Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin.......?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My broken FP was way more random. Went on for 3 matches. I would get this random FTE, look in the ejection port and the the brass case would be stuck on the end of the bolt. Have to flick it off with my finger. Happened so seldom never thought about broken FP. Finally after about 4 or 5 times it happened it just quit. That is when I found it. Thought no problem I have a spare complete BCG in my range bag. Replacing a Taccom bolt/FP with my spare Spinta BCG will not work with a CMC trigger. Tim did not have any replacment FP's in stock so he recommended a Wilson Combat. He did send a new redesigned FP in about a week at no charge.

I guess make sure your spare parts are compatible.

gerritm

Dryfire was not a factor with my failure, I dont drop the hammer during practice.  Also, because of the design on these pins/bolts, they are not like a 1911 system where the firing pin is stopped by the primer.  My PCC firing pins only protrude from the bolt a very small amount before they bottom out, and I would guess that their travel is always stopped by impacting the bolt, not by impact with the primer.  In that way, you are basically doing the same "damage" as dryfiring every time you pull the trigger. 

Hello: Firing pins seem to be the weak link on the PCC's even the Sig MPX. Some seem to last a very long time and others not so much. You could use your broken one for dry fire and then instal the good one for the match. Carry a spare or 3 and you should be fine. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Firing pins seem to be the weak link on the PCC's even the Sig MPX. Some seem to last a very long time and others not so much. You could use your broken one for dry fire and then instal the good one for the match. Carry a spare or 3 and you should be fine. Thanks, Eric

I agree.  I had two new springs and 2 new firing pins.  Since I just replaced a broken spring, it left me with one.  so naturally, I ordered two more.  I'm still thinking i'll change the pin and spring for matches and back to the one now for dryfire.  I have a few thousand rounds on it and the spring is new, so it's only a matter of time before this pin breaks.  I'm not being negative,  it's reality

1 minute ago, balmo said:

I have a whole spare bolt all together just in case. To my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) any ar15 firing pin and retaining pin should work with any ar9 bolt minus JP's bolt? 

I'm not sure about that.  I have a New Frontier Modular BCG.  They don't list an extractor on their website for that one because they told me it was the same as a standard M16 extractor.  However, they DO list a replacement firing pin that is described as fitting both their standard AR-9 bolt and the Modular bolt, and the rear of it looks different from a standard AR15 pin.

DPMS AR-15 firing pin.jpg

NFA AR9 firing pin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of firing pins, I have had good luck so far with the CMMG stainless. Still, FPs are expendable in this firearm and I always keep a couple extra springs and firing pins. I had good luck with a broken FP continuing to function when it broke in the middle. I've seen the pins break in the middle and at the back. When they break at the back it's a catastrophic failure immediately. 

I'd like to pick up a QC10 bolt and firing pin as the reports of longevity are very good for the FPs.

Just a random thought here, and I am sure there are a multitude of causes, but those of us with Hiperfires set at the lightest trigger weights are not doing our FPs any favors.  The hammer fall energy with that combination is around 20% heavier than a stock AR trigger.  Just sayin'.....      image.png.9c10ce3bb4a4b97ab1b40cb19877b1fc.png

15 minutes ago, Neomet said:

Just a random thought here, and I am sure there are a multitude of causes, but those of us with Hiperfires set at the lightest trigger weights are not doing our FPs any favors.  The hammer fall energy with that combination is around 20% heavier than a stock AR trigger.  Just sayin'.....      image.png.9c10ce3bb4a4b97ab1b40cb19877b1fc.png

I was 100% is agreement with the above, then I had a failure at less than 2,000 rounds with my JP trigger and reduced power hammer spring.  It hits like a wet noodle and I did not dryfire it. 

With my next trip to the range I will have over 10K rounds through my original AR-9.  From birth it has had a Hiperfire 24C with heavy springs (light trigger pull) and I'm still on the original firing pin and spring.  I know I should change them out but what the heck.  Wait until it fails.

I have additional AR-9's all with Hiperfire triggers with not so many rounds through them but so far no broken firing pins or springs.

I always carry a spare complete bolt in my range bag that has been tested to assure it will function properly.  I also have a bolt at the house that is designated for "dry fire only".  I'm sure if I took it to the range it would fire just fine but that's not its job.

Maybe just luck but I satisfied.

For those of us that have the PSA 'hybrid' 9mm bolt, where can extra firing pins and springs be purchased? 

Also, not sure how many different manufacturers PSA sources their bolts from, so perhaps the hybrid 9mm may come from multiple manufacturers, each having unique components....

On 2/10/2018 at 1:23 PM, BartCarter said:

CMMG Mk9 firing pin:

CMMG 15.99

Optics Planet 17.99

Primary Arms 11.99

On 2/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, stick said:

This!!!  and Optics planet has them cheaper than CMMG.  I carry 2 pins and three springs.

My CMMG firing pin has yet to break after 2 yrs of practice and competition, but I did change out proactively this year. I’m also keeping a couple of spares w/springs now that I’m traveling farther for matches.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:33 AM, Flatland Shooter said:

With my next trip to the range I will have over 10K rounds through my original AR-9.  From birth it has had a Hiperfire 24C with heavy springs (light trigger pull) and I'm still on the original firing pin and spring.  I know I should change them out but what the heck.  Wait until it fails.

I have additional AR-9's all with Hiperfire triggers with not so many rounds through them but so far no broken firing pins or springs.

I always carry a spare complete bolt in my range bag that has been tested to assure it will function properly.  I also have a bolt at the house that is designated for "dry fire only".  I'm sure if I took it to the range it would fire just fine but that's not its job.

Maybe just luck but I satisfied.

What FP are you using?