Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC loads....fast/light vs. heavy/slow

I've searched this several ways and didn't get what I was looking for.  

What have you found to work better for 14.5" barrels with comps?

Does the faster/lighter load produce more gas to work the comp more?  Of does heavy/low, or typical 9mm minor load produce enough gas and still feel soft?  My guess is the faster/lighter combo would feel more like .223.

Thoughts?  

I don't think the comps work well enough at 14.5" or 16" for more gas to equal less overall recoil.

For me it's just a preference thing I like the lighter faster bullets just based on feel I don't think they feel any softer or more harsh than slow heavy, just different.

Totally agree with Garmil. There just isn't enough gas left to either stop the rearward movement of the gun, as with a brake, or push the muzzle down as with a compensator.

Have you ever wondered why the good folks who make those things never offer up any evidence as to why, and how their devices work?

Edited by MikieM

115’s juuuust under the speed of sound.  That’s my steel load and what I’ll shoot for local USPSA whenever I get back to that.  Barely makes PF and is soooo nice to shoot: accurate, quiet, near zero kick. 

Now, if you want a safe load to chrono at majors, 147s at 130-135pf are actually pretty nice.  

Edited by jkrispies
3 hours ago, jkrispies said:

115’s juuuust under the speed of sound.  That’s my steel load and what I’ll shoot for local USPSA whenever I get back to that.  Barely makes PF and is soooo nice to shoot: accurate, quiet, near zero kick. 

Now, if you want a safe load to chrono at majors, 147s at 130-135pf are actually pretty nice.  

Yeah, thats what mine are now, at least out of my pistol.  Haven't checked to see what they're doing in the carbine yet.

I've pretty much realized the 115-124gr rounds are the way to go.  I started out with 147gr, but I've settled on the 124gr rounds.  Comps don't produce enough gas to effectively control the recoil.  From what I've seen, all the comps do is make it easier for the RO to pick up the shots on the timer.

4 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I just got some bullets a few days ago, 4000 115's from Xtreme.  My target exactly, 115's about 1100fps. I have 3 different loads ready for the chrono.

I just shot the last of my 147's that were doing about 875fps. The range maintenance guy on Sunday asked me if it was suppressed !

9 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

I shoot slow/ heavy bullets in mine. But i have been wondering if a hotter load would work the comp better. Has anyone tried something closer to 9mm major in these guns? 

I shot some 9MAJOR out of mine and it’s almost punishing by PCC standards.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I shot some 9MAJOR out of mine and it’s almost punishing by PCC standards.

I was afraid of that. Figured you might get enough gas to work the comp but I would imagine you would need a really heavy recoil spring. 

3 hours ago, stick said:

From what I've seen, all the comps do is make it easier for the RO to pick up the shots on the timer.

Agreed.  Having said that, my 115’s doing 1100 have never had a problem with the timer, at least in Steel Challenge.  They’re really the way to go, at least for me.  

Edited by jkrispies

I run 140-143ish PF 124s through mine. I like it’s fast and flat handling much more than I did at 130pf, or the 147s I tried.

The comp on my gun does work - I’ve shot it with and without it and filmed the different. On this much barrel, it’s only going to flatten out the last 5 to 10% of the dot bounce. It’s a small little tap... but it’s there.

And as I’ve said in other posts, my gun is ultralight out front. That lack of stability would be bad in a long range rifle, but in this case I theorize that it makes it easier for the comp to push the muzzle around than a standard weight barrel and handguard.

There's a lot to said for 115  factory ammo, like Blazer Brass.

It recoils harder than my 147 3.2Titegroup, but the dot return to point of aim is quicker and my groups are tighter, but not by much.   And PCC cycles faster.

At $0.18 per round for Blazer, I can skip all the brass collecting, cleaning, sorting , reloading and case gauging.   This is almost the same as what it costs to make my own 147's.

With PCC its not like open or production where ammo choice can be very very important.

Edited by BlackBuzzard
5 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

There's a lot to said for 115  factory ammo, like Blazer Brass.

It recoils harder than my 147 3.2Titegroup, but the dot return to point of aim is quicker and my groups are tighter, but not by much.   And PCC cycles faster.

At $0.18 per round for Blazer, I can skip all the brass collecting, cleaning, sorting , reloading and case gauging.   

Blazer brass 115g is pretty much what I use 85% of the time.

I have been dabbling in some wolf steel case, but they are bi-metal bullet 

7 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Agreed.  Having said that, my 115’s doing 1100 have never had a problem with the timer, at least in Steel Challenge.  They’re really the way to go, at least for me.  

My 124gr going 980 have no problem either.

31 minutes ago, stick said:

My 124gr going 980 have no problem either.

Good for steel maybe but not USPSA unless you just want to shoot for fun.

PCC feels sluggish with 130< under PF, the sweet spot seems to be around 135-140. I’ve tested a couple of factory loads, federal, blazer, all of them were over 150+ PF out of 16” barrel. I prefer just a little dot movement to help call shot better than a squeaker 125pf load that doesn’t move.

First half of the year I shot with no muzzle break or comp, and since I started running a comp, it did make the felt recoil feel softer, doesn’t move as much in shoulder or when gripping lightly. 

WSF is the powder of choice for me at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Good for steel maybe but not USPSA unless you just want to shoot for fun.

PCC feels sluggish with 130< under PF, the sweet spot seems to be around 135-140. I’ve tested a couple of factory loads, federal, blazer, all of them were over 150+ PF out of 16” barrel. I prefer just a little dot movement to help call shot better than a squeaker 125pf load that doesn’t move.

First half of the year I shot with no muzzle break or comp, and since I started running a comp, it did make the felt recoil feel softer, doesn’t move as much in shoulder or when gripping lightly. 

WSF is the powder of choice for me at the moment. 

Oops! that was my Steel challenge load out of my Taccom ULW barrel for a 121PF

My USPSA load with my 16" barrel is actually 1054 FPS 130PF.  I was looking at the wrong gun in Strelok

Edited by stick

Hello: For a AR9mm the 124 grain bullets are the way to go. 131-134PF is where you want to be with a lightened bolt/buffer setup. For a Sig MPX the 115's at 145-148PF is the sweet spot. I tried 95-165 grain bullets and on the clock the 124's in the AR9mm are the best. They also work great out to 100 yards. Thanks, Eric