Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 recoil spring any preferences/

kmanick

You people do realize the recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling the slide movement with a specific recoil impulse/power factor? Stock S2 RS is a 13# spring and that is what should be used with full power loads.
A 10# RS represents a 24% decrease from stock. Talk about beat up ur gun long term with full power factory loads!

You should tell the CZ Factory Team that they are beating up their guns!

Robin runs a 9lb recoil spring, no buffer. To add insult to injury he told me in January that he had 80,000 rounds on his current spring [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Matt1 said:

You should tell the CZ Factory Team that they are beating up their guns!

Robin runs a 9lb recoil spring, no buffer. To add insult to injury he told me in January that he had 80,000 rounds on his current spring emoji15.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did he told u if this was with the same sh2  gun?😄

I was running an 8lb since I got the gun, but have switched to a 9lb as Robin Sebo says they work better. But he doesn't run a shock buff and I do, so I don't know that it really makes a difference there. What I've been told is that recoil springs are all about feeding the next round in, they do little to deal with the slide coming back, the hammer spring does more there. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

What I've been told is that recoil springs are all about feeding the next round in, they do little to deal with the slide coming back, the hammer spring does more there. 

Maybe that's what I'm experiencing as my S2 has an 11lb HS and the SP01 has the OEM HS out of the S2 (14-14.5lb I'm told). 

I'm thinking of giving the 10lb RS another try since front sight dip is the bigger issues for me.

I run a 10 lb RS in my TS shooting major PF .40, and it shoots super flat. I get a little nose dip with my SP01 with a 10 lb RS- I dont know why I never considered trying an 8 or 9 lb RS. I think I'll order a couple and see if I like them.

BTW, I've read CGW's blurb on picking a recoil spring. I think that is there because they are a business with liability concerns, and they are probably selling a lot more product to Timmies shooting defensive ammo, than they are to us few USPSA shooters. We are trying to take the next shot sooner, and if the gun wears out faster, oh well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use 9lb. with 150bb over 3.2TG in my TSO and ran a 10lb previously in a CZ-75.

I use a 10lb. With 200bb over 4.2 of VV320 in my major .40 pistol.

CGW haven’t sent me a cease and desist letter yet, so I think I’m good.

I’m glad to know this is for tuning, as I had done it strictly to batter my 1700$ pistol into pieces as quickly as possible.

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2018 at 8:18 AM, John_ said:

From the CZfirearms forum, dated March 2017, discussion of S2 specs:

As promised, here is a list of some dimensions of the internal parts, what is common across the spectrum and will cross reference:

S-2 hammer spring wire OD = .042" which equates to a 14 - 14.5 lb. hammer spring
S-2 recoil spring wire OD = .042" which equates to 13#'s
Firing pin spring wire OD - .029" which equates to OEM
Firing pin length = .2.468" which equates to OEM
S-2 Disco down leg center thickness dimension is .125"

This is a comparison of hammer hook heights, from the sear bed to the top of the hammer hooks:

S-2 = .028"
CZC = .025"
CGW = .016"

Everything in the frame is standard CZ Shadow as follows:
Grips
Sear, sear spring, sear pin & cage
Trigger, trigger pin & trigger return spring
Hammer, pivot pin, retaining peg, disco & strut
Safety detent & spring

What's different:
Manual safety is like the Tactical Sport & SP-01 Compact
Manual safety is unique to the S-2 and is the same as the SP-01 Compact

We'll get more info to the forum in the next few days.

LINK to this page and post (it's #12 down):  https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86823.30

Lol… go check that link again bud.. clearly incorrect and you’re literally the only one here running a 13# that’s way too heavy. You’re in a competition forum lol maybe go find one with weekend warriors who go to the range every weekend to practice for self defense and you will find one person who agrees that 13# is the proper weight to run, but absolutely too high for USPSA. Also, the stock recoil spring is 16-17# nobody knows for certain but this is best guess, the post you referenced has even been edited to fix his mistake 😂😂 Talk about looking like a chump..

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 3:55 AM, Tip3008 said:

Lol… go check that link again bud.. clearly incorrect and you’re literally the only one here running a 13# that’s way too heavy. You’re in a competition forum lol maybe go find one with weekend warriors who go to the range every weekend to practice for self defense and you will find one person who agrees that 13# is the proper weight to run, but absolutely too high for USPSA. Also, the stock recoil spring is 16-17# nobody knows for certain but this is best guess, the post you referenced has even been edited to fix his mistake 😂😂 Talk about looking like a chump..

Well....You are off to a fine start on the forum. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 7:51 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Well....You are off to a fine start on the forum. 

Lol I had to.. Dude was just roasting the guy for zero reason, and wasn’t even right 🤦🏻‍♂️ I did mean to quote a totally different reply of his where he was saying he was beating up his gun running a 10# spring and making “you guys do realize” statements.. My response does look a bit uncalled for on the particular comment by John I accidentally replied to, but if you go check his comments on the first page you will see what I mean haha

Edited by Tip3008

1 hour ago, Tip3008 said:

Lol I had to.. Dude was just roasting the guy for zero reason, and wasn’t even right 🤦🏻‍♂️ I did mean to quote a totally different reply of his where he was saying he was beating up his gun running a 10# spring and making “you guys do realize” statements.. My response does look a bit uncalled for on the particular comment by John I accidentally replied to, but if you go check his comments on the first page you will see what I mean haha

No....you didn't "have to".

I only shoot factory ammo out of a completely factory Shadow 2. Mostly Norma and Geco 124 gr which is 1180 ft/s according to the box or around 146 power factor. I get significant muzzle dip, most likely due to poor grip as I'm a pretty inexperienced shooter but is it worth trying a lighter recoil spring? It looks like most of you are running much lower pf ammo. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my shadow 2 I run 147’s with 3-3.1gr n320 128-130pf. No buffers and my slide is lightened.  I ran 11# for the first year then after deliberate testing realized my nose was slightly dipping but I had adjusting grip and fundamentals to compensate. Switched to 10# and have been happy with it thus far

On 11/7/2022 at 11:27 PM, crg said:

I only shoot factory ammo out of a completely factory Shadow 2. Mostly Norma and Geco 124 gr which is 1180 ft/s according to the box or around 146 power factor. I get significant muzzle dip, most likely due to poor grip as I'm a pretty inexperienced shooter but is it worth trying a lighter recoil spring? It looks like most of you are running much lower pf ammo. 

I love the Norma 124 also. It is not 1180 at the chrono like the box says, closer to 1050fps. I shot it at 4 majors last year, and made 130pf each time. Perfect. When on sale, I get it for around $13.99/box. I run a 10# recoil and and 10# hammer spring in my S2. The primers must be pretty soft, I've never had a light strike.

58 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I love the Norma 124 also. It is not 1180 at the chrono like the box says, closer to 1050fps. I shot it at 4 majors last year, and made 130pf each time. Perfect. When on sale, I get it for around $13.99/box. I run a 10# recoil and and 10# hammer spring in my S2. The primers must be pretty soft, I've never had a light strike.

Thanks a lot for the info, I've never chrono'd it so I had no idea and have just been blindly going by what the box says. I'll keep working on my grip but in that case maybe it is worth tinkering with the recoil spring also. I also ordered some 130pf 124gr reloads from Fenix ammunition so I can compare it back to back with the Norma, I suspect I won't be able to tell the difference.

• 1 month later...