Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holusun users question

I'm building a pcc and looking for an affordable optic. My experience in red dot is only C-more slide ride 6moa and Leopold dpp 7.5moa on my pistols.

Holosun users, is 2moa form their micro red dot bright enough to see even in bright daylight?

There are a couple of gents here at our local club that run the Halosun sights. I have looked through them and the dot is plenty bright.

I run two MRO sights on a couple of my PCC rigs and they have 2 MOA dots and I like them a bunch. No problem with picking up the dot.

I tested the Holosun and found it very bright and well made.  I also think 2 MOA is far too small for a PCC.  If you're happy with your current 6 & 7.5 MOA dots, you may not be happy with a small 2 MOA dot.  It would be great for accuracy, but not good for the speed of PCC target acquisitions.  Just my two cents.

Hello: I am going to be trying a Holosun 510C out tomorrow. I think the circle dot will be a nice thing to have. I did not like the Trijicon MRO I tried because of the bulky housing/mount and blue/green tint with slight magnification. With a different mount like the LaRue it maybe better for me. I am using a C-More railway right now with either a 4MOA dot or a 6 MOA dot depending on the day and type of match it is. Thanks, Eric

I tried mine for the first time, last Sunday, and in the bright sunlight the 2 moa dot was barely visible.

Bear in mine that my eyes are nigh on to 71 years old so that may have something to do with it. I'll be using the dot, the circle, a dog, and a cane, when shooting.

Actually the jury is still out on this Holosun of mine. I find the little bars on the top, bottom, and side, a bit distracting, but simply getting used to it may be the key.

I will say that at 15 yards, or so, it brackets a plate very nicely.

Edited by MikieM

I tried a Holosight (not Holosun) and found the 1 minute dot with 60 minute circle really busy for the hoser stages that we usually shoot.

Went back to a metal C-more Railway with 6 minute dot and am much happier.  If I were using the PCC as a rifle, the Holosight would be

great, but as a pistol, a pistol sight is better.  

I have used them all, Holosun, Primary Arms, and Sig Romeo 5.  I think for the money, they can not be beat.  The brightness will work in the brightest sun with out a problem. I really like the 2 min. dot myself.  Upper A-zone shots are no problem even at distance. I have been pleased enough that I have moved all of my E O Tech's for the 2 min dots. Very reliable.

I have the HS503GU. It has circle dot with a 2moa dot and 65moa circle or can be switched from circle dot to just a plain 2moa dot in seconds. Some of my friends prefer the 6 or 8moa dots on some of the other sights for faster target acquisition but, I prefer the circle dot of the Holosun for fast target acquisition and a third of the weight of an Eotech! I have also never had an issue with the dot not being bright enough. To each his own but, for the money the Holosun circle dot is a great sight!

18 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am going to be trying a Holosun 510C out tomorrow. I think the circle dot will be a nice thing to have. I did not like the Trijicon MRO I tried because of the bulky housing/mount and blue/green tint with slight magnification. With a different mount like the LaRue it maybe better for me. I am using a C-More railway right now with either a 4MOA dot or a 6 MOA dot depending on the day and type of match it is. Thanks, Eric

Let us know what you think of it.  I loved the Holosun but found the 65 circle way too big.  When shooting poppers or steel, the circle is larger than the target so you end up just using the center dot.

Gabe, do you find there is a sweet spot on the top rail where the 510C is mounted that allows for the best view of target and dot? I have mine mounted just over the ejection port.

Edited by MikieM

I've been using a 510C for about four months now. I really like the circle-dot reticle.  I find it very fast and easy to center a popper or plate within the circle.   The dot makes it even easier.  Bot the circle and the dot are crisper than on my EoTech.

The other features that I really like are that it is solar powered with a cheap wafer battery backup, the fact that it is instant on when it is moved and the comparatively low cost.

I've used their Micro for a while on my 10/22 (recently migrated it to a sidefolding charger pistol and I'm loving it even more!) and recently bought their latest 30mm with integrated QD mount and solar functionality.

This one I kind of have mixed feelings about. It appears to be of quality construction, daylight bright, and I like that the objective is threaded to accept the same Tenebraex Killflash as an M68 (mine has one on right now).

What I don't like is that the optic is quite a bit longer than an M68- no chance of getting a 3x mag behind it unless you walk it way up. That, and it's somewhat heavy- but I'm sure that lends itself to toughness and probably contributes to my perception of it's quality.

I am in optics testing mode with my MPX PCC. I have tried the Delta Point Pro, MRO and the Holosun 510c. The DPP is nice with very little obstruction around the glass and a clear lense. The MRO is too bulky around the glass for my liking and it has a slight green tint.

The only complaint I have with the DPP is that with its single dot you need to do vertical offset holdovers when shooting from close to far. The point of impact veritcal shift from 5 yards to 25 yards is about 8 inches. 

The HS 510c effectively cuts that vertical offset in half by leveraging the center dot for anything 10 yards and out. Then use the 6 o’clock hash mark in the circle for anything within 10 yards. Doing this effectively cuts the vertical POI offset from close to far in half. 

The othet interesting thing with the HS 510c is that you can turn off the center dot and only use the circle. Using only the circle is a lot faster for me and the accuracy doesn’t seem to degrade. I simply put the target in the center of the circle at distance and the hits are good. This less “busy” retical is a lot less distracting and allows me to shoot faster because I am not trying to put a 2moa dot exactly where I want it on target. 

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I am in optics testing mode with my MPX PCC. I have tried the Delta Point Pro, MRO and the Holosun 510c. The DPP is nice with very little obstruction around the glass and a clear lense. The MRO is too bulky around the glass for my liking and it has a slight green tint.

The only complaint I have with the DPP is that with its single dot you need to do vertical offset holdovers when shooting from close to far. The point of impact veritcal shift from 5 yards to 25 yards is about 8 inches. 

The HS 510c effectively cuts that vertical offset in half by leveraging the center dot for anything 10 yards and out. Then use the 6 o’clock hash mark in the circle for anything within 10 yards. Doing this effectively cuts the vertical POI offset from close to far in half. 

The othet interesting thing with the HS 510c is that you can turn off the center dot and only use the circle. Using only the circle is a lot faster for me and the accuracy doesn’t seem to degrade. I simply put the target in the center of the circle at distance and the hits are good. This less “busy” retical is a lot less distracting and allows me to shoot faster because I am not trying to put a 2moa dot exactly where I want it on target. 

Charlie: I will be trying just the circle at the next match to see how it will work for me. I agree with you on the 510C and the different options for dot setup. The MRO was one of my options but when I actually tried one I did not like it over the C-More's I use. DPP are more than I wanted to spend and did not think they are much better than a standard C-More railway. Has anyone heard if Holosun will be bringing out a new version of the 510? Thanks, Eric

• 4 months later...

Usually run C-Mores with a 8 dot....recently bought the Holosun 510C....really like it.  Shot several matches with it...decided to only use the dot and even though it's only a 2MOA dot to my old eyes it looks more like a 4MOA and that does work for me.  I love the solar power and the instant on.  I'm sold on this sight....large window...instant on...auto brightness/or manual

(I use the auto brightness) and no looking thru a tube.  I will be getting another one soon for another PCC.

10 hours ago, pbRex said:

Quick question, now that Holosun makes a green dot, which color would you go with?  

Hello: I have the red dot on mine but have looked through one with the green. I didn't like the green dot as much since it seems more noticeable than the red. I found it kinda distracting for me. Also I use a green fiber in my iron sighted pistols so I didn't want to confuse myself. Thanks, Eric

10 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have the red dot on mine but have looked through one with the green. I didn't like the green dot as much since it seems more noticeable than the red. I found it kinda distracting for me. Also I use a green fiber in my iron sighted pistols so I didn't want to confuse myself. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the feedback! 

I think I may go with red as I plan to try a laser (green) and think it may help to be able to differentiate the dots.  

I've been using a red dot (2 moa) with circle and really like it. Especially with a row of plates where I just bracket the plate within the circle and pull the trigger.

Going to try the green dot (2 moa) tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out.