Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

36 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

That's good to hear, I just pulled the trigger( that was funny on this forum) on the short stroke kit for my Taccom3 buffer.

If it's half as good as everyone says it is it will be 20$ well spent!

One question.............I have the bolt weight out now, the recoil was softer this way. Should I expect to be putting it back in ?

Why not try it both ways...

Edited by STIboy
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, cvincent said:

How far forward of the bolt catch would you say the bolt is when pulled fully to the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The JP short stroke buffer has one additional weight and o-ring on the shaft, which is about 0.57".  I'd estimate that the bolt stops about 1/4" short of being able to engage the release.

1 hour ago, SJMPCC022 said:

That's good to hear, I just pulled the trigger( that was funny on this forum) on the short stroke kit for my Taccom3 buffer.

If it's half as good as everyone says it is it will be 20$ well spent!

One question.............I have the bolt weight out now, the recoil was softer this way. Should I expect to be putting it back in ?

Leave the weight out.

i tried the Taccom short stroke kit and it worked well for the first few hundred rounds.  After that the wave spring was compressed to the point where my bolt would lock back again.  I don’t like wave springs for that reason.

Now I’m just running a blitzkrieg buffer, 308 Rifle spring, and Delrin spacer at the rear of the tube.  The dot settles very quickly.

15 hours ago, cvincent said:

Those of you who are short stroking; how short are you going? For instance, I’m testing right now, and I’m 2 quarters from the trigger not resetting. While zero’ing the gun from a front and rear bag, the gun full auto’d twice. Wasn’t able to duplicate it while shouldered. JuSt wondering what other people are using as a reference of “short stroke”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Taccom Short stroke kit and a delrin spacer that is about 3/4".  Minimal dot movement compared to everything else I have tried.  Also have the weight removed from a Taccom style bolt.

11 hours ago, STIboy said:

Why not try it both ways...

I planned on it . Just looking for real world feedback.

10 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

i tried the Taccom short stroke kit and it worked well for the first few hundred rounds.  After that the wave spring was compressed to the point where my bolt would lock back again.  I don’t like wave springs for that reason.

Also good to know. I guess if the wave spring gets flattened out I will get a length of delrin rod and make my own.

Used to have tons of it in the shop I used to work at, not anymore.

Amazon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

14 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

Also good to know. I guess if the wave spring gets flattened out I will get a length of delrin rod and make my own.

Grainger has it for cheap.  Like $5 per foot.

If you’re going to use the Taccom buffer then just use it without the short stroke kit with a Delrin spacer in the tube.  That’s my $.02.  I’ve tried both.

2 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I have about 500 rds on the wave spring and it looks fine. If it does flatten out I will replace it. Cheap for the amount of performance it gives. Linger spacer will eliminate lock back.

I got my Taccom short stroke kit yesterday and installed it. I had a chance to shoot a bit last night, and man were you guys right ! The dot barely moves.

I had a friend of mine shoot it so I could watch the muzzle from the side.....very steady !

On 10/4/2018 at 6:54 AM, SJMPCC022 said:

I got my Taccom short stroke kit yesterday and installed it. I had a chance to shoot a bit last night, and man were you guys right ! The dot barely moves.

I had a friend of mine shoot it so I could watch the muzzle from the side.....very steady !

Are you using the taccom bufffer with the short stroke kit?

2 hours ago, andrewt556 said:

So the short stroke kit kind of enchantes the 3 stage buffer system even more?

It does. It replaces the front( bolt side) steel plunger with a longer delrin plunger that has a wave spring on it. It doesn't shorten the stroke up a whole lot, but it must be enough, going by the felt recoil and dot/muzzle bounce. You just take the existing one out and put the new one in. The plunger and spring are plastic so it is MUCH softer against the bolt than the steel one was.

The first thing I noticed when I shot it was the sound. It was much quieter than the steel plunger hitting the steel bcg, makes sense.

You basically have two plungers with a very stiff spring between them. The front plunger is plastic and there is a plastic plug on the back end of the big spring. I don't see how you could do much more to soften the movement of the bcg and the buffer? ( someone who uses a Blitzkrieg will say a hydraulic one)

I also took the weight block out of my bcg, it is softer than with it in, and everything functions just fine !

16 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

It does. It replaces the front( bolt side) steel plunger with a longer delrin plunger that has a wave spring on it. It doesn't shorten the stroke up a whole lot, but it must be enough, going by the felt recoil and dot/muzzle bounce. You just take the existing one out and put the new one in. The plunger and spring are plastic so it is MUCH softer against the bolt than the steel one was.

The first thing I noticed when I shot it was the sound. It was much quieter than the steel plunger hitting the steel bcg, makes sense.

You basically have two plungers with a very stiff spring between them. The front plunger is plastic and there is a plastic plug on the back end of the big spring. I don't see how you could do much more to soften the movement of the bcg and the buffer? ( someone who uses a Blitzkrieg will say a hydraulic one)

I also took the weight block out of my bcg, it is softer than with it in, and everything functions just fine !

Have you tried putting that wave spring spacer in front of a standard buffer and spring. I wonder how that would turn out. 

1 hour ago, andrewt556 said:

Have you tried putting that wave spring spacer in front of a standard buffer and spring. I wonder how that would turn out. 

I have not. I have gotten a few suggestions on here about what to do. I figured I would start out doing it their way, and if I didn't like it, I could adjust from there.

I have a match Sunday and I will try to shoot a little Saturday. I have maybe 50rds since I put the short stroke kit in. I really like it, but Sunday will tell. 

I have also seen on here that wave springs come in different weights and are pretty cheap. It wouldn't be too big a deal to try it out.

Edited by SJMPCC022
content

At TACCOM, we actually have a spring cushion on both ends of the buffer, the short stroke kit really enhances the front end for rebound, but also splits the total weight of bolt/buffer upon recoil. Also, the short stroke kit pretty much shortens the stroke required to cock the trigger......it is the bare minimum. The part that replaces the steel plunger is made of delrin, so while it is 'plastic' it it pretty much an engineered polymer. As for comparing it to the blitzkrieg? As good or better now basically, just as smooth (but it is oh so personal), less cost as this all fits in a standard carbine buffer tube, and being pretty much 100% mechanical and the fact that we engineered the spring travel (won't wear out).....our system is not going to break in a match.

7 hours ago, TRUBL said:

At TACCOM, we actually have a spring cushion on both ends of the buffer, the short stroke kit really enhances the front end for rebound, but also splits the total weight of bolt/buffer upon recoil. Also, the short stroke kit pretty much shortens the stroke required to cock the trigger......it is the bare minimum. The part that replaces the steel plunger is made of delrin, so while it is 'plastic' it it pretty much an engineered polymer. As for comparing it to the blitzkrieg? As good or better now basically, just as smooth (but it is oh so personal), less cost as this all fits in a standard carbine buffer tube, and being pretty much 100% mechanical and the fact that we engineered the spring travel (won't wear out).....our system is not going to break in a match.

I have a about 1/2" of spacer shortening the stroke further with your 3-stage short stroke kit.  Resets my JP trigger reliably and get less movement than with the spacer removed. You could maybe offer a "spacer kit" of various sizes for those that want to shorten the stroke further.  I have "concaved" a bunch of quarters through experimentation.  I hope no one tries them in a vending machine. :)

16 minutes ago, 3gunnuts said:

I have a about 1/2" of spacer shortening the stroke further with your 3-stage short stroke kit.  Resets my JP trigger reliably and get less movement than with the spacer removed. You could maybe offer a "spacer kit" of various sizes for those that want to shorten the stroke further.  I have "concaved" a bunch of quarters through experimentation.  I hope no one tries them in a vending machine. :)

We did that and while it did work......we have so many of the wave springs we tried doing the spacer/spring combo in the front and it worked so much better that we went that way. But yes, adding a spacer in the back really helps too!!

side note.....yeah.....doing quarters makes you realize that the bottom of the tube is not flat  :)

Edited by TRUBL
14 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I am assuming you were referring to my post a few up from here , many of the references are exactly the same.

I was talking up( not down) the Taccom3 buffer, and the short stroke kit.

Thanks for putting out a great product !

9 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I am assuming you were referring to my post a few up from here , many of the references are exactly the same.

I was talking up( not down) the Taccom3 buffer, and the short stroke kit.

Thanks for putting out a great product !

yep....saw that......you done good and I appreciate the good feed back!!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tha1000 said:

I thought you might add additional weight/spacers. I don’t know though, hence the question. 

Ah, sorry.  The 4 weight version of the buffer has room for only 4 weights.  Can't add a 5th.  The 5 weight (non-short stroke) version has a longer area to hold the weights, and the short version of the stop.  That allows full travel length before the buffer bottoms out.  On the short stroke version, the shaft has room for 5 weights, but uses the long buffer stop to allow a shorter length of travel.  The conversion kit gives you more tungsten weights and the longer buffer stop to convert the standard 5 weight version to the short stroke one..

38 minutes ago, STIboy said:

Ah, sorry.  The 4 weight version of the buffer has room for only 4 weights.  Can't add a 5th.  The 5 weight (non-short stroke) version has a longer area to hold the weights, and the short version of the stop.  That allows full travel length before the buffer bottoms out.  On the short stroke version, the shaft has room for 5 weights, but uses the long buffer stop to allow a shorter length of travel.  The conversion kit gives you more tungsten weights and the longer buffer stop to convert the standard 5 weight version to the short stroke one..

JP emailed and said it works...  now I'm going to have to follow up with them and play quiz bowl..