Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

I was able to do some recoil spring testing yesterday and prefer the 11lb.  What I didn't expect was how much less muzzle flip there was after removing the thick buffer.  Are the buffers preventing actual long term damage or just meant to soften recoil?

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, NWfront said:

I was able to do some recoil spring testing yesterday and prefer the 11lb.  What I didn't expect was how much less muzzle flip there was after removing the thick buffer.  Are the buffers preventing actual long term damage or just meant to soften recoil?

Also wondering about this.  As far as I know, the Shadow 2 was the first time CZ included the buffers with the gun.  I assumed they thought it was an issue, so I left the thick buffer (which came in the gun) in it.  I didn't want to do a lot of shooting without the buffer until I knew it was safe.  Anyone with ties to CZ have input to this?

No damage to your pistol shooting without it. One reason I like it is the idea that it puts a certain amount of preload on the recoil spring using the thick buffer, versus without as all generic cz recoil springs are for a shorter barrel/guide rod found on a 75b (4.6") versus the shadow 2 (4.9"). The thick buffer just happens to be o.14", making up half the distance.

15 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

No damage to your pistol shooting without it. One reason I like it is the idea that it puts a certain amount of preload on the recoil spring using the thick buffer, versus without as all generic cz recoil springs are for a shorter barrel/guide rod found on a 75b (4.6") versus the shadow 2 (4.9"). The thick buffer just happens to be o.14", making up half the distance.

Rowdy.....I'm sure you trialed shooting without any buffers, did you notice anything at all in difference of feel with or without the buffer and if so then what ?....thanks

I've been using thick buffers in my Shadow for years, the Canadian Shadowmates came with them installed. I love them. I run the thick in my Shadow 2 with zero issues. Ridiculously long life on them. I just replaced one that had 17,000 rounds fired with it. 

3 hours ago, slavex said:

I've been using thick buffers in my Shadow for years, the Canadian Shadowmates came with them installed. I love them. I run the thick in my Shadow 2 with zero issues. Ridiculously long life on them. I just replaced one that had 17,000 rounds fired with it. 

Slavex...what's your perception of how it feels with the buffer as opposed to without ?.....also, I notice you shoot 147 grain bullets, what is your perception of 124 grain (and would that make any difference with an optic installed ie. faster cycling for quicker dot tracking ? )...thanks

i too have gotten amazing long life out of the thick buffer. The thins I can tear up in a week. Perception.... well it just feels "different". No worse no better to a degree I could truly quantify. But there is a difference I feel. I want to say it accentuates the 'thump' versus the 'slap' in different bullet weights.

every other gun i've ran a buffer in seemed to hate them but my shadow 2's and my atlas titan.

I have to ask myself, is this a reason I'm gaining or losing 3% on my competitors? If the answer is no, then I don't mess with it too much.

The more I shoot my S2, the more I like it.  I think I'll take it apart this weekend and polish everything. 

I think I'll also try the new CGW drop-in T5 disconnector.  Not sure if the race hammer and sear kit would be a noticeable improvement. 

I just shipped my S2 to CZC for the CO milling.  In the meantime, I bought an SP-01 and gave that a complete makeover and polishing so that I'll have something to use in my local competitions.  I have to say, even though the SP-01 has a great trigger now, and is nice and smooth, I miss my S2.

Also ordered a set of Henning Grips for the S2.  I think I'll move the S2 grips to the SP-01.

Does anyone know if the S2 mag release will fit the SP-01 without any fitting?  If so, I might move that over too until the S2 comes back (in 8-9 weeks...cry emoji).  If it requires fitting, I might buy a second one if they're ever available anywhere.

25 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Yes the mag release fits from teh shadow 2 to the sp01. If you can wait, a few euro websites have them in stock.

Thanks Rowdy.

11 minutes ago, JunotFranco said:

Is the buffer really necessary?

No, not necessary.  It's a personal choice.  I've tried with and without and I use it.  I'm actually trying it in the SP-01 as well...just for kicks.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

In my SP01's I found the thin to work and the thick to cause issues.

Thanks.  Did you see the same or similar life expectancy as you did with the thin one on the Shadow 2?

while it may have zero actual effect, I noticed slide stops lasted longer in my Shadows with a shockbuff. I prefer the feel of the slide hitting the buff vs hitting the steel inside the frame. Less shock. I have had zero issues with feeding or extraction/ejection with shockbuffs. I figure CZ put them in there for a reason, which, when at the factory over the last few years (damn, won't be there this year) the guys there say it reduces wear and tear on the gun. For a $1 part to save wear and tear on other parts I say it's a no brainer. But then, Robin Sebo doesn't run them soooooo

I prefer 147s over 124s, less felt recoil, less snappy and I run sub 0.2 splits with them, often down in the low teens, so yeah, I like em.

20 hours ago, vnboileau said:

The more I shoot my S2, the more I like it.  I think I'll take it apart this weekend and polish everything. 

I think I'll also try the new CGW drop-in T5 disconnector.  Not sure if the race hammer and sear kit would be a noticeable improvement. 

The competition hammer (wide) does hit harder and I noticed that the trigger broke a little crisper. I don't have any scientific data other than comparing how high it launches my pencil.

I'm on approx 4k rnds through my thick buffer. It's gotten stained yellow now from the gun oils and shows no signs of breaking down.

Edited by Trinimon

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I’m really excited to shoot my first match with the shadow 2. I’m coming from a stock 2 and didn’t think it would replace it. Then I shot them back to back and was surprised how much better faster and confidently I shot the shadow. It didn’t feel like a new gun to me at all. 

Now if only my holster shows up soon enough for me to shoot it next weekend