Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

Today I literally dropped in a new Pre B disco, CZC comp hammer and strut.  I didn't even have to fit the safety.  I have the "that was to easy feeling" though everything seems to be functioning fine.  Is this common or am I just lucky or missing something?

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NWfront said:

Today I literally dropped in a new Pre B disco, CZC comp hammer and strut.  I didn't even have to fit the safety.  I have the "that was to easy feeling" though everything seems to be functioning fine.  Is this common or am I just lucky or missing something?

you used good parts and didn't do any fiddling of your own outside of it. so i think it should be expected you're good to go. right on!

52 minutes ago, NWfront said:

Which CZC comp hammer did you install?

Standard #10035.

I just got back from the range and everything works perfectly.  Primer strikes also look good pairing it with an 85 pin/rami spring and 11lb hs. 

Edited by NWfront

well somehow i ruined my $250 barsto match fit barrel so i'm super bummed at that failed experiment. actually  more like pissed and frustrated enough it gave me a stomach ache would be more accurate.

5 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

well somehow i ruined my $250 barsto match fit barrel so i'm super bummed at that failed experiment. actually  more like pissed and frustrated enough it gave me a stomach ache would be more accurate.

Hate to pour salt... but how'd you do that?

9 hours ago, bofe954 said:

I would talk to barsto about it. They may send you another one.

they were polite when i contacted them but it was basically, to sad to bad man.

Probably shouldn't share this unedited but oh well.....

My first email:

Thank you for making a barrel for the Shadow 2 and for shipping it so quickly. I can tell it would have been a quality addition to my competition set up had I been able to install it correctly.

I had previously installed a semi fit Barso barrel in a Glock 34 and I have fit three different CZ Custom match barrels in CZ SP01 Shadow pistols with no issues. To say I had no trouble installing the match fit barrel in my Shadow 2 would be a gross understatement.

I am not asking for a return or refund. What I am doing is letting you know I feel very frustrated and let down that I now have an uninstalled, worthless piece of metal that could have been a great addition to my psitol. I strongly feel I wasted my time, 6 hours, and money getting the match fit barrel. My hope is that the others who ordered this barrel have a better experience and outcome than I did.

Their reply:

Mr. Bricco,

We are sorry you had trouble fitting the barrel. I have a shadow 2 here and have fit a few and never required anywhere near 6 hours of fitting . It averages me 30 min at most. The only area that needs fitting on any of the ones I have fit are in the cam area flat where it locks up on the slide stop and the breech face area. Usually about .002 off the breech area and off the cam area maybe .005 off the flat area at most. I have never seen any require more than that. If you had given us a call and asked we would have helped you out on the phone to get you in the right area. I am sorry you had a bad experience with our match fit barrel.We are again sorry you had a hard time fitting the barrel.Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Irv Stone III

My second email that went unreplied to:

Thank you for writing back so quickly. When my gunsmith called at 530pm EST it just went to voicemail.

I agree, it should have been a simple process but it was not. I know it is after the fact but here is what I did:

wipe my gun clean. take new barrel out of package.

remove slide and recoil assembly. compare new barrel to stock one visually.

test fit new barrel. remove and sharpie up the flat facets that meet the breech face. tap in new barrel, tap out new barrel and note areas of rub.

hand file areas where sharpie was worn off. repeat.

look at those facets. the tab that goes into the hood. the upper lugs. do the same process with these areas as needed until barrel fully locks up and unlocks with firm hand pressure.

assemble slide, barrel and recoil assembly and check just the upper's function.

assemble full gun and check slide cycle. go back and repeat steps as needed. (this is where it all fell apart)

I did all my removing material with hand files, stones or emery cloth. I could get the barrel within a reasonable amount of time to fit and function properly in the upper with the recoil assembly. Locking and unlocking the barrel with hand pressure and letting the recoil spring return it. The major hang up occurred when I assembled the whole gun and it absolutely would not go fully into battery. This is then were the hours were spent looking at why the normal process I know to fit barrels wasn't working. Both myself and my gunsmith (who worked 11 years for CZ USA in Kansas City and then 2 years at Automatic Accuracy before going solo) could not figure the issue out.

Because I know I'd be supper happy with the barrel had it fit and more importantly functioned properly is why I'm so frustrated and disappointed. My ammo chamber checked perfectly in the gun, the crown of the barrel looks great and it just felt in hand as nice as I'd expected. But in execution it was a no-go.

44 minutes ago, eerw said:

sounds lower lug fit.

Peanut need to be longer at rear? Or flat at bottom to deep ??

they are a pretty barrel.

It is definitely something below the barrel. We took tons of measurements and worked on both those locations to no avail. Took the slide stop retaining spring out and compared both peanuts looking through the hole of the slide stop. The peanut did have to be lengthened at the rear, which we did. Still no help and it definitely wasn't a matter of 0.002-5" here and there. You can see some definite differences just with the naked eye.

It's not really the money that bothers me, but that I can tell it IS a nice barrel and others of theirs I've used made an improvement. But having to chase so many small things for hours and still have it not work just wrenches my insides and sours the experience because like the employee stated in their email, it should be easier and quicker.

I know it is wishful thinking/day dreaming but I'd like for them to get 10 emails this week telling them the same thing and for them to tell me, "Rowdy you were right, something was off. Here is a different barrel" hahaha

Doing it just in the upper I got it fitted and locking and unlocking great. Put the whole gun together and no go to get into battery. Even with a fair bit of reshaping the peanut and working on the flat.

20180618_171914_resized.jpg

20180618_174433_resized.jpg

I'm totally uneducated/inexperienced when it comes to fitting barrels but I got a couple of questions?

1. If it only takes 30 min to fit, then does that really add any accuracy?

2. If it only takes 30 min to fit, then why does it take 8-10 wks if you send them the barrel and gun?

Before we hogpile Barsto, in general gunsmith parts are:

You buy it, you fit it, you mess it up, you are screwed. That is the way it is.

Once in a while I have had companies throw me a bone, since the cost is generally in development, not the piece if metal. They can send a new barrel for free or very little and it doesn't cost them that  much. It also might result in the sale of more barrels, while a ruined barrel in a garbage can does nothing for them or the customer.

They aren't obligated to do it though.

As far as time fitting and it's relation to accuracy. Don't know. The thought is that manufacturers like CZ have to deal with tolerance stacking. So even a minor amount of fitting can make a difference relative to the CZ barrel which has to slide in every shadow 2 ever made.

I totally realize it is on me. I played and now I pay. I'm not roasting barsto so much as showing the big disconnect I had in expectation and execution.

When you read my emails to them I never ask them for anything or blame them for my actions.

Edited by rowdyb

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Doing it just in the upper I got it fitted and locking and unlocking great. Put the whole gun together and no go to get into battery. Even with a fair bit of reshaping the peanut and working on the flat.

20180618_171914_resized.jpg

20180618_174433_resized.jpg

I'm assuming since you know more about fitting a barrel than I ever likely will that you have mic'd the areas that are visibly very different to make sure they are the same or within tolerance comparing to the old barrel/new barrel? 

Also just curious is the Bar Sto ruined ruined, or you just cant get it to fit at the moment?

6 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

since you know more about fitting a barrel

that may not be true. hahaha. but i did what i'd done in the past and no-go. you read the barso email of what to do and i did that. no-go. then i spent hours extra trying to bring it closer to stock with no effect. in 3 different shadow 2s, two of them mine and one other.

ruined ruined? that might be hyperbole but after "touching" so many areas and making so many changes with no positive result i no longer have faith in it. so i left it with the gunsmith and said, "dude keep this out of my sight and do whatever you want with it. i never want to see it again."

i went to the range to do other stuff. i took my both my practice shadow 2 and my match gun. With each I took my time and shot 10 rounds at 30y and 10 rounds at 50 yards. Each time with each gun they all were in the A. so that made my stomach ache of anger go away and just left me with disappointment at failing a task.

Just now, rowdyb said:

that may not be true. hahaha. but i did what i'd done in the past and no-go. you read the barso email of what to do and i did that. no-go. then i spent hours extra trying to bring it closer to stock with no effect. in 3 different shadow 2s, two of them mine and one other.

ruined ruined? that might be hyperbole but after "touching" so many areas and making so many changes with no positive result i no longer have faith in it. so i left it with the gunsmith and said, "dude keep this out of my sight and do whatever you want with it. i never want to see it again."

i went to the range to do other stuff. i took my both my practice shadow 2 and my match gun. With each I took my time and shot 10 rounds at 30y and 10 rounds at 50 yards. Each time with each gun they all were in the A. so that made my stomach ache of anger go away and just left me with disappointment at failing a task.

I figured since a gunsmith was involved all the areas were exhausted, I just wanted to mention it, sometimes a separate set of eyes helps out!

What is the barrel to slide lockup depth difference between the stock barrel and the Barsto? You can measure this by installing the barrel in the slide by hand and holding it in the "Locked Up" position then measuring the height between the the top of the barrel hood and the top of the slide. If the slide lockup depth is shallow on the Barsto then the "Peanut" lug will be too far down keeping it from locking up when the slide pin is installed.

On 1911/2011's you always start with the barrel to slide lockup depth first, then do the lower lug second.

Correct. I did the barrel slide fit first, and the lower second.

I reshaped the peanut/bean in the lower lug to no avail. (And note this isn't an area the make says needs attention. But I noticed it needed it and did it anyway) With the barrel locked up in the slide, looking through the slide stop pin hole in the frame I get clear daylight.

The gunsmith and I sat side by side doing this once I got frustrated. But hey, at least I didn't take away too much material? hahaha.

And I'm not to proud to say that maybe I did make a mistake somewhere, I could have. But following common practice and previous experience with fitting CZ barrels this did not work.

Edited by rowdyb

If you have hogged out the shelf on the "Peanut" lower lug too much then the barrel is likely trashed already. The bottom round part of the Peanut is what pulls the barrel down when the slide comes back and unlocks. If there is an excessive gap between the top and bottom part of the Peanut then the unlock timing will be off and it will beat the s#!t out of the upper lugs on the barrel and slide.

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

The only area that needs fitting on any of the ones I have fit are in the cam area flat where it locks up on the slide stop and the breech face area. Usually about .002 off the breech area and off the cam area maybe .005 off the flat area at most. I have never seen any require more than that.

Direct from barsto themselves what needs to be done. And completely inadequate in my case. "Never taken me more than 30 minutes"......