Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

Did you perhaps leave a couple quarters in your buffer tube by mistake from a previous attempt at short stroking? Just thinking of how you might be getting issues with your trigger resetting. I know my 3 JP triggers all reset with the 2 different SCS systems I have. I know you asked about the HF. 

8 hours ago, AHI said:

Any body install the JP kit with a Hiperfire trigger and now have a 3% fail to reset 

(dead trigger ) issue?

If anyone needs help buying either the SCS upgrade or would like to know where I ended up on my SCS weight optimization journey feel free to PM me. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no quarters have been used 100% ,    This is a JP gun.

Runs 100% with original JP buffer. I am thanking the 

Hiperfire needs a little more stroke. A possible tolerance

stacking issue.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:53 PM, PINMAN44 said:

This will be my last post as I am extremely ill.  I shall be leaving the industry.  

Thank you all for the kind words. 

That took a lot of courage, I don't know you but I respect you immensely.

Assuming you are a man of faith, prayers will be coming your way.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:53 PM, PINMAN44 said:

Hello Everyone,

Due to an 11 year long battle with substantially worsening health problems of all kinds I have informed all sponsors and industry friends to cancel my discount codes and individual sponsorship. Thank you for all the messages in regard to the code but I believe it will no longer be able to be used. 

I can tell you that I trust my life to JP products and their customer service/dedication to the customer, long term business longevity, and quality is superb.  I believe they can help you with all your needs.

This will be my last post as I am extremely ill.  I shall be leaving the industry.  

Thank you all for the kind words.  

Good luck to you sir, my prayers are with you.  

• 3 weeks later...

I added the short stroke spacer and 2 tungsten weights to an enhanced buffer- used to be 2 tungsten and 3 aluminum, now it is 4-1 and the spacer. For me it is a sewing machine, super smooth and fast and dot wiggle is way reduced. I would have to say it is done at this point, tried it on a bunch of different loads and weights, all cycled well but i am liking 147s and slow speeds best. Cheap brazer aluminum case 147s feel super nice. Stock spring, could possibly go lower but i am thinking i want to use different loads for different tasks.

This gun is new to me as is the platform, I am still learning the trigger and am almost through my first 1000 rounds. Really liking the accuracy, longer shots my trigger control is not perfect yet. I am pulling a little too hard still, but the dot is staying put.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:36 PM, JAFO said:

That may depend on how you short-stroke it.  When I backstopped my bolt using quarters, I got more dot jump than I get with a wave spring.  Currently, I'm using the Blitzkrieg with a single wave washer.  The bolt runs right to the bolt catch.  I can't manually pull back to the catch, but it will work under recoil (although it's tough to release).  I'm hoping that will get better as the springs break in, as both the recoil spring and the wave spring are new.

Where are you placing the wave spring in your setup? 

Ran the stock JP buffer system for about a year, then changed over to the JP short stroke system. Tried the JP short stroke system with both 115's and 145's (JP bolt too).  Was there a difference?  It was small, but in my opinion, fine tuning these high performance firearms is a game of making small changes to find the ultimate set up.  I'm a bit geeky, so I enjoy finding these small improvements.  On that same geeky note, I was having an occasional issue with FTF with a partially loaded magazine (Colt style), and I put in the 5% increased power magazine springs and it solved that issue.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:00 PM, Neomet said:

Is it just me or is this an $87 solution to something that a stack of 4 or 5 quarters quarters could do equally well??

Quarters behind a SCS will most likely cause you issues considering your moving the whole mass forward. Basically you guide rod will be further into the reciver while in battery. 

41 minutes ago, ABQautoxer said:

Anyone running the conversion kit with syntech ammo? Wondering if I can safely just do it and run an event Saturday or if I should be more cautious? My kit arrives today.

I'm running coated bulkets. If it's the same as what yoyour ve been running. I wouldn't expect any new issues. 

I have been running a GMR13 for 2 years with the oringinal 4 weight SCS. I just upgraded with the new SS. I think it's a l better recoil impulse. I also bought a complete SS SCS for a cheap build I put together. It was a complete lower with a standard traditional buffer and spring with a spikes aluminum spacer. It was a punisher until I put the new JP SS. It's a world of difference. It's actually fun to shoot now 

Just now, ABQautoxer said:

My concern is just it properly cycling because of the soft PF of the 150gr syntech. I’ll probably just do it and bring some higher stuff if it acts up.

Shoot it. The JP SCS and Short Stroke SCS will cycle just fine. I've shot sub 105 PF ammo through a good many configurations and they all cycle. You have to get pretty low for issues to start. 

Happy shooting, let us know how you enjoy the kit 🍻

Was doing some more testing in preparation for match tomorrow, the heavy 5 enhanced was too much weight for my ammo , would occasionally not cycle ,so took 1 tungsten weight out and switches to stainless,cycles ok now so for factory ammo the 5 tungsten is soft . So the SCS is 4 tungsten and 1 stainless enhanced . Ammo 135 blue bullets 150 PF 

I recently switched to the JP short stroke and it’s been working very well. Ended up with 3 tungsten and 2 steel. Ammo is 124gr RMR round nose loaded to 138pf. I Use the CMC 9mm trigger and have had zero issues so far. The rifle shot very soft before but with the short stroke it has less dot movement and the split times seem to be quicker. Highly recommend it

On 2/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, mveto said:

I recently switched to the JP short stroke and it’s been working very well. Ended up with 3 tungsten and 2 steel. Ammo is 124gr RMR round nose loaded to 138pf. I Use the CMC 9mm trigger and have had zero issues so far. The rifle shot very soft before but with the short stroke it has less dot movement and the split times seem to be quicker. Highly recommend it

I agree. I recently upgraded from the gen 2,, to the SS SCS. I'm also running 3 tungsten and 2 stainless. I'm anxious to try 4 tungsten. I know people that are running all tungsten with factory ammo. I've seen where they will possibly get  one bullet that loaded lighter than the factory normal and their gun not cycle. The 3x2 seems to be perfect for 130ish PF. I also bought an all stainless for steel challenge light loads under 100pf the tungsten weights are 40 bucks a piece! Looking back wish I would have bought the SS/tung version for 20 more bucks over the all stainless. The stainless is pretty rough with 134 PF, and it's in a liTE weight PCC VS my GMR13. A lot of people complain about the GMR being heavy but I think that's part of why they shoot so soft. I think the lighter you go the more detrimental it's to the recoil impulse. 

On 11/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

Same with the Taccom3 system. It's not required, but I tried it both ways and it's much better with the weight out of the bolt.

What buffer spring and bolt are you using? Thanks in advance, I'm trying to tune my system to the Taccom buffer.

2 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I'm using the Taccom3 buffer and spring, and I took the bolt weight out, it was better. Then I bought the short stroke kit from Taccom and it went from very good to bad ass awsome!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the QC10 bolt with the weight out and with the Taccom buffer short stroked I still am getting a bit too much muzzle rise and dot movement than I would like using factory ammo. Experimenting with different buffer springs and ammo, I'll see if I can get the whole system to shoot flatter..

8 hours ago, CaliPCC said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the QC10 bolt with the weight out and with the Taccom buffer short stroked I still am getting a bit too much muzzle rise and dot movement than I would like using factory ammo. Experimenting with different buffer springs and ammo, I'll see if I can get the whole system to shoot flatter..

what is your load (grain)?

are you using the taccom spring?

Tim