Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GM/M

Blurryvisions

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn’t anyone answer? I’m M class never taken a class and don’t buy multiple classifiers at matches... woundering if taking classes pays off or if just shooting with faster more skilled shooters is the way to go... I have learned everything I know about shooting from others around me at matches... 

I haven't taken any classes. But, I still think taking a class would pay off, and plan to do one in the future.

I imagine it's one of those, you don't know how much you don't know things. I'm sure it can all be done with out classes, but taking a class from the right person will probably speed things up. Even top guys talk about training with other top guys. It may not be a class really, but i'm sure it has the same effect. In many cases it's easier for someone else to spot your problems than it is to self diagnosis and be honest with yourself.

Why wouldn’t anyone answer? I’m M class never taken a class and don’t buy multiple classifiers at matches... woundering if taking classes pays off or if just shooting with faster more skilled shooters is the way to go... I have learned everything I know about shooting from others around me at matches... 
C'mon, everyone knows you can't make M class without more than 22 posts on Enos.

1 hour ago, Blurryvisions said:

So by "never taken a class" what do you mean? Like I took hunters safety once, and NRA basic Pistol.

Have you never had any formal training at all, just figured it all out on your own? Read any of the books on USPSA shooting?

Never taken a class. Never read any of the books. Dont listen to any podcasts. Never reshot a classifier because its lame to do so. ?

Made GM 3 years after starting in USPSA. Lots of dry fire and burning buckets of ammo at the range.

Making GM isnt hard. Winning majors is.

Edited by Maximis228

9 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Never taken a class. Never read any of the books. Dont listen to any podcasts. Never reshot a classifier because its lame to do so. ?

Made GM 3 years after starting in USPSA. Lots of dry fire and burning buckets of ammo at the range.

Nice. That’s a good way to look at it. Thanks for the post. 

32 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

So by "never taken a class" what do you mean? Like I took hunters safety once, and NRA basic Pistol.

Have you never had any formal training at all, just figured it all out on your own? Read any of the books on USPSA shooting?

I assumed... sorry. Never taken any formal uspsa or ipsc class.Sure I have has some formal training I’m in the military and most of the training was lame because like Todd Jarrett said in one of his videos. Law enforcement and military are about 20 years behind on the times when it comes to training... with the acception of the elite military groups I believe that’s an accurate statement 

2 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Lots of people have the talent or natural ability to make GM. The benefit of taking a class is akin to learning how to learn or where to get the most benefit from your ammo and practice sessions. I burned buckets of ammo in my first year as well and I would of been better off taking a class first with the amount of money I spent on ammo, I could of taken a few classes. 

4 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

I assumed... sorry. Never taken any formal uspsa or ipsc class.Sure I have has some formal training I’m in the military and most of the training was lame because like Todd Jarrett said in one of his videos. Law enforcement and military are about 20 years behind on the times when it comes to training... with the acception of the elite military groups I believe that’s an accurate statement 

Its sort of accurate, but also sort of dated, as is the video in which Todd Jarrett made that statement.(The video itself is about 20 years old) I certainly cannot speak for everyone everywhere, but I do know here in the Pacific Northwest there are a number of departments who’s firearm training programs benefit from their instructors participating in USPSA matches, and little by little that knowledge and experience is trickling out to other departments in the region. I do wish it was more widespread, and occurring at a more rapid pace, but I can say the gap is being bridged and isn’t as wide as it was when Todd said that. 

On the topic of classes, I’ve taken many over the last 20 years, and each has been valuable to my development as a shooter, both in sport and professionally. On the sporting front, it has made the biggest difference in overall match performance. There are tricks of the trade you can pick up from the top guys in their classes that you may figure out on your own over time, but why wait? If you’ve made M by only training on your own and shooting matches, then that’s awesome. I’d be curious to see how your performance in matches might improve with some training to help you apply your already solid fundamentals more efficiently to the different challenges we see in USPSA stages/matches.

9 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

Who has made it to GM/M without going to any classes and or buying multiple classifiers at a match to make rank also known as grandbagging?

I think a good response to this is:  how good are the folks you shoot with, how willing are they to help you when it comes to sharing advice, and how willing are you to (discerningly) accept their criticisms?  If you’re regularly associating with high end M and GM shooters, as I’ve fortunately been able to do through the years, then that may be better than taking classes because the advice will be more individualized than you taking a class from a stranger with a dozen other guys.  Of course, if you don’t have these resources available to you, then traveling out of area to a class may be a wise choice. 

IMHO Balls to the Wall until I lucked into it, it happened to M when I least expected it.

Made M just before the split to Open/Limited, then again in Revolver, with a 6 shot M29. Talk of different skill sets!

The harder I tried it seemed the worse I did.

Never took a class, did read some books and have several videos.

Only time I did more than 1 run on a classifier, was when I totally tanked one, and even then it didn't help any.

A GM once told me to approach a classifier as if it's just another COF, and that did seem to help.

34 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

I would say Taran Butler.  I don't want to start an Urban Legend but I think he made in one year--with a Glock?

I believe this is true... and I believe he was teamed up with some exceptional shooters on the Smokin’ Aces (or Smokin’ Holes?) team at that time, which was probably the first real shooting team.  I’m Just not sure if he teamed up before or after making GM, but I think it may go back to my point of keeping good company to train alongside.  

Edited by jkrispies

I’m an old guy, 60s, and know with enough practice and determination one can achieve just about anything. But, in the science of excellence there is a idea known as “deliberate” practice, which shortens the learning process.

Great book on subject. 

Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise”

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

I’m an old guy, 60s, and know with enough practice and determination one can achieve just about anything. But, in the science of excellence there is a idea known as “deliberate” practice, which shortens the learning process.

Great book on subject. 

Thanks for the title— I’ll check it out!

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I think a good response to this is:  how good are the folks you shoot with, how willing are they to help you when it comes to sharing advice, and how willing are you to (discerningly) accept their criticisms?  If you’re regularly associating with high end M and GM shooters, as I’ve fortunately been able to do through the years, then that may be better than taking classes because the advice will be more individualized than you taking a class from a stranger with a dozen other guys.  Of course, if you don’t have these resources available to you, then traveling out of area to a class may be a wise choice. 

Great Advice!  I've only taken one class, but I learned more for the M/GM shooters that I talk/shoot with.  I can pick their brain.

Edited by stick

12 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Great book on subject. 

Wow, loving this book so far.  Thanks again for mentioning it!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, Blurryvisions said:

Who has made it to GM/M without going to any classes and or buying multiple classifiers at a match to make rank also known as grandbagging?

I have done all of those things, peaking at almost 94% in Limited back about 10 or 12 years ago. But once I moved past A, I was never competitive as an M, and If I had laid down one more smokin' stand and shoot classifier, would have sucked balls as a GM at actual matches.

In hindsight I wish I has not tried so hard to "grandbag"- high B, or A would have done me just fine back then, and now I bet I would have a hard time being a decent to good B at majors. Getting old an blind (and fat) sucks. :) 

On 7/13/2018 at 6:45 PM, HesedTech said:

Great book on subject. 

The book "The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. " expands on the original research.

https://www.amazon.com/Talent-Code-Greatness-Born-Grown-ebook/dp/B0026OR1UK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532464411&sr=8-1&keywords=talent+code