Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Recommendations

On 9/6/2018 at 12:39 PM, BartCarter said:

On all my PCC guns, I now use Eezox, a cleaner, protector and dry lube.  Does not attract any dirt and very easy to clean.  Now using on my pistols too with same results.  Hard to trust a dry lube at first, but it has proven itself to me.

I've been using Hornady One-Shot cleaner/dry lube on my 10/22s and Ruger PCC with very good results.  I wonder how it compares to Eezox or even if it's the same thing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I've been using Hornady One-Shot cleaner/dry lube on my 10/22s and Ruger PCC with very good results.  I wonder how it compares to Eezox or even if it's the same thing.

I know Eezox has been around over 20 years and I can't find anything negative about it.  I am up to 4 pistols and 2 PCCs.  I am going to start using it on my SS 1911 next.  I know others are and they say they have good results, no galling, which is the worry with SS.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, oteroman said:

My vote
Nordic Components AR9
It also has interchangeable mag. assemblies. I paid $1250
The trigger is a polished milspec.
I put in a 3.5lb. CMG Trigger for under $100 that breaks at 3lbs. Like glass. The Gun runs everything, wonderful machining.
You would be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also have the NC AR9, and I have zero complaints, except I had to change the trigger, depending on what you like 100-250 dollars.

But for a few more dollars you can get a brand new JP. Used GMR-13 are around for similar price if you don't have to have the bolt lock back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. For a price conscientious option has anyone had experience with the American Tactical (ATI) 9mm rifle? I have heard some positive reviews including American Rifleman testing. AR platform,takes Glock 9mm nags, free float rail and can be had for under $800.00. Thoughts?

After shooting a recent PCC match, here are the AR platform brands that I didn't observe failures.  I linked through to either complete rifles or you can buy the upper + lower:

(This doesn't include problems that appeared to me to be magazine related failures ... there were a lot of magazine failures from drums and extended mags)

btw, there were a lot of people in this thread talking about how sexy the JP looks ... if that's part of the decision, you should really look at the other options. In my opinion, all the others on this list look better and function well also (which is more important to me).  And if you want sexy, the GIBBS 9mm is great also ... the only reason it's not on the list above is that they don't have a complete rifle on their web site which is what OP asked for.

Edited by emjbe
added info about looks ...

I wanted to get in to pcc also and I searched the classifieds on here. Ended up with 2 home builds but both had super high quality parts. One is heavier with a 14.5” barrel and the other one is a ULW set up. I bought both so I could figure out which I like more and sell the other but that never happened lol. Kept both and most of the time I take both. If one goes down I have the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/24/2018 at 9:51 AM, SteelCityShooter said:

I've read the "Diving into the PCC Pool" thread but my question is a bit different so forgive me for starting a new thread on what seems to be the same topic.  

Background:  I'm a casual PCC shooter and shoot a monthly local Steel Challenge match and a couple of steel plate matches a year.   I'm not good but not terrible either and shoot for enjoyment.  I have no illusions of ever making master and at my age (76) major improvement isn't real likely. 

My current PCC is a Ruger PC Carbine set up with the Glock mag well, 33-round Glock magazines, a Taccom 2-chamber compensator and a Vortex Venom red dot on a bmiller rear sight replacement pic rail adapter.  I enjoy it a lot but wonder if something better might be fun to have.  Not essential but fun.  Money is a bit of an object but since iIve owned a Les Baer 1911, a $2000 gun isn't a show stopper.

So, my question is which 9 mm PCC's to consider?  I do NOT want to build one from parts, I want to buy a complete "turn-key" carbine which is why I started this new thread.

I gather the JP Enterprises GMR-15 is the current class act and I'm considering it but any other good candidates?  I'd like to stay with a Glock mag well but that isn't essential.

Thanks for your recommendations.  

Same as you, have a Ruger but wanted something else. I bought a PSA upper for $249.00 and PSA lower for $149.00 and have a good gun for $400.00 You can go from there and Mod as you see fit. But it is a great place to start. Just my .02 But the way they shoot great right from the start.  JD

Edited by JDIllon
1 hour ago, JDIllon said:

Same as you, have a Ruger but wanted something else. I bought a PSA upper for $249.00 and PSA lower for $149.00 and have a good gun for $400.00 You can go from there and Mod as you see fit. But it is a great place to start. Just my .02 But the way they shoot great right from the start.  JD

I went PSA upper as well but got the one for $329.  Actually came with the Taccom style bolt which was a bonus. KE Arms lower and JP trigger.  Added a Taccom 3 Stage short stroke kit.  Good to go.

The Sig MPX is the softest shooting PCC on the market due to it being piston driven. But it comes at a cost. You have to clean it often, you need to shoot the right ammo 130PF or more, you need to put in the right trigger (like Hiperfire or Triggertech), and you need to keep some small spare parts on hand. 

Edited by telligentgunner
18 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

The Sig MPX is the softest shooting PCC on the market due to it being piston driven. But it comes at a cost. You have to clean it often, you need to shoot the right ammo 130PF or more, you need to put in the right trigger (like Hiperfire or Triggertech), and you need to keep some small spare parts on hand. 

Screenshot_20181009-175816_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b17b628c279fb2a7983d4e1fcd90d3d5.jpg

over 8k rounds, cleaned after every match. I've had only one jamb due to a spent case bouncing off a wall and going into my ejection port. Still using all factory internals other than trigger 

4 hours ago, Underwood said:

over 8k rounds, cleaned after every match. I've had only one jamb due to a spent case bouncing off a wall and going into my ejection port. Still using all factory internals other than trigger 

The only internal change I made was putting in a Taccom recoil cushion.

What trigger are you running?

On 10/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, vgdvc said:

Hello. For a price conscientious option has anyone had experience with the American Tactical (ATI) 9mm rifle? I have heard some positive reviews including American Rifleman testing. AR platform,takes Glock 9mm nags, free float rail and can be had for under $800.00. Thoughts?

I use an ATI Milsport 9mm.  i like it a lot.  it does not care for shorter bullets.  Had some issues with 100gr loads that were to short.  I had a feed ramp cut into the barrel and it seems to run a little smoother.  I tried a spikes 9oz buffer and it was softer shooting but every once in while the trigger would not reset so went back to the stock one.

Customer service seems great.  I called them the day the hurricane in NC wanting to buy some spare firing pins.  Nice lady says well we are about to leave and not sure when we will reopen but give me your info.  About a week later I had two free firing pins.  Can't beat that.

I run a hiperfire 3G and 8 moa C-More and am pretty happy with it.  Less than half the price of a JP and lighter.  I run against several every month.  Win some lose some.

Edited by Andyk

Thanks for the feedback and input. Is there a need for backup firing pins? Do they break or are they soft? I have a used one coming to me soon I bought off of this forums classifieds. Looking forward to trying it out.

43 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the feedback and input. Is there a need for backup firing pins? Do they break or are they soft? I have a used one coming to me soon I bought off of this forums classifieds. Looking forward to trying it out.

Yes, get some spare parts.  We had a beautiful day here last weekend and I decided to clean my JP outside on the driveway preparing for match that weekend.   To fast forward, I removed the pin allowing the firing pin to drop and ended up loosing the small spring on the firing spring, so my JP is down right now as I wait on spring.  JP sells a nice complete kit (push pin, spring and new firing pin) and have three of them coming.  Personally, I'm going to change these small components out on all my competitive guns around Christmas time every year as "preventative maintenance".