to win both.  I was kind of learning as I went in the matches,  but a 9mm with an optic on it was very intuitive for me. 

That being said, it's back to Limited for a while. 

I'm a Limited B competitor and have also classified as B in Single Stack and Carry Optics. The fundamentals will make you successful no matter what division you compete in however there's some fine tuning to do when you go from irons to optics.

Personally, I like the major scoring better and there's more GMs available in majors for it to count towards my classification. So I'm exclusively limited until Nats then I'll jump around in the off season.

if you feel things going stale in limited then give carry optics a try for a couple local matches and have fun. that's what this sport is all about anyways

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Really appreciate the great input from everyone. I made B in limited in 8 months ,but feel that i'm too slow(& older....?????) to make it to A in limited...

maybe a rod dot to the  rescue to help me shoot faster?!

Really appreciate the great input from everyone. I made B in limited in 8 months ,but feel that i'm too slow(& older....?????) to make it to A in limited...
 maybe a rod dot to the  rescue to help me shoot faster?!
Don't be disheartened. The speed you're seeking is not physical it's probably your transitions being too slow. Process faster VISUALLY and everything else will catch up and reduce your times.

Commit to your dry fire consistently every night and remember 15 mins daily is better than 2 hours one day a week.

Lastly, buy Ben Stoeger's new book and don't even focus on the drills right away. Just read about what he says regarding the mental commitment you need and if you can't give it that then just be content where you are. Have fun and grind away!!

6 hours ago, RJH said:

I did and went back to limited pretty quick, 

lol, same here, although I really only intended to dabble in CO to learn more about shot-calling and prepare for when I get so geriatric I can't see proper mens' sights.  ;)

22 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Don't be disheartened. The speed you're seeking is not physical it's probably your transitions being too slow. Process faster VISUALLY and everything else will catch up and reduce your times.

Commit to your dry fire consistently every night and remember 15 mins daily is better than 2 hours one day a week.

Lastly, buy Ben Stoeger's new book and don't even focus on the drills right away. Just read about what he says regarding the mental commitment you need and if you can't give it that then just be content where you are. Have fun and grind away!!

Great advice and suggestions.... yes my transitions are lacking the snap and speed I need to shoot at.

I have ben 2 previous book and I do adhere to 15 a day or two  dry firing.... helped me tremendously.thank you sir!

I wanted to play in CO about a year ago just cuz I wanted to build a gun with a red dot.  I was having fun but didn’t know if it was I wanted to do all the time. Around the same time I noticed my far vision had pooped the bed and went to the eye doc. He fixed my far vision with contacts/glasses but my eyes could no longer see my irons if I was wearing my contacts/glasses. Talk about a kick to the stones. I thought that only happened to people that were old.  Father Time sucks. CO is now my “favorite” division. 

On a side note our club has seen a huge jump in the CO division. A year ago it was me and one other shooter consistently. Now it’s our biggest division. 

I recently made the change from only ever shooting limited to CO. My work schedule this year has not allowed for much shooting, so having something new to work on (mainly dryfire) and something to shoot with little to no pressure has been good. I shot my first club match of the year a few weekends ago and I am not sure that I would have finished any better with my limited rig. There are two things I find really interesting about CO, the first, I have many rounds behind a shotgun where you use a target focus, which is very similar to shooting the dot. I was really surprised with how fast you can shoot a steel array, and how much easier swingers become with a dot. The second thing I find interesting is the fact that you can run a stripped down stock gun and still feel absolutely competitive. For some reason its refreshing to run a stock G34 and get back to the basics. It is easy in Limited and Open to get caught up it the rat race of a 2011...

These are my simple thoughts anyways...

Whatever you do, get the dot milled deeply into the slide. I can’t emphasize enough how much that helps; men who prefer real guns (irons) aren’t used to searching for a dot an inch over the bore.

Plus, I firmly believe that this makes the dot easier to track. I’m not sure why, but it’s much more intuitive than when it was higher.

Things that will improve:

(1) Your grip. It’s twice as obvious when your sights don’t snap right back if you have a dot still streaking through the glass vs. one that has snapped back and is stationary.

(2) Your trigger press. You see every little imperfection. 

(3) Your form for shooting on the move. Present the gun, dot is jiggling too much for you to call the shot, you see the need to bend your knees and actually get low.

Plus it’s nice having 24 rounds in the gun at the buzzer. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Went from a 2011 .45 in L10 to CO, and not going back. Started with a dove mount XDM, then mistakenly bought a Glock MOS 34, (must have been half crazed from an LSD flashback), but regained my sanity and went with the CZ. With my older eyes and the 24 rounds count, I am having a blast. 

Still dabble in Single Stack for fun, but Carry Optics is it for me. Now, as far as the other new division.....................

I went from Limited to Open because of really old eyes.  I really wanted to try CO, so I tried all my friends guns.  I hated them.  If I was forced to shoot CO, it would have to be with a CZ.  Specifically, a CZ with a safety that can be manually decocked so it is Production legal.  Even then I'd still get a trigger job done on it.  For everything else I would shoot it single action.

I must admit that I am considering the CO route.  My eyesight is going and is becoming more and more frustrating.  My only concern is the durability of the red dots on the market.  I may have to wait a little longer.

mwc, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have 5 FF3s, 3 RTS2v4s and 3 DPPs.  One FF3 is sitting in a box waiting for me to finish my next build. Six of the remaining are mounted on reciprocating slides.  I've only ever had one failure. A DPP, two weeks old, stopped adjusting the brightness.  I sent it back and they either fixed it or sent a new one.  It has been used on my Steel Challenge gun all season without a hiccup.

The oldest sight have been slide mounted on my 1911 45.  40,000+ rounds later is it still going strong.  My bullseye loads make 156PF and major loads are 172PF.  The slide is not lightened in any way, so this sight has a violent ride.  It happens to be a FF3.  I have an RTS2 mounted directly to the slide on another 1911 45.  No problems with it either.  Can't speak to other brands, but I'd have no worries about slide mounting any of these three.

8 hours ago, zzt said:

mwc, I would not be too concerned about that.  I have 5 FF3s, 3 RTS2v4s and 3 DPPs.  One FF3 is sitting in a box waiting for me to finish my next build. Six of the remaining are mounted on reciprocating slides.  I've only ever had one failure. A DPP, two weeks old, stopped adjusting the brightness.  I sent it back and they either fixed it or sent a new one.  It has been used on my Steel Challenge gun all season without a hiccup.

The oldest sight have been slide mounted on my 1911 45.  40,000+ rounds later is it still going strong.  My bullseye loads make 156PF and major loads are 172PF.  The slide is not lightened in any way, so this sight has a violent ride.  It happens to be a FF3.  I have an RTS2 mounted directly to the slide on another 1911 45.  No problems with it either.  Can't speak to other brands, but I'd have no worries about slide mounting any of these three.

That certainly sounds encouraging, but you seem to be in the minority on Enos.  Most of my concerns stem from the Open forum, with many reports of scopes going out.  I don't know...maybe unhappy folks are more likely to post about equipment troubles.

mwc, I'm confident enough that I intend to put direct slide mounted dot on both the Open pistols I'm building now.  I shoot with two Open shooters who have slide mounted dots.  They both have no problems.  One of them is an M.  He has the original Deltapoint.  He told me he has tried them all and that was the only one that held zero all the time.  I have not had to rezero any of my slide mounted sights, but I constantly have to rezero my C-More Slideride frame mounted sight.  Go figure.