Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoes for competition

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, MikieM said:

In light of the school shooting in Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods has ceased selling firearms and, according to reports, the firearms they have in stock will be destroyed.

I can't speak for the rest of you guys, but as for me I no longer do business with Dick's.

second 

I have been using Salomon and needed to order a size and half larger because I have wide feet.  Even ordering the larger size my feet still hurt and the end of shooting a match.  A fellow shooter had a pair of shoes that were not Salomon and I asked what they were.  His shoes were Boombah's.  I ordered the Hellcat Trail Shoes which cost only $59.99.  They look great and fit my feet much better than the Salomon.  Like the Salomon they come in different colors and styles.  I shot a 12 stage match in them last weekend and my feet felt much better in the Boombah's.  So far so good.

I ran some Adidas last year on sale for $40 from Sportsmans Warehouse, and a backup pair of football cleats for $8 on a clearance sale that earned me 1st A at SW Michagan SSTK in a torrential downpour. This year I have some Columbia goretex trail shoes that are super-comfy, thick tread and bead up water.  I think a pair for waterproof cleats and a pair of goretex trail shoes is the way to go.has you covered for whatever happens at Level 2+. 

On 4/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, Timido said:

Brooks Cascadia.  Solomon was too narrow for me

Me also. I have pretty wide duck feet. I just buy any brand "light hikers" that have widths wide enough to feel comfortable. Whatever you decide on be sure and try them on. Also it helps to try them after you've been on your feet and walking around a bit as your feet do swell a bit when you are active.

I just bought a pair of the Solomon Speedcross 4 wides.

Damn are they comfortable. Lets see how they do on the range at the next out door match.

130 bucks but for the fit, it is worth it. BOUGHT THEM AT REI. Same price as online 130.00

Edited by mstamper

Any decent trail running shoe you like. I wear $40 football cleats from Nike for uspsa most the time. They are not all day comfy at all, but they do give me more purchase on the ground and for the price I can buy a new pair every 6 months.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Any decent trail running shoe you like. I wear $40 football cleats from Nike for uspsa most the time. They are not all day comfy at all, but they do give me more purchase on the ground and for the price I can buy a new pair every 6 months.

Except for us WIDE feet guys.... lol. 

I looked around and finding wide widths in any cleat was just about impossible. The Solomon Speedcross 4 WIDE actually fit and was very VERY comfortable. I can easily see me wearing them all day without issue.

I envy you D width guys. 

I rock climbed for years, so I'm just more inclined to be tolerant of shoes that hurt I guess. At this stage I'm still willing to trade performance for comfort in my match shoes. Or else I would just shoot in Vans all the time.

6 hours ago, mstamper said:

Except for us WIDE feet guys.... lol. 

I looked around and finding wide widths in any cleat was just about impossible. The Solomon Speedcross 4 WIDE actually fit and was very VERY comfortable. I can easily see me wearing them all day without issue.

I envy you D width guys. 

Mstamper, ya gotta find the Football cleats.. Seems most stores only stock soccer and baseball which seem liek they are made for people with three toes.
Look at those big old Offensive linemen,, 
I found Hi top Addidas foot ball cleats, that are made for bigger wider feet.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:09 PM, S&W686 said:

I have been using Salomon and needed to order a size and half larger because I have wide feet.  Even ordering the larger size my feet still hurt and the end of shooting a match.  A fellow shooter had a pair of shoes that were not Salomon and I asked what they were.  His shoes were Boombah's.  I ordered the Hellcat Trail Shoes which cost only $59.99.  They look great and fit my feet much better than the Salomon.  Like the Salomon they come in different colors and styles.  I shot a 12 stage match in them last weekend and my feet felt much better in the Boombah's.  So far so good.

I just ordered a pair of the Boombah Hellcats too.  I've been hearing good things about them, so hopefully they work well for me too.