Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

4 minutes ago, STIboy said:

That's actually my plan for this afternoon.  Don't think I'll come up with the final word on it, but at least I'll have a better idea how they will run on the JP and my AR-15 w/ adapter.

Can't help with the price check, I usually just get it from JP directly.

Yeah I just don’t like paying retail as a rule.  Will probably keep an eye out for a gently used one. 

Edited by jkrispies
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I actually want to do a side-by-side comparison of these two myself to determine which will work best for my overall system.  

Whats the street price on the JP SCS short stroke, and anybody recommend a good place to purchase one?

Got mine for 174$ New with a discount code from strong side tactical 

7 hours ago, STIboy said:

That's actually my plan for this afternoon.  Don't think I'll come up with the final word on it, but at least I'll have a better idea how they will run on the JP and my AR-15 w/ adapter.

Okay, a few quick observations.

I ran two PCCs today.

1 - JP GMR-13, short stroke buffer, 14.5" barrel, brake, heat sink, 8.00 pounds

2 - AR-15 lower, Stern Defense 9mm adapter, Taccom short stroke buffer, Taccom upper with their 14.5" carbon fiber wrapped barrel with a 2.5" aluminum brake (don't see the barrel/brake configuration on their web site currently), foam handguard, 6.25 pounds.

I've been running the JP all season, and have been very happy with it.  Switched to the short stroke buffer mid-season and found it ran flatter.  Tried the Taccom one with the original adjustable buffer, and preferred the JP.

Result of putting around 40 rounds through each (aboput 135 pf, 115 HAP bullet over VV N350 powder):

- JP seemed to have less recoil

- Taccom shot flatter, with less dot bounce.

The results surprised me, but it was the first time I gave the Taccom short stroke buffer a try.  The rifle, as configured, is noticeably lighter than the JP, which I would have expected would result in *more* dot bounce, but it didn't.  I have an IDPA match I may try in a couple of weeks just to see how it works in a competition.  I'll report back afterward.

Edited by STIboy
1 hour ago, STIboy said:

Okay, a few quick observations.

I ran two PCCs today.

1 - JP GMR-13, short stroke buffer, 14.5" barrel, brake, heat sink, 8.00 pounds

2 - AR-15 lower, Stern Defense 9mm adapter, Taccom short stroke buffer, Taccom upper with their 14.5" carbon fiber wrapped barrel with a 2.5" aluminum brake (don't see the barrel/brake configuration on their web site currently), foam handguard, 6.25 pounds.

I've been running the JP all season, and have been very happy with it.  Switched to the short stroke buffer mid-season and found it ran flatter.  Tried the Taccom one with the original adjustable buffer, and preferred the JP.

Result of putting around 40 rounds through each (aboput 135 pf, 115 HAP bullet over VV N350 powder):

The results surprised me, but it was the first time I gave the Taccom short stroke buffer a try.  The rifle, as configured, is noticeably lighter than the JP, which I would have expected would result in *more* dot bounce, but it didn't.  I have an IDPA match I may try in a couple of weeks just to see how it works in a competition.  I'll report back afterward.

Interesting info.  I’m continuing to play with my TACCOM.  I’m going to try it in a Steel Challenge match tomorrow. Will see how it goes.  

13 hours ago, STIboy said:

Taccom has this $hit figured out!

My gun is a bit over 6#, which I think is on the lighter side of a gun with a 16" barrel and no carbon fiber parts.

The Taccom3 with short stroke kit is very flat shooting.

When my shooting bud and I get together again I will attempt to shoot a short video of the muzzle during firing.

I think I may have finally gotten my TACCOM short stroke dialed in.  I basically took out the "short stroke kit" with the delrin head and wave spring and ran it with the regular stainless head but a longer spacer behind in the butt.  It ran 100% through a full Steel Challenge match (actually more reliably than with the standard spacer length) and some guys were commenting on how quick my pick up shots were.  It felt a little more snappy, but I was definitely making the pickups well.  So, in other words, the gun performed better than me, LOL.

13 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I think I may have finally gotten my TACCOM short stroke dialed in.  I basically took out the "short stroke kit" with the delrin head and wave spring and ran it with the regular stainless head but a longer spacer behind in the butt.  It ran 100% through a full Steel Challenge match (actually more reliably than with the standard spacer length) and some guys were commenting on how quick my pick up shots were.  It felt a little more snappy, but I was definitely making the pickups well.  So, in other words, the gun performed better than me, LOL.

Can you show us with a pic of the setup?  Thanks

Did some light testing myself today. I'm running a new GMR15. My last 2 GMR13s are over 65,000 rounds each and still going strong. 

The JP short stroke system is very nice. I was able to slam about 500 rounds through it this morning. The recoil impulse is actually quite soft. In my hands with 139 PF 147 grain bullets I had a very consistent and repeatable dot. Very little movement in any direction made for a fun practice session.

I'll be bringing this gun out to matches in the area for folks to run as a loaner. Typically we run 2-4 shooters on the same JP at matches. Folks love it because they can just refill a man between stages and the gun flat runs. 

3 hours ago, LtdShooter said:

would be interested in the length of the spacer used...

I can measure it and post the length... but I use a rifle length extension tube so I'm not sure that it would do folks much good since everybody else in the world uses a carbine length.  Basically I just experimented with a varying lengthed stack of quarters at the range till I got the most reliable setup (relatively speaking, it still wasn't perfect  at the time because I was using the TACCOM short stroke polymer head and wave spring that I eventually discarded) and then I cut a delrin rod to that length.  I may end up playing with the length of the rod some more, but this is working pretty well, and if I had any sense I'd probably leave well enough alone.  I'm also going to add a bit of powder to my load (it's working great in the PCC but I'm trying to share the load in my single stack and the pistol needs a little more PF) so I won't make any adjustments till that's done.

5 hours ago, dlightning said:

Can you show us with a pic of the setup?  Thanks

What exactly would you like a photo of?  The spacer?  I used a 1" diameter delrin rod I got off Amazon and drilled a hole down the middle so it wouldn't air seal when I shoved it into the butter tube.  It's pretty straightforward.  

3 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

The JP short stroke system is very nice. I was able to slam about 500 rounds through it this morning. The recoil impulse is actually quite soft. In my hands with 139 PF 147 grain bullets I had a very consistent and repeatable dot. Very little movement in any direction made for a fun practice session.

The TACCOM seems to be working well but I'm really curious to experiment with a JP just to see how it feels and if I might prefer the impulse of that design... because it really is a different approach to the same problem.  The TACCOM is very useable, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm complaining about it, but it feels like the overall system has the potential to be less harsh, and my inner tinkerer is egging me on.  I'm just not sure if I have $200 worth of curiosity to test the JP over the TACCOM...

Edited by jkrispies
2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I can measure it and post the length... but I use a rifle length extension tube so I'm not sure that it would do folks much good since everybody else in the world uses a carbine length.  Basically I just experimented with a varying lengthed stack of quarters at the range till I got the most reliable setup (relatively speaking, it still wasn't perfect  at the time because I was using the TACCOM short stroke polymer head and wave spring that I eventually discarded) and then I cut a delrin rod to that length.  I may end up playing with the length of the rod some more, but this is working pretty well, and if I had any sense I'd probably leave well enough alone.  I'm also going to add a bit of powder to my load (it's working great in the PCC but I'm trying to share the load in my single stack and the pistol needs a little more PF) so I won't make any adjustments till that's done.

What exactly would you like a photo of?  The spacer?  I used a 1" diameter delrin rod I got off Amazon and drilled a hole down the middle so it wouldn't air seal when I shoved it into the butter tube.  It's pretty straightforward.  

The TACCOM seems to be working well but I'm really curious to experiment with a JP just to see how it feels and if I might prefer the impulse of that design... because it really is a different approach to the same problem.  The TACCOM is very useable, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm complaining about it, but it feels like the overall system has the potential to be less harsh, and my inner tinkerer is egging me on.  I'm just not sure if I have $200 worth of curiosity to test the JP over the TACCOM...

My Taccom3 with the short stroke add on was 110$, plus shipping.

9 hours ago, TRUBL said:

free shipping

I apologize, I've had it for a few months and didn't remember that.

5 hours ago, Neomet said:

Keep an eye on the wave springs in the Taccom3 units.  I know of instances with three different shooters where the spring actually broke.  One had under 1K rounds on it, the other two I do not know.

Well, If my wave spring does break, TRUBL will ship me a replacement for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 3:17 AM, PINMAN44 said:

If you guys need a JP discount code pm me. 

Hello Everyone,

Due to an 11 year long battle with substantially worsening health problems of all kinds I have informed all sponsors and industry friends to cancel my discount codes and individual sponsorship. Thank you for all the messages in regard to the code but I believe it will no longer be able to be used. 

I can tell you that I trust my life to JP products and their customer service/dedication to the customer, long term business longevity, and quality is superb.  I believe they can help you with all your needs.

This will be my last post as I am extremely ill.  I shall be leaving the industry.  

Thank you all for the kind words.  

On 1/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, funkymonkey1111 said:

do you prefer the PWS over the JP?

Well I am using the JP short stroke silent capture spring in a PWS rifle.  So I am not sure I can answer that. I do like the reduced recoil on my stock ammo.  I do feel that 147 grain is the best with lightest recoil hit.  I do have to save over the weekend I shot a buddies MPX and if you truly want reduced recoil go with that.  Wow almost has so little recoil it is disorienting.