Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

So I am using the Dawson .240 tall and .100 wide front sights on both guns and am very happy with them as a compromise between stock and .090 width.

I am undecided on the 10# recoil spring versus the 11 jsut yet.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MikieM said:

CGW recommended the 12 pound recoil spring and not the 11. Why is that?

I could be wrong since I'm going strictly off of memory, but I think they're one of the only retailers selling 12 LB springs. 

17 minutes ago, MikieM said:

CGW recommended the 12 pound recoil spring and not the 11. Why is that?

Same he told me, but with my ammo ejection looks good with 11

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So I am using the Dawson .240 tall and .100 wide front sights on both guns and am very happy with them as a compromise between stock and .090 width.

I am undecided on the 10# recoil spring versus the 11 jsut yet.

10lb for unloaded starts, FTW

What are people using for shaping parts, disconnectors, etc?

Fine files? Plain black oxide or like diamond grit or something? 

Or something different like stones (manual not dremel, i would assume, if we're talking .001"at a time) or paper?

I have a vast supply of tools, some little "key files" that are probably appropriate.  

I have a CGW kit on the way. No gun yet, waiting for one to pop up at a LGS. I prefer to buy local. 

Or something different like stones (manual not dremel, i would assume, if we're talking .001"at a time) or paper?
I have a vast supply of tools, some little "key files" that are probably appropriate.  
I have a CGW kit on the way. No gun yet, waiting for one to pop up at a LGS. I prefer to buy local. 
1000 grit sandpaper, circular files, and a Dremel for polishing

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, NHGunowner said:

I use ceramic stones for light metal removal.

12 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Ejection from my gun with the 10lbs spring is 5'.  Really like the feel.  Thanks for starting this thread Rowdy!!!

I’m also using a 10# RS on mine with my 124 Gr reloads and muzzle dip/ rise is at a minimum. 

Rowdy. Will my trigger pull lighten if I take out the disconnect? I ask because I'll be installing a straight aluminum trigger and will be shooting SA only in Limited/Minor.

Right now I seem to be stuck at 3 pounds 2 ounces with the 13 pound hammer spring.

My gun is a new Shadow 2, by-the-way.

Thanks, Mike

On 4/4/2018 at 10:19 PM, MikieM said:

Rowdy. Will my trigger pull lighten if I take out the disconnect? I ask because I'll be installing a straight aluminum trigger and will be shooting SA only in Limited/Minor.

Right now I seem to be stuck at 3 pounds 2 ounces with the 13 pound hammer spring.

My gun is a new Shadow 2, by-the-way.

Thanks, Mike

Nevermind. I installed a race hammer from CGW and that pretty much took care of everything.

I think I must have gotten one of the Shadow 2's with a good factory trigger.  I added a CGW 11.5# hammer spring and reduced power trigger spring.  I also added an 11# recoil spring and an extended firing pin, but they shouldn't affect the trigger pull.  I measured a 7lb 11oz double action and 2lb 7oz single action, both very smooth.  I had ordered the wrong trigger pin and had to wait to get a replacement - excellent service from CGW getting me a replacement, by the way.  I was surprised that, when I installed the trigger pin, the double action dropped to 7lb 5oz and the single action dropped to 2lb 3oz.

By the way, I believe a lot of the discrepancy in double action trigger pulls is how they are measured.  I hold the gun upright (perpendicular to the table) and pull straight back (parallel to the barrel axis).  I think this best replicates how the gun is actually fired.  I've noticed from watching videos of people measuring trigger pulls, most pull downward at about a slight angle and/or hold the gun canted 90 degrees (parallel to the table).  If I pull at a slight downward angle, I can measure a double action trigger pull of 6lb 1oz.  And if I hold the gun parallel to the table, I can reduce the pull another 2 oz.  That's a big discrepancy solely due to how the measurement is taken.  Anyone have any thoughts on setting a standard method for measuring trigger pull?

I have a Wheeler Engineering electronic pull gauge. All I do is try to simulate how my hand would pull the trigger. Seems to work.

The SA pull on my Shadow 2 is 2 pounds, 13 ounces. The gun has less than 100 rounds through it so I figure it will get a bit lighter as time goes on.

MikieM, I assume that means you pull straight back.  I have 5 DA/SA autos and 2 revolvers.  I experimented with all of them.  In every case, when I get a normal grip, my pull is straight back.  In no case do I pull at a downward angle.  Also, in 6 out of 7 cases, I can reduce the double action pull by 1.0-2.0 pounds by pulling at a downward angle.  Only my Tangfolio Stock 2 doesn't seem to change; that may be due to the curvature of the trigger.

3 hours ago, Almo said:

MikieM, I assume that means you pull straight back.  I have 5 DA/SA autos and 2 revolvers.  I experimented with all of them.  In every case, when I get a normal grip, my pull is straight back.  In no case do I pull at a downward angle.  Also, in 6 out of 7 cases, I can reduce the double action pull by 1.0-2.0 pounds by pulling at a downward angle.  Only my Tangfolio Stock 2 doesn't seem to change; that may be due to the curvature of the trigger.

Yes. I agree. Straight back with the hook in the middle of the trigger curve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 10:08 AM, MikieM said:

Nevermind. I installed a race hammer from CGW and that pretty much took care of everything.

pics please :)

Edited by kmanick

6 hours ago, Nayr said:

@rowdyb What are your thoughts on the stock recoil spring vs. the 11# when shooting primarily 115 grain factory ammo?

Never have shot 115 factory out of a cz let alone a shadow 2. I'd say try it, recoil springs are cheap

I am not a seasoned Shadow 2 owner so this is all new to me. I'm having fun, though.

This gun is set up for Limited (minor), and will only be used when the mood strikes. In real life I shoot PCC.

The parts list is pretty much like everyone else: CGW race hammer, 11.5 pound hammer spring, 10 pound recoil spring (with 147 flat points), extended firing pin with reduced power spring, 10X bushing, Dawson .100 x .215 front sight (green optic fiber), factory extended manual safety, LOK short palm swell grips, and a Shadow 2 magwell all the way from Czechoslovakia. 

Trigger pull (single action) is currently averaging 2 pounds, 12 ounces. 

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

Edited by MikieM