Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

1 minute ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you have hogged out the shelf on the "Peanut" lower lug too much then the barrel is likely trashed already. The bottom round part of the Peanut is what pulls the barrel down when the slide comes back and unlocks. If there is an excessive gap between the top and bottom part of the Peanut then the unlock timing will be off and it will beat the s#!t out of the upper lugs on the barrel and slide.

No hogging for sure, one reason why my stated time for doing this is sooo long. I've mentally and physically moved on, so it's moot now.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to mention that I gave up on Barsto barrels long ago because their 1911 barrels were being manufactured too inconsistently making every barrel fit a rubics cube puzzle to figure out every time.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:41 AM, CHA-LEE said:

a rubics cube puzzle to figure out every time.

that is an apt description of how i felt. and i was the type of kid in the 80s who either broke theirs apart and reassembled it to solve it or tore all the stickers off and put them back on to solve it.

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Hope it's more accurate for all the trouble. 

Shooting today. Pretty impressed with the stock one I bought from you so it will take some work to improve on that. Now my first one is a different story...

4 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

In what sense? OAL or chamber diameter or something else?

their info says they make them mid sami spec. i'd agree. just doing the simple plunk test of the barrel it seemed more tolerant of tc and rnfp bullet profiles i had around. both to freedom in oal and in diameter. reasonable or not, it would always drive me crazy to load certain bullets to 1.100" to get them to feed and chamber in the stock barrel.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, slavex said:

11.5lb Cajun Gun Works hammer spring, comp hammer, 8lb recoil spring, CZ 1mm disco (new item from CZUB via Robin Sebo), super light firing pin spring from the Shadowmate guns (I think the same as the Orange Shadows might come with), 85C trigger, and that's it. When I'm shooting Steel Challenge I throw in a 8.5lb hammer spring and make sure I am using Federal primers.

Any recoil buffer with that set up?

While technically not a modification done by me, here's my S2 milled for CO by CZC.  The whole slide appears to have been cerakoted, so I did a quick smoothing of the rails.  Nothing to heavy handed, just enough to take the grit out of the cycling.  Also, I didn't wipe it down before taking the pictures, so you'll have to excuse the smears from the grease.

I received it back from CZC ~3.5 weeks early, got the DPP mounted with lock tight last night.  I'm going to try to re-zero it today.  According to Stuart, I shouldn't have to change anything else to make weight, but I'll check it anyway, just to be sure.  For now, I'm going to stay with the Henning grips and SS guide rod as well as the protective plate on the DPP.  I opted to go the CZC route in case I decide to change optics.  Or if I ever sell it, the buyer can put on whatever dot they want.  Seems all the other places doing the milling had to have it cut to the specific red dot.  So it cost a little more, but it's also more flexible.

Now I'm really trying to avoid buying an open gun.

147622165_SlideCut2.thumb.jpg.8630af35a9593ae162364767ecfc312a.jpg673746623_SlideCut1.jpg.b2f2f78ae31a29b6d3289f3e4db44258.jpg2008148439_SlideCut3.jpg.972f7db7138d3782e1a9d4c46e386c30.jpg143513562_SlideCut5.jpg.cb1d9a5cfd44717eac567b04fc0fc111.jpg1915433432_SlideCut4.jpg.2e2f9574a5d4e197304c4d7eb31378e7.jpg

2 hours ago, clw42 said:

While technically not a modification done by me, here's my S2 milled for CO by CZC.  The whole slide appears to have been cerakoted, so I did a quick smoothing of the rails.  Nothing to heavy handed, just enough to take the grit out of the cycling.  Also, I didn't wipe it down before taking the pictures, so you'll have to excuse the smears from the grease.

I received it back from CZC ~3.5 weeks early, got the DPP mounted with lock tight last night.  I'm going to try to re-zero it today.  According to Stuart, I shouldn't have to change anything else to make weight, but I'll check it anyway, just to be sure.  For now, I'm going to stay with the Henning grips and SS guide rod as well as the protective plate on the DPP.  I opted to go the CZC route in case I decide to change optics.  Or if I ever sell it, the buyer can put on whatever dot they want.  Seems all the other places doing the milling had to have it cut to the specific red dot.  So it cost a little more, but it's also more flexible.

147622165_SlideCut2.thumb.jpg.8630af35a9593ae162364767ecfc312a.jpg673746623_SlideCut1.jpg.b2f2f78ae31a29b6d3289f3e4db44258.jpg2008148439_SlideCut3.jpg.972f7db7138d3782e1a9d4c46e386c30.jpg143513562_SlideCut5.jpg.cb1d9a5cfd44717eac567b04fc0fc111.jpg1915433432_SlideCut4.jpg.2e2f9574a5d4e197304c4d7eb31378e7.jpg

Please weigh.. I will be curious as I dont know what Hennings grips weigh in at. 

28 minutes ago, eerw said:

Please weigh.. I will be curious as I dont know what Hennings grips weigh in at.  

I believe they are lighter than stock grips by fractions of an ounce if memory serves.  I weighed them prior to sending you the slide, so I should know, but I didn't write it down.  I'll double check when I have a chance and post back.

2 hours ago, WxGuy said:

That's a very nice looking gun!!  Congrats.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, eerw said:

Henning grips weigh 53g with hardware while the stock grips weigh 60g with hardware. Essentially a .25oz weight savings.

the SSI Scales 2.0 CZ75 weigh 42g according to their website and the SSI Scales 2.0 Tactical Sport versions weigh 34g. The TS version doesn’t go to the bottom of the frame and are a tad narrower than the typical width.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, clw42 said:

couldn't you just got SAO on the trigger and get a compensator on this? flared magwell and mag extensions and you're there.

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd shadow 2 and having CZC do this job on it as well. If I feel I'm getting good enough to go against the "open" guys

I'll just soup this one up to start with.

Since Red posted the weight of the grips, I figured I'd show the total weight with mag after the slide work.  Scale was calibrated using the calibration weights from my powder scale so it should be reasonably accurate:

(and it's 44.19 ounces)

S2 With Mag.jpg

Edited by clw42

1 hour ago, kmanick said:

couldn't you just got SAO on the trigger and get a compensator on this? flared magwell and mag extensions and you're there.

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd shadow 2 and having CZC do this job on it as well. If I feel I'm getting good enough to go against the "open" guys

I'll just soup this one up to start with.

I don't think you can get a comp on the S2, maybe I'm wrong though.  I've actually been considering the Czechmate since I'm pretty familiar with the overall CZ platform.  I'd really love an Atlas Chaos, but I don't think I can justify the cost...I don't shoot nearly well enough or often enough for that sort of coinage.  Besides, I think I'd benefit more from spending it on reloading components and practice.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So are you going to run a lower capacity mag then, as in your scale photo? I know I sure want the 23 rounds I get in a mag for my current CO set up versus 18.

Unfortunately, yes.  I live in a less than free state so that's actually a 10 rounder, not even 18.