Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 recoil spring any preferences/

kmanick

I just took receipt of the 13 an d1 pound springs from cajun today.

I'm using 147 Ibejiheads that come in right at 130 Pf, any one have preferences for these things or is it more of 

"gun by gun" specific type of thing?

I got my 11 pound hammer spring now too, (13 is in there now) and extended firing pin etc.

I want to tune this thing up a little more now that I got my CO slide back from CZC

Disco is probably next

1 hour ago, Frogshooter said:

I run a 10lb + standard buffer, I shoot factory ammo (Geco 124gr FMJ power factor is 130-131) or reloaded (Los/Campro 123gr, power factor 127-28).

You people do realize the recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling the slide movement with a specific recoil impulse/power factor? Stock S2 RS is a 13# spring and that is what should be used with full power loads.

A 10# RS represents a 24% decrease from stock. Talk about beat up ur gun long term with full power factory loads!

Edited by John_

32 minutes ago, John_ said:

You people do realize the recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling the slide movement with a specific recoil impulse/power factor? Stock S2 RS is a 13# spring and that is what should be used with full power loads.

A 10# RS represents a 24% decrease from stock. Talk about beat up ur gun long term with full power factory loads!

Forget my message, edited it :) 
But I think the Shadow 2 factory RS is...16 lb :D 

Edited by Frogshooter
Misunderstanding, thought John_ talked about a Tanfo Stock 2.

2 hours ago, John_ said:

Yes I do realize recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling slide movement etc.

However, you do realize that I’m shooting my reloads which I posted above. The gun only gets beat up long term if I’m using full power loads which I’m not.  My reloads are around 128 PF for USPSA Production Minor. Shoots flats and gets me back on target quickly and less felt recoil.

27 minutes ago, George16 said:

Yes I do realize recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling slide movement etc.

However, you do realize that I’m shooting my reloads which I posted above. The gun only gets beat up long term if I’m using full power loads which I’m not.  My reloads are around 128 PF for USPSA Production Minor. Shoots flats and gets me back on target quickly and less felt recoil.

Yes, 128 PF is what I get using reloads, 130 PF for factory ammo.
Saw some folks using 140+ PF, I wouldn't use a light RS with such loads which I never shoot.
The factory Shadow 2 RS is heavy enough to accept such loads, but I find it way too strong for me, Tanfo Stock 2 comes with a 11lb RS.

Edited by Frogshooter
Added text

5 hours ago, George16 said:

George, wasn't addressing you. We've had this discussion already, like two days ago. Remember?

Frog, you got a link to data or article that a CZ S2 stock is 16# recoil spring? Prove it to me please.

And read the thread title at the top......

Edited by John_

https://cajungunworks.com/technical-support/
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81992.0

Nobody can find "data" from CZ about this.
First, RS spring weight can vary from gun to gun. In my SP-01 my 11lb RS is measured at 11.5lb, I guess it's normal.
Secondly, CZ won't share technical data with the public. However a gunsmith should have all the data you want John.

Let me add that you're the one who boldly gave us a "stock Shadow 2 RS weight", so my turn: you got a link concerning the 13lb stock RS ? ? Prove it to me please.

From the CZfirearms forum, dated March 2017, discussion of S2 specs:

As promised, here is a list of some dimensions of the internal parts, what is common across the spectrum and will cross reference:

S-2 hammer spring wire OD = .042" which equates to a 14 - 14.5 lb. hammer spring
S-2 recoil spring wire OD = .042" which equates to 13#'s
Firing pin spring wire OD - .029" which equates to OEM
Firing pin length = .2.468" which equates to OEM
S-2 Disco down leg center thickness dimension is .125"

This is a comparison of hammer hook heights, from the sear bed to the top of the hammer hooks:

S-2 = .028"
CZC = .025"
CGW = .016"

Everything in the frame is standard CZ Shadow as follows:
Grips
Sear, sear spring, sear pin & cage
Trigger, trigger pin & trigger return spring
Hammer, pivot pin, retaining peg, disco & strut
Safety detent & spring

What's different:
Manual safety is like the Tactical Sport & SP-01 Compact
Manual safety is unique to the S-2 and is the same as the SP-01 Compact

We'll get more info to the forum in the next few days.

LINK to this page and post (it's #12 down):  https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86823.30

Edited by John_

8 hours ago, John_ said:

George, wasn't addressing you. We've had this discussion already, like two days ago. Remember?

Frog, you got a link to data or article that a CZ S2 stock is 16# recoil spring? Prove it to me please.

And read the thread title at the top......

John, when you said, “ You people do realize the recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling the slide movement with a specific recoil impulse/power factor?”, you were pretty much addressing everyone in this thread which include me. 

I know now we had a discussion about this two days ago. You asked me why I dropped my recoil spring to 10#. You said the stock was 14# and “ that was a 28% reduction”. I remember telling you that I shoot 128 PF mouse fart reloads.

CGWs guideline on recoil spring choice by measuring the ejection of about 6-8 feet away is very good for a defensive pistol imo. However, that will not be my choice for shooting competition like USPSA where I have to reacquire the target as quickly as possible. I also have to factor in recoil mitigation to keep the pistol shooting as flat as it can be without any muzzle dip. In addition to that, it has to be tailored to the loads I’m shooting to maximize the benefits which led me to using the 10# rds after testing 11, 13, 14# etc springs.

OP, I’m using CGWs 11# hammer spring, extended firing pin, reduced firing pin spring, floating trigger and able to light off all primers I had use so far. These includeWinchester, CCI, Remington and fioochi. Just make sure you seat the primers really good. Majority of light strikes are caused by high primers not seated deep enough.

3 hours ago, Frogshooter said:

That's what I said, you got no "data" to bring, only forum posts, juste like I did.

Now, open the link you've pasted here, next page, reply #50

Have fun.

The guy I quoted works at Cajun Gun Works, he has more knowledge on CZs than you will ever possess in ur entire lifetime. Ditto Tanfoglios.  That's the simple fact. You didn't even know what thread you were posting in to begin with with your 10# RS in ur Tanfo.  Now that's some funny chit right there :)  Good luck space froggy.

I'm done wasting my time with frogs.

Edited by John_

4 hours ago, George16 said:

John, when you said, “ You people do realize the recoil spring is chosen for proper ejection and controlling the slide movement with a specific recoil impulse/power factor?”, you were pretty much addressing everyone in this thread which include me. 

I know now we had a discussion about this two days ago. You asked me why I dropped my recoil spring to 10#. You said the stock was 14# and “ that was a 28% reduction”. I remember telling you that I shoot 128 PF mouse fart reloads.

CGWs guideline on recoil spring choice by measuring the ejection of about 6-8 feet away is very good for a defensive pistol imo. However, that will not be my choice for shooting competition like USPSA where I have to reacquire the target as quickly as possible. I also have to factor in recoil mitigation to keep the pistol shooting as flat as it can be without any muzzle dip. In addition to that, it has to be tailored to the loads I’m shooting to maximize the benefits which led me to using the 10# rds after testing 11, 13, 14# etc springs.

OP, I’m using CGWs 11# hammer spring, extended firing pin, reduced firing pin spring, floating trigger and able to light off all primers I had use so far. These includeWinchester, CCI, Remington and fioochi. Just make sure you seat the primers really good. Majority of light strikes are caused by high primers not seated deep enough.

Fair enough George. Your comment/thinking is def sound and i agree with it. I'm sure you have way more "hands on"/competition shooting experience than I. Thanks for sharing it.

While we're on the topic, are you guys using the shock buffers on your guide rods? I got a polymer rod for my S2 to make weight for CO and I haven't put the buffer back on. I figured I'd try it with and without buffer to see how it feels and performs when I practice tomorrow but wanted to see what you all are doing.

• 3 months later...

For those who have ran both the S1 & S2 have you found that the S2 needs a heavier or lighter spring to get similar results?  With the S2 I settled on an 11lb RS early on but recently picked up an SP01 and noticed it shoots flatter and the sights come back more consistently with the same spring.  Am I wrong in assuming the S2 should be the flatter shooting gun?