Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock STI.

Crazy Scientist

I have been off and on about jumping into a widebody 2011 (And though I have toyed with Armscorp, the same problems arise, and my cheapskate bone going 'but para/remington' and then my QC bone going 'BUT PARA/REMINGTON').  My problem is I read a TON and half the people swear their out of box STIs run like a champ, and half say FARK IT get a custom gun as STIs always needs work out of the box.  This would be for USPSA limited.

I don't have a ton of preferences.  I like a good trigger, and I love my 1911s (which I've always had good luck with despite everyone crapping on 1911s, I don't have grip safety issues although I did have hammerbite before the beavertail on my main gun), so it sounded to me like starting off with an Edge is the right choice--my only 'upgrade' may be the SVI interchangable trigger.

The problem is the half of the group that says you need to load long, get custom work done.  What the heck REALLY needs to be done to these things to make them run.

My very first 2011 was an STI Edge that I got at an incredible price point.  I had the top of the slide flat topped and serrations added, changed the grip to a stippled grip that I was more comfortable with and finally added the SV trigger.  Don't totally remember cost but based on my custom gun experiences since then was under the cost of a custom gun.  With that being said, if you feel that you are into shooting Limited long term then a custom gun may better suit you, sooner or later you are going to do it :) .  I kept this gun as a backup gun for a long time after having my GAN's gun built.  Cost and time until delivery have certainly gone up on custom guns.  If you do go the Edge route I encourage you to consider a Dawson CPR Edge.  They put the basic parts that you would end up buying on the Edge to start with.  Best of luck and start stashing your coins in a cookie jar.

I have to second what is stated above. A Dawson CRP Edge or a Brazos Edge will both be a great starting point. They both get a realiability tune and some upgraded parts. The Brazos have a trigger job that's supposed to be pretty good. The best part is since a lot of folks get these for their first good competition gun they can be found in the classifieds section for a little less than new and often you can find packages with magazines. 

I'd say start there and then when you're ready to get a custom gun sell the tuned Edge for probably fairly close to what you bought it for. 

The only time a custom gun would really be beneficial (especially for a first time buyer) is if A. You had a set of requirements in your mind that a stock or semi custom would not have. (For instance, I knew I wanted a long slide from the jump so I ended up getting a custom from the classifieds.) 

B. You find a deal that is just too hard to say no to. 

At any given time there are a handful of really drool inducing custom 2011s floating around in the classifieds at really fair prices. If you see a deal like that that checks off the boxes you're looking for then it probably is worth it to go for it. 

If you don't have a pre set list of unusual features "you need" then Brazos Edge or Dawson CRP Edge are the perfect place to start.

I bought a stock STI used that I knew had problems. Dropped an Aftec in and reworked the mags. 15k later it hasn't given me a problem yet. If you are ok with tuning mag lips and working with the extractor tension, I think you'll be fine. If either of those two things make you nervous, then I'd say pony up for a Dawson or Brazos tuned gun at a minimum.

Also, with these pure steel guns built like brick shithouses, a used gun is better than a new gun in my mind. 2500 rounds is barely broken in. If you can find a used gun that some other guy already went through the hassle of debugging (or can vouch for the out-of-box reliability), then you have it made.

I own two edges (.40 & 9mm) and they are great pistols. I agree with those who have already responded. Ordered a custom cause I wanted to go 5.4 and sight tracker but will keep my current pistol as a backup. Had a few little bugs to work out in my minor gun but shooting the crap out of it seemed to fix them. If you do go this route ditch the recoil master day one and go Dawson tool-less. 

At my local club there’s a number of people shoot stock STIs.  Seems hit and miss, some have not had to do anything with their guns (other than springs and figure out their reloads), others have had to do some fine tuning to the gun, mags, trigger to make it comp-ready.  I bought a used 2011 to get started.  Shot that gun for over a year while formulating what I wanted in a custom 2011, and ultimately went that route.  But my gunbuilder is local and shoots at the same matches which has been very helpful and convenient over the years.    

I have found that picking up a used 2011 from Enos has been a pretty good way to go. Yes, you do take the chance of getting someone’s lemon, but the people here are pretty darn honest. If you decide you want to stay in limited, upgrading to a custom can be the next step.

I did limited for about a year and decided to go back to SS. I know I could sell either of my limited guns for about what I paid.

My first all steel open gun was an STI match master.  Had to buy an Aftec, have my gunsmith install a slide racker and work the ejector, after that it ran smoothly

I don't know what rates your local gunsmith charges or if you have one by you.  For the cost i bought my STI match master new i could have had my local gun smith build me a gun.  I currently have 3 builds from him now working on a 4th.

A Dawson crp edge is just an edge with some of his bolt on parts.  An HP Edge from Brazos is actually a stock edge that Bob goes over and "makes right" in a simple way of saying it.  IMO the HP Edge is the way to go if you were looking for that piece of mind of a stock STI that will run out of the box and you are not a tinkerer.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

Nothing needs to be done to an STI I run factory 180 Freendom Munitions thru my DVC Limited 40 and over 5k rounds no issues the issues seem to happen when people mess with them too much 

i run factory mags just change base pads to TTI base pads for the extra round 

Edited by DVC502

I now have over 20 STI's. The only thing any have needed to run out of the box is extractor tuning. It has only been on 3 guns and STI's amazing warranty department handled that. They have a lifetime warranty wether you're the 1st or 10th owner and they pay shipping both ways. 

38 minutes ago, DVC502 said:

Nothing needs to be done to an STI I run factory 180 Freendom Munitions thru my DVC Limited 40 and over 5k rounds no issues the issues seem to happen when people mess with them too much 

i run factory mags just change base pads to TTI base pads for the extra round 

What's the oal on freedoms .40 ammo?  

12 hours ago, Glk21C said:

A Dawson crp edge is just an edge with some of his bolt on parts.  An HP Edge from Brazos is actually a stock edge that Bob goes over and "makes right" in a simple way of saying it.  IMO the HP Edge is the way to go if you were looking for that piece of mind of a stock STI that will run out of the box and you are not a tinkerer.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

This is EXACTLY what has always bothered me.  Everyone says STI needs some work, get a CRP.....which from what I see is exactly how you describe.  Since Brazos is local, it sounds like that may be more my speed.  Being my OCD self, buying over the internet is not my thing, and TBH local pickings, even in Dallas are slim.

I bought an Edge from someone (in CA can't buy factory) while waiting for my Infinity. Now, I never shot it in factory configuration as I sent it to my gunsmith to have a trigger job done plus SVI trigger, grip safety pinned and the grip changed to an SVI signature grip. Didn't have any issues and it is now my backup gun. 

bought 2 edges last year. first one needed a $25 trigger job. second one needed nothing. All i did was install a standard guide rod and a button on the mag release, and some grip-tape on the grip. I prefer the stock magwell over Ice or anything else, but your mileage may vary. If you think you need to do a million things to a new gun, i'd probably go custom. I don't need much tho, and prefer close to stock configuration.

In 2015 my stock edge had 10 or so FTF at a 250 round Mach using factory length commercial reloads. I did some research, then polished the feed ramp, tweaked the mag lips for a slight bullet pointing up attitude and loaded my own ammo long. 1.18 with jacketed 180s either TC or RN. Probably shot 5000 rounds to the next failure. If I had used loctight on the grip screws the streak might still be going.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

I will also add that my one experience with STI’s warranty department was pleasant and knowing they will stand behind their product is comforting. I also belong to a local gun forum and saw where they replaced another member’s pistol when it cracked at the ejector pin hole in the frame. No questions asked and I happen to know he likes hot handloads well above major pf. 

1 - DVC Limited .40 that took a trip to Atlas gun works to get right 

1 - Used Edge that had work done to it, I'm not sure what bet it did not have the stock hammer. Has run flawlessly and is crazy accurate.

1 - Used Marauder completely stock. Runs perfectly and very accurate. 

If I was going to buy a new Edge today it would be a Brazos HP, they do everything that needs to be done to an Edge. Except a tool-less guide rod, which think is a must .

Oh..... and I would get it Blued to save something like $300

great option as noted above is brazos hp edge, which is what i did.  I also got a dawson supertuned eagle (different than CRP, and not offered any more afaik).  great guns, you get a trigger job and a pro smith that looks over the gun and makes sure it works before you get it.  i also haven't hesitated to buy a handful of box-stock sti's with zero regrets. all i've done to those is drop in the brazos' trigger kits, everything else box-stock.

I bought a Brazos tuned Eagle years ago from them and it has run flawlessly.  I dont reload, so its been fed a healthy diet of whatever 9mm is on sale time to time, PMC, Blazer, American Eagle,  WWB, whatever, and its eaten them all no issues.  It was worth every extra penny to get it from Brazos and know it was going to work out of the box and not have any issues knowing how some 2011s can be tempermental.

I have also have a Brazos Custom HP Edge in .40. Not only does it run like a scalded dog but Bobs trigger work is amazing, the definition of a glad rod breaking.  There are other options out there close to his price point but going with Brazos is a no brainer.