Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin.......?

Went to the range and went through maybe 150 rounds of ammo when all of a sudden it quit firing. I would eject a loaded round and click. No bang.

After several attempts to load and fire I put the gun in the bag and went home. I did, however, pick a few of the un-fired rounds from off the ground and took them with me.

At home I took a look at the rounds that didn't fire and each one has a very faint mark where the firing pin nicked it. Very faint.

I haven't taken the bolt out of the gun, yet, but is this an indication of a broken firing pin? If so, what is the best available pin and spring on the market for the AR9? It's a Taccom bolt, by-the-way.

Thanks, Mike.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspect the tip of the pin to see if it's damaged.  If not, check to make sure there's nothing in the FP channel to impede the forward movement.  I've seen failures to fire in pistols that had oil in the channel, for example.  You could push the pin out to its full extension by hand, but backpressure from trying to compress the oil would keep it from hitting hard enough to ignite a primer.

JAFO's got the best solution. Check the firing pin, then if it's not broken, check your firing pin channel. The 9mm firing pins don't hold up well, especially if you do any amount of dryfire that actually involves dropping the hammer. I've broken two firing pins and sheared a retaining pin from dryfire. 

I'm using CMMG firing pins, and I keep a couple extras in my bag at all times. 

Had the same problem after maybe 500 rounds and saw same issues with the faint primer marks... took the bolt apart and saw firing pin broke!  Tried other firing pins but the only thing that fits/works was the original spinta FP.  So called them and they replaced it for free.   6k later and still working.

I've posted this before, but after an initial 400 round break with an OEM pin, replacing it with a real Colt, and rounding the strike surface has produced a trouble free 2500 or more string, including changing bolts... my perception is that rounding allows the hammer to strike the pin closer to the center line of pin travel

I've had more than one break on me.  Pretty much realized it's a part you need to carry.  Also have had the springs break so I carry those as well.  Why they break?  I gave up trying to figure it out.  This goes for the pistol type extractors too.  Get an extra and fit it so you can swap it out when it breaks on the range.

Same bolt, same trigger, same broken firing pins. Skip the Wilson, I tried one and it broke after a few hundred rounds. I think the tool steel they use is just too brittle. I'm currently trying the pin from AR15xtreme, and so far I think it's the best made of the bunch. The step in the middle where they commonly break is more tapered, and I think the 17-4 stainless will hold up a little better. I still have two spares in my range bag though. Tim is currently working on making a new firing pin for those of us who keep breaking them, so looking forward to that.

11 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

I'm currently trying the pin from AR15xtreme, and so far I think it's the best made of the bunch. The step in the middle where they commonly break is more tapered, and I think the 17-4 stainless will hold up a little better.

Does the extreme come with a spring?

Are the firing pins a standard configuration like .556 ARs?I built my AR 9 using a PSA complete upper and have about 500-600 rounds down range.I would like to pick up whatever spares that are needed in advance.I haven't been able to shoot since I first got the gun sorted out (leg brace) from surgery. 

1 hour ago, DFABOVE said:

Are the firing pins a standard configuration like .556 ARs?I built my AR 9 using a PSA complete upper and have about 500-600 rounds down range.I would like to pick up whatever spares that are needed in advance.I haven't been able to shoot since I first got the gun sorted out (leg brace) from surgery. 

For the most part, with a few exceptions like the JP.

• 1 month later...

Shot a six stage match today and had a failure to fire on the 3rd stage, my first malfunction ever with this carbine.  Racked it out so quickly that I could not find it, assumed it was just a high primer.  Next stage it randomly happened again.  Took it to the safe area and the pin was snapped in half.  I cleaned everything and dropped the pieces back into the bolt.  Was able to continue with only one more FTFire, but it was on my mind the whole time.   

Just a bit of trivia, JP firing pins will not work with many other bolts.

Also, this is with a JP trigger with the yellow (light) hammer spring.  

PUT A SPARE FIRING PIN IN YOUR SHOOTING BAG.

Well it finally happened.  Went to the range to practice....5 rounds in click not bang.  I assumed it was the firing pin, so i pulled it out and checked it.  The firing pin was fine.  I thought it was stepped brass.  Nope!  Frustrated I went home.  The next day, I decided to clean the gun.  When I took out the firing pin and removed the spring.  I found the problem.  a broken firing pin spring.  The moral of the story when checking the firing pin, remove the spring from the firing pin and check it too.  I had two extra firing pins and two extra springs in my bag.  I dry fire the gun 5-6 days a week with my Hiperfire 24C installed.  I'm thinking I'm going use a dedicated firing pin/spring for matches and one for dry fire/practice.

9mm firing pin spring.jpg