Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the range I belong to, so I know those are true distances.

Talking to  a couple people at a match today about Shadow 2 mods and they mentioned this thread and the question most aksed was, what's the bare minimum I can get away with doing and be happy with the gun? I think the answer to this questions is probably:

• lighter main spring. 8 or 11lb one if you run Federal primers. 13 for anything else.
  • lighter recoil spring appropriate to your ammo and grip. anywhere from 9 to 13 pounds.
  • grips that you like.

This presuposes you already have mags for the gun and are basically familiar with CZ I guess, but I still think you could do just these three things, under 100 bucks worth of stuff, and be very happy. Add in a little bit of polish work when you take it apart and the 10x bushing and I really think you're done. Depending on your price new and taxes, that get's you in and done with a gun that will always work and be no excuses in Production for 1,300ish dollars.

19 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Do they all need the 10x bushing? Funny how all the reviews i read rave about cz accuracy but my 2 sp01s were disappointing. 

Ive got a s2 on order. Its for ipsc though so the bushing isnt allowed. :(

I haven’t found any accuracy issue with my SP01’s or Shadow 2’s - what kind of accuracy are you looking for? For ISPC and USPSA any of the CZ Guns should be more than accurate for what we need them to do. 

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

Do they all need the 10x bushing? Funny how all the reviews i read rave about cz accuracy but my 2 sp01s were disappointing. 

Ive got a s2 on order. Its for ipsc though so the bushing isnt allowed. :(

not all.

i received 2 tso with target  70mm group from the factory  0.3mm  vertical play of the barrel.

both of them need 10x bushing . but few others tso have tight group targets. and this from cz  most accurate gun.?

monday guns?:o

Under 6 inches at 50 yards would be nice. 

My sp01 shadows wouldnt group under 4 inches at 25 yards. My 2nd one would shoot 3 shots into a small group, then the next 3 shots into another small group but the 2 groups would be 8 inches apart at 25m. 

Fingers crossed i am not disappointed for a 3rd time. 

56 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

My sp01 shadows wouldnt group under 4 inches at 25 yards. My 2nd one would shoot 3 shots into a small group, then the next 3 shots into another small group but the 2 groups would be 8 inches apart at 25m. 

6" it's  good  for mass production gun for 50m

at 25m  over 4"   not  o.k. group  even for mass production gun.

with tight bushing and better slide to frame fit it can give u  2" at 25m.

Edited by yigal

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Talking to  a couple people at a match today about Shadow 2 mods and they mentioned this thread and the question most aksed was, what's the bare minimum I can get away with doing and be happy with the gun? I think the answer to this questions is probably:

• lighter main spring. 8 or 11lb one if you run Federal primers. 13 for anything else.
  • lighter recoil spring appropriate to your ammo and grip. anywhere from 9 to 13 pounds.
  • grips that you like.

This presuposes you already have mags for the gun and are basically familiar with CZ I guess, but I still think you could do just these three things, under 100 bucks worth of stuff, and be very happy. Add in a little bit of polish work when you take it apart and the 10x bushing and I really think you're done. Depending on your price new and taxes, that get's you in and done with a gun that will always work and be no excuses in Production for 1,300ish dollars.

Anxiously waiting for my S2 to get here. 

13# HS (want to pop everything)

11# RS. 

VZ Diamond backs

10x bushing if it needs it

Thinner front sight

Don't plan on replacing hammer and sear. Don't plan on polishing. 

The one we dry fired at the berm was definitely gtg!   

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

• grips that you like.

This. I wanted to get into production to see if I liked it before diving head first. Your  description above is pretty much spot on to what I’ve done.  A great pistol out of the box and a few  minimal adjustments to match the shooter. Done and done. 

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Anxiously waiting for my S2 to get here. 

13# HS (want to pop everything)

11# RS. 

VZ Diamond backs

10x bushing if it needs it

Thinner front sight

Don't plan on replacing hammer and sear. Don't plan on polishing. 

The one we dry fired at the berm was definitely gtg!   

For some reason I thought you had a Shadow 2 pretty early on and sold it?  Both of my Shadow 2's were 100% on all primers including cheap hard Russian ones with the 11.5# CGW hammer spring and stock firing pin spring.

Edited by Chili

RE: the 10x bushing.

I do not think it is required at all. Then why did I do it and why did I put it as a 2nd option or maybe for  later modification? 1. Because it is inexpensive. 2. I was able to install it myself successfully. 3. It made a slight, but positive difference. I'd put it in the "nice to have but maybe no necessary", just like changing the sights.

27 minutes ago, Chili said:

For some reason I thought you had a Shadow 2 pretty early on and sold it?  Both of my Shadow 2's were 100% on all primers including cheap hard Russian ones with the 11.5# CGW hammer spring and stock firing pin spring.

I did. They weren't aporoved. I sold it because I was gonna shoot the shadow 1. At least for that week. 

one other spring I highly recommend changing is the firing pin spring, Robin Sebo sells the super super light ones that CZ put in the Canadian Shadowmates that we were getting for a few years from CZUB. No one else has those springs, not CZC not CGW. Robin doesn't even list them on his site, you have to message him and ask for them, but they are much lighter than the Rami ones everyone else sells. That make a huge difference with hard primers. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

one other spring I highly recommend changing is the firing pin spring, Robin Sebo sells the super super light ones that CZ put in the Canadian Shadowmates that we were getting for a few years from CZUB. No one else has those springs, not CZC not CGW. Robin doesn't even list them on his site, you have to message him and ask for them, but they are much lighter than the Rami ones everyone else sells. That make a huge difference with hard primers. 

Hmm, never heard of anyone doing that before. They work fine with the extended FP??

yup, although I don't run the extended FP, never found them to be necessary. I run Russian primers in my practice ammo, and very seldom have an issue, given that I have had the same issue with heavier sprung guns I don't blame the gun, the primers are only good for practice. With CCI, Federal, the new S&B, I have zero issues, ever, even using an 8.5lb spring in my Steel Challenge gun

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 11:38 PM, dansedgli said:

My Shadow 1 does the same. I thought it was me. Other guns I shoot are more consistent. 

No low profile slidestop for the Shadow 2 yet, some of us have filed down the factory ones for practice (not IPSC legal of course). Robin Sebo says the factory is working on a low profile one though, but I'd still be sending them emails asking for it through the contacts page on the CZUB site. 

22 minutes ago, slavex said:

No low profile slidestop for the Shadow 2 yet, some of us have filed down the factory ones for practice (not IPSC legal of course). Robin Sebo says the factory is working on a low profile one though, but I'd still be sending them emails asking for it through the contacts page on the CZUB site. 

I can't wrap my head around why they would offer two sets of safeties but only one slide stop. No one in USPSA or IPSC (gun's intended purpose) uses the slide stop regularly anyway. Make it low profile like the safety! I like those kind of things to just get out of my way.