Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a backpack for IPSC/USPSA competitions

Kasjok

Hello,

I have been running my good old camping backpack for years now, but more and more I am facing with situation that I can`t fit everything necessary in it. There for I am now trying to decide between CED/DAA Rangepack PRO baackpack and Guga Ribas FDS backpack.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/ced-double-alpha-academy-daa-rangepack-pro-backpack/

http://benstoegerproshop.com/guga-ribas-range-backpack/

The CED seems to have more accesories with it, but GR looks like a very well built piece also. . .

Opinions of those who have had a chance to test and/or see both of them are most welcome, thank you!

52 minutes ago, xdr said:

Not sure about the packs you mentioned, but i would encourage you to look at Kifaru. In particular, the Xray, Antero or 14er. Made in the USA.

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/packs-c15.aspx

z

That’s just a backpack no? The DAA Rangepack Pro is compartmentalized for shooting. I use the Pro and it will indeed hold everything you could possibly need at a match. BUT, do yourself a favor and buy the cart while you’re buying the bag. I cut the straps off mine and just use it as a dedicated cart bag. There are even inserts made for the top compartment to hold mags, etc

I have the AA Range pack medium size and it is worth every dime! Got a few clear tackle box type deals from Home Depot for the two side compartments and it is awesome. 

My range back bece a black hole. Now everything is organized and has a place.

That’s just a backpack no? The DAA Rangepack Pro is compartmentalized for shooting. I use the Pro and it will indeed hold everything you could possibly need at a match. BUT, do yourself a favor and buy the cart while you’re buying the bag. I cut the straps off mine and just use it as a dedicated cart bag. There are even inserts made for the top compartment to hold mags, etc
I agree [emoji817]% with Sarge. GET THE CART!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have the shooters connection backpack and a range cart from Zuca. The bag holds everything  I need the cart is awesome nice and rugged you can sit on it like a chair.

The only time I use any of the stuff in my bag Is on a practice day if the gun causes me issues.   Put all of your gear in a pile and don't get anything any bigger then you need on the range. Pack a second bag up with the just in case stuff and leave it in the car.

If you go DAA, and want to use it as a backpack without a cart, DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT get the large. It's a PITA to carry as a backpack, too tall & hits/rests on my mag pouches while carrying & can get loaded down/too heavy very quickly.

If I were to do it over again, I'd go DAA medium all day. Heck I might just sell the Pro and do that anyway.

Edited by SCTaylor

I tried back packs, and gun bags both are a pita.  Do yourself a favor and get one of those 4 wheel carts, and a bag.  Saves your back, and I don’t loose anything anymore.  Everything stays in the cart.  When your through it just folds up and your done.  Get a plastic bag for foul wheather.  Best thing I ever did.

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yes, just a backpack, an extremely well made pack. I dont think I have ever looked at a dedicated range backpack with compartments. I use a range bag or a BP.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, xdr said:

Not sure about the packs you mentioned, but i would encourage you to look at Kifaru. In particular, the Xray, Antero or 14er. Made in the USA.

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/packs-c15.aspx

z

Kifaru makes some great bags (I've humped them all over the world) I have an X-Ray also and it is very versatile. There may be some better purpose built bags for the sport though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the cart for my DAA medium.

Used to run a modified jogging stroller.

The cart and pack are the bomb! Even a place to hold your umbrella, water bottle, mag pockets up high, fold out shelf for a ammo box and a pocket for glasses and tools etc. All up high so you don't have to bend over.

Worth the money!

I’ve recently purchased the gps tactical backpack and wish I did earlier. It holds everything you’ll need and 3 guns. I only bring 2 and use the spare gun bag for all my mags. I’m not a small guy and it fits perfect on my back too. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the DAA medium range pack and couldn’t be happier.  I can carry my gun, belt, ammo, timer, mags, spare parts, PPE, cleaning kit, and tools with ease.  I still have room for a back up pistol, snacks, and water.

How much stuff do you need? I have a small 511 pack, holds what I need. For a big match I got an old jogging stroller from a thrift store so I can strap a small cooler to, even then I feel like I'm packing around to much crap! If you have to take a rolling tool chest to a local match, your shooting the wrong gun!

When i was looking i was torn between the 511, GPS and the DDA packs. I researched them all and even seen the 511 and GPS on the range. I ended up going the DDA route. Ill be honest it is one of my favorite purchases i made. I went with the medium because the large was just so big. I will say this, had i went with another one and then seen the DDA on the range i would have immediately sold whatever i had to buy the DDA. the quality of the stitching, material and the compartments are truly on a different level. 

On 7/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, Sarge said:

+1, but I kept the straps and use the various connectors to secure it to the cart.  Even broke down and got a Beach Umbrella that keeps me a bit cooler.

Edited by pskys2

As this topic started 6 weeks ago the OP has probably found his bag.

About 5 years ago I went minimal.  I use a 511 messenger bag and only carry what I need around a match.

The Messenger Bag holds a few light tools, full medical kit, gun, 500 rounds, mag holders and mags. No problem. Plus two water bottles on the side. Lots of small pockets for pens, flashlights and lens cleaners etc. I like all the small pockets and after all these years know exactly where everything is.

All other parts stay in the Jeep. I've got a ton of parts that stay in the Jeep and if I really have to work on a 1911 or Glock  it's no problem walking back to the car.

I also keep a backup gun in the Jeep for matches.

The bag is great, not a backpack but carries comfortably on the shoulder or with the handle.  I never understood all the stuff shooters had to have with them for the entire match.