Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm issues

sean_stw

I'm looking to get into open with a 2011 and was wondering what issues are there with getting 9mm to run reliably or things to watch out for? Like extraction/ejection, feeding/mag issues, do you have to pay closer attention to your brass things like that. Thanks 

I've heard 9mm has some issues with ejecting especially if your using a standard optic mount not a 90 degree but what is the real issues extractor, ejector, both or other issues? I've also heard some issues with mags like feeding issues and bullets in the mags getting jamed. do you have to pay careful attention to mags, are there betters mags and guts then others that have less issues and need less maintenance?  

And, on a 650, place the bullet at station 3 instead of 4.  That seals the case off so it doesn't spill when the pawl "pops" on the upstroke.  Helpful for 3n38.  

Edited by teros135

I built my own 9Major 2011. Had a lot of problems till I got the ejector and extractor right. I do NOT run a 90 degree mount, but it is offset.

I had problems with STI Gen 2 170mm mags and now run MBX. The 140 Gen 2 runs good once tuned.

As long as I keep it lubed, it eats any brass I feed it! I would not hessitate to build another.

My next qustion is i can get a pretty good deal on an sti trubor with a bunch of mags and other parts, would it be worth it for me to get the trubor or should I just save up some more money and just buy a new ck arms?

Sean....depends on the condition of the Trubor and price. I made the transition to Open with a ragged out 9mm Trubor just to see if I liked it. Well, I did ...the optics have brought a whole new renewal of shooting to my old eyes....it’s a wonderful thing.

Weeks after shooting the Trubor I ordered a Chaos from Adam and it’s beyond amazing. Other than my Limited Atlas Titan...best investment I’ve made in the sport.

The conversion to Major Open was a very interesting experience. A lot of trial and error on loads....but I’m finally there.

Best of luck....Open is fun for old guys!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Both my TruBors, with standard C-Mores, run 100% until they need new springs (every 3,000 rounds)    :)  

I never herd anyone put a round count on the spring before. That's good to know, I only change my springs at the end of the season. Maybe I should start changing them more often.

Just read through this open forum. You could read for weeks the threads started about this exact thing. Concerning loads, bad reloading, poorly tuned extractors, ejectors, a combination of x mount with x extractor set up. There are a lot of factors that play into any gun running. 9major seems to need more attention....sometimes it doesn’t. 

11 minutes ago, Shmella said:

Just read through this open forum. You could read for weeks the threads started about this exact thing. Concerning loads, bad reloading, poorly tuned extractors, ejectors, a combination of x mount with x extractor set up. There are a lot of factors that play into any gun running. 9major seems to need more attention....sometimes it doesn’t. 

Yeah I've read through a lot in this forum and there are so many conflicting opinions and experiences that its hard to really judge what is really common issues or special things to watch for with 9mm open. At matches I see more people having issues with 9mm open or open guns in general than any other division, ive been shooting limited a little this year and over about 3k rounds ive had absolutely zero issues and i dont go crazy with mag tunning and it doesnt need much maintenance. I know open is a different animal but im just looking for opinions on 9mm on reliability and things to watch for. 

54 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

Yeah I've read through a lot in this forum and there are so many conflicting opinions and experiences that its hard to really judge what is really common issues or special things to watch for with 9mm open. At matches I see more people having issues with 9mm open or open guns in general than any other division, ive been shooting limited a little this year and over about 3k rounds ive had absolutely zero issues and i dont go crazy with mag tunning and it doesnt need much maintenance. I know open is a different animal but im just looking for opinions on 9mm on reliability and things to watch for. 

I've been running 9 major for the better part of the year. I've had zero issues, I run an offset cmore to avoid the potential ejection issues. Plus the dot is closer to the slide and feels more natural to me. 

Is the Atlas Chaos really worth the extra $1500 it would cost over a ck arms thunder? When you figure I'm going to need to buy mags also that would probably cost around $500-600 unless i can find a good deal on some mags. It's kinda hard to justify spending over 6k to me to get into open unless the Atlas is really just that much better.

4 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

Is the Atlas Chaos really worth the extra $1500 it would cost over a ck arms thunder? When you figure I'm going to need to buy mags also that would probably cost around $500-600 unless i can find a good deal on some mags. It's kinda hard to justify spending over 6k to me to get into open unless the Atlas is really just that much better.

Yes yes yes. If nothing else besides the customer service. I have talked to Adam and the atlas crew about 10-15 times now and have yet to not have them answer me when I call. He called me from the range on his personal phone after test firing my Chaos. That’s dedication to your customers. 

4 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

Yes yes yes. If nothing else besides the customer service. I have talked to Adam and the atlas crew about 10-15 times now and have yet to not have them answer me when I call. He called me from the range on his personal phone after test firing my Chaos. That’s dedication to your customers. 

Atlas is gonna be at Area 8 championship this weekend and I'm gonna take a look at there gun and have a talk with them. I wonder if they would sell the gun without the optic and mount at a lower price seeing as i already have them, i guess that will be a question ill ask them.