Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

Drumroll please...............................

The results are in and as expected, I checked 3 different loads, one factory and 2 mine. All 3 were between 225 and 300fps faster out of the carbine than my M&P, full size.

The Blaser Brass 115gr and my 115gr were pretty close both right around 1100fps out of my handgun. This was about 40fps under published, for my load. There is no velocity listed on the box of Blaser. Out of the PCC gun they they were both well over 1300fps, 1325 to 1384. I checked each load 2 different times with 3 rounds the first time and 2 the second time. I would have preferred to shoot more but I have a match tomorrow and am getting close on ammo. 4000 115gr bullets from Xtreme will be here Monday !

The surprise was the 147gr load. It was about 150fps slower than published out of the M&P, most rounds stove piped. Out of the PCC gun they were right at minor pf, 870fps. Boy do they shoot soft with NO dot movement, or as little as possible. I'm not sure why they were so slow but I ran into this problem earlier this year. My good friend who has been having health issues wanted to shoot the Single Stack Classic this year. Back in the day we went every year. Well, my last classifier before PCC this year was 2005, and also the last time I chronographed ammo for a match. I was beating my head against the wall trying to come up with a .45acp load that made major but didn't kick the s**t out of you. I think I finally settled on N350 and all was good. I bet I tried 8 or 10 different powders that were all around 150fps slower than the load data said.The exception was Titegroup, but it was very snappy. I have no explanation other than liability on the part of the powder companies, if any one knows, don't be shy.

Takeaway...................................... for a PCC load I would target something 150fps slower than you need and chrono. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Match is over for today and the Taccom3 was spectacular! I had enough ammo to shoot 4 of 6 stages with 147gr reloads at about a 130pf. That stuff was sweet, the other two I had to use my 115gr reloads that I chrono yesterday at 1375fps. Better than the old buffer system but not nearly as nice as the 130pf stuff. I even had a 8.2ish HF on the classifier! 

I think that will be the target going forward, a pf of 130ish.

The Taccom3 was a good buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Match is over for today and the Taccom3 was spectacular! I had enough ammo to shoot 4 of 6 stages with 147gr reloads at about a 130pf. That stuff was sweet, the other two I had to use my 115gr reloads that I chrono yesterday at 1375fps. Better than the old buffer system but not nearly as nice as the 130pf stuff. I even had a 8.2ish HF on the classifier! 

I think that will be the target going forward, a pf of 130ish.

The Taccom3 was a good buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your 115gr load is 158 power factor...  pretty stout!

Congrats on the classifier score...

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Your 115gr load is 158 power factor...  pretty stout!

Congrats on the classifier score...

Thank you!

Go a few posts up and I explained what I all did when I chronographed my ammo. I was surprised it was THAT much faster out of the rifle, but it was.

PS..................... I love your screen name and avatar. That show was BAD ASS, as was Raylon, and it ended at least three seasons too early !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Wace springs come in 5 packs, so you have spares... and they’re easy to shorten. :D 

Try cutting one “turn” off the spring. I did that, and it made it possible for my franken-guard to lock back manually if driven backward hard, but more importantly tripping the bolt release now requires a normal amount of force. No GI Joe Kung-Fu grip.

Gun still recoiled exactly the same.

Ended up having to cut 2 turns off of the spring before I could get it to lock back manually.  Unfortunately, I could not get out to the USPSA match this past weekend, and I won't be able to get to the range again until mid-September to test it out.  But those things are tough.  I barely scratched it with pliers, and I didn't have my Dremel handy.  I ended up using a small file to work through it.

Edited by JAFO
16 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

The bolt doesn't have to lock back manually, unless it's just something you want it to do...  It just has to reset the trigger.

My issue is that the bolt would lock back under recoil, but it was so tight against the catch that I had to slam the lever HARD to release it.  During a normal match, manually locking back is just for convenience when flagging.  But I have a Hosefest coming up with 50+ round stages.  I don't plan on running dry, but sh!t happens.  ?

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

My issue is that the bolt would lock back under recoil, but it was so tight against the catch that I had to slam the lever HARD to release it.  During a normal match, manually locking back is just for convenience when flagging.  But I have a Hosefest coming up with 50+ round stages.  I don't plan on running dry, but sh!t happens.  ?

Since I bought the awesome Taccom3 buffer system, I have the same deal going. The bolt slides back without effort until it doesn't ! It's not really hard to lock it back manually, but I never hit the lever and sent it. I felt there was more pressure on the bolt than was probably good for it or the barrel extension if this was done many times over.

One match with it so far and the RO was more than happy to help out with the flag. Sooner or later that will not be the case and I will lock it back but let it forward with help.

Now every start is basically and unloaded start, just not on the clock. 

4 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Since I bought the awesome Taccom3 buffer system, I have the same deal going. The bolt slides back without effort until it doesn't ! It's not really hard to lock it back manually, but I never hit the lever and sent it. I felt there was more pressure on the bolt than was probably good for it or the barrel extension if this was done many times over.

One match with it so far and the RO was more than happy to help out with the flag. Sooner or later that will not be the case and I will lock it back but let it forward with help.

Now every start is basically and unloaded start, just not on the clock. 

Does Taccom sell a lighter internal spring?

I put the short stroke kit in my two PCC's and my daughter's PCC.  I ran my SCSA PCC first.  I didn't have a problem until I got about 40 rounds in.  Then Trigger freeze.  I called Tim @ Taccom and he recommended that I remove the rear delrin spacer from the spring.  The gun functioned fine afterwards.  I removed the rear delrin spacer from the other two before testing them.  I didn't have another problem.  I did notice a difference in the recoil of the guns with the short stroke kit installed.  The dot had less bounce and the recoil was a short upward movement.  The gun shot very flat.

10 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Does Taccom sell a lighter internal spring?

Not that I'm aware of. It really isn't a problem though, just a different way to load the gun than I was used to. I would imagine the spring in it is weighted for factory 115gr loads, I would probably not want to change it. If you have to buy ammo at a match, you could have problems. 

I’ve used the new JP system in my GMR-15 for the past 2 weeks now. It seems like it cycles faster to me, but it may just be psychological. Recoil seems low, but I can’t say if it is lower than with the stock. Definitely a bit more painful to not be able to lock the bolt back to flag/reflag for the make ready. I forgot to charge once before starting which was somewhat embarrassing, but I guess it’s a learning curve...beep...click...huh?...Dang...charge...bang. My wife kept hers stock, didn’t want to fix something that wasn’t broken, and she’s still beating me for the most part, but  it’s probably me and NOT the gun.

TL:DR The JP kit in the GMR-15 is nice. I do honestly think it’s better than the stock, but maybe marginally so. That said, this is a game of tenths of a second, so it probably does make a difference in the end. The question is if it is worth the $$ to you, and that’s a different question for each person.

9 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

Put together a parts PCC. Went with the Taccom buffer. Shot it for a couple hundred rounds, then stuck the SSK into it.

Man, what a difference. I love the way it feels. Much faster and flatter. Very happy so far.

Sorry, "SSK"? I checked and found an SSK industries, but couldn't find anything appropriate for a PCC.

2 hours ago, STIboy said:

Ah. Thanks.

Tried to get the short stroke kit into my other PCC with the TacCom setup, but had some trouble getting it in past the buffer pin.  I'll try again today to make it work.

FWIW no  AR needs the buffer pin.  I pull all of mine.  Saw a buddy break one off and jam his trigger up.  You just need to hold the buffer with a finger when you are either breaking down or reassembling the upper.  

3 hours ago, STIboy said:

Ah. Thanks.

Tried to get the short stroke kit into my other PCC with the TacCom setup, but had some trouble getting it in past the buffer pin.  I'll try again today to make it work.

It was a PIA!  Here's what I did short of taking out the buffer retaining pin.  

I had the problem with the wave spring getting caught up on the buffer retaining pin.  put in the entire assembly except the new delrin spacer (The one that replaces the metal one on the 3 stage buffer) push back the wave spring and assembly with your finger and push in the delrin spacer.  I had to do it twice for each of the 3 PCC's I had.  The rear delrin spacer had to be removed because the trigger would reset consistently.  So, I had a lot of practice putting in the short stroke kit.

OR

You could just remove the buffer retaining pin

3 hours ago, stick said:

It was a PIA!  Here's what I did short of taking out the buffer retaining pin.  

I had the problem with the wave spring getting caught up on the buffer retaining pin.  put in the entire assembly except the new delrin spacer (The one that replaces the metal one on the 3 stage buffer) push back the wave spring and assembly with your finger and push in the delrin spacer.  I had to do it twice for each of the 3 PCC's I had.  The rear delrin spacer had to be removed because the trigger would reset consistently.  So, I had a lot of practice putting in the short stroke kit.

OR

You could just remove the buffer retaining pin

Actually......I think in the instructions (not sure) We tell you to insert the empty buffer into the buffer tube, then insert the components. It's a lot easier that way. And if it's not in the instructions....it should be!! I know when people call me up, I have them do it that way with no issues.

I am....one of those guys that had a detent pin break once.....just once.....I on longer use the detent pin and I know s#!t is gonna fly all over the place if I am not careful opening up the gun for maintenance.