Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

My P320s have all run much better with shorter overall loads. Same for my MPX. My current FP 9mm load is 1.105"

I picked up a used 2011 and am finding that I will now have to start making two different lengths of 9mm ammo because it seems to prefer much longer loads. I don't keep close track of round count through my P320s but it has to be over 40,000 over the last four years and I have never experienced that. It's possible that loading shorter could have help.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, alma said:

My P320s have all run much better with shorter overall loads. Same for my MPX. My current FP 9mm load is 1.105"

I picked up a used 2011 and am finding that I will now have to start making two different lengths of 9mm ammo because it seems to prefer much longer loads. I don't keep close track of round count through my P320s but it has to be over 40,000 over the last four years and I have never experienced that. It's possible that loading shorter could have help.

I don't think so, because I load mine pretty long (1.155)and have never had any problems 10,000+.  My backup is the same story.  

On 1/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, Sokam101 said:

Has anyone heard of under barrel damage caused from using a fat rod and a light recoil spring? Scott Springer says that anything under a 14# spring will cause this. I was using a 13# wolff on a grey guns fat rod but someone sent me these and I dont want this happening. Look at the little bit or wear I have from about 1000 rounds. Does anyone have any insight on this happening?

50227191_2182140991998669_2378791057346265088_n.jpg

50006577_478889559306963_199030751591661568_n.jpg

49896714_616420258797478_1151104089195544576_n.jpg

I finally got around to checking the barrel on my original X5 (it has the silver barrel), and I found some marks similar to what you're getting. For most of the gun's life I've done as Springer advised and ran 14# recoil springs, but for the last 1000 or so rounds I've been running a 12.5# ISMI. Gotta say I like the 12.5 better. The gun hits a little harder in the hand with 124gr reloads, but it returns to target so consistently and so quick. When shooting doubles at distances from 5 to 25ish yards the hits are closer together and are coming about quicker than with the 14#. So, with that said, anyone know what the long term prognosis might be for this problem? Is the damage to the barrel lug, where we can see it occurring, going to cause any problems long term? I'm thinking no based on what I'm seeing, but I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Alma, thanks for the Youtube video on the Grayguns trigger install.

I finally got around to installing mine and taking it to the range for the first time this weekend. I made the switch from a G34 after shooting a friend's X5 in two matches last year. I'm really liking it overall, and the trigger is way better than any Glock I've ever shot. Crisp and short.

I shot a 320 in Production a while back and recently have been using a X5 in CO.  Just registered for a match where I will need to shoot Production.

Tried the 320 out last night and I think I would like to give the X5 a try.  

After reading through the rules it appears that the magazines that come with the X5 will not work due to not fitting the box (I did not check this but it would seem they are long).  Is everyone using the 320 mags instead?

Am I correct in my interpretation that the mag well would not be legal in Production?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, gearguywb said:

I shot a 320 in Production a while back and recently have been using a X5 in CO.  Just registered for a match where I will need to shoot Production.

Tried the 320 out last night and I think I would like to give the X5 a try.  

After reading through the rules it appears that the magazines that come with the X5 will not work due to not fitting the box (I did not check this but it would seem they are long).  Is everyone using the 320 mags instead?

Am I correct in my interpretation that the mag well would not be legal in Production?

Thanks!

1. The 21 round mags that come with the X5 are not legal for USPSA/Production, USPSA/CO, and any IDPA pistol division. 

2. The magwell that comes with the X5 is not legal for the USPSA divisions and is not legal for IDPA SSP either. You could use it in IDPA ESP.

Edited by ddc
Correctd IDPA information

7 minutes ago, ddc said:

1. The 21 round mags that come with the X5 are not legal for USPSA/Production, USPSA/CO, and any IDPA pistol division. 

2. The magwell that comes with the X5 is not legal for the USPSA divisions and is not legal for IDPA SSP either. You could use it in IDPA ESP.

I am pretty sure the 21 round mags are legal in USPSA CO.

46 minutes ago, gearguywb said:

I need to see if they fit, as my 320 mags all have Springer base pads.  Not sure if they will fit in the X5 as they come.

Sorry for lurking intrusion, but I happened to be on Sig’s website yesterday and in bold print, they warn the stock P320 mags will not fit the X5. I’m considering a move to Sig for CO. Last weekend I got to fondle an RX but I see that X5’s are popular here so trying to figure out the difference.

3 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Sorry for lurking intrusion, but I happened to be on Sig’s website yesterday and in bold print, they warn the stock P320 mags will not fit the X5. I’m considering a move to Sig for CO. Last weekend I got to fondle an RX but I see that X5’s are popular here so trying to figure out the difference.

That is because of the shape of the 320 base pads. They have wings on the sides that prevent them from clearing the X5 grip. Flat bottom bases without the wings, like Springer, will work, or Dremel the wings down to fit in the X5 grip. Or buy the mags specifically for the XCarry. The grip is the same as the X5, just a little shorter dustcover.

Just be sure to buy the 17rd. mags that are for the full size. The 15rd. mags are for the compact, and the tubes are too short to fit in an X5 grip no matter what base pads you use.

Edited by OPENB

I run 17 round “Standard”  P320F and P320CA magazines in my X5 because I shoot SSP and Production.  The P320X series need magazines with the rectangle shaped base plate retaining pin in them - they have the tapered wings on them that the X series mags must have.  You can buy those base plate assemblies from SIG as a stand alone part to convert original/old style “standard” mags to X series use. Or, as others have posted, you can file the wings of the original/old style base plates (with the circular base plate retaining pin) so they have the same thinning upward angle that the wings of the X series mag base plates have. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

12 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

I am pretty sure the 21 round mags are legal in USPSA CO.

Yeah, you are correct, sorry.  I edited that damn post about three times and I still got some stuff wrong. lol...

Although as pointed out they may be a tad bit too long for the 140mm(141.25mm) gauge with the stock baseplates.

12 hours ago, gearguywb said:

The 21 rd mags are legal for CO, but you need to check them in a gauge first.  Most are 1-2mm too long.  Same issue with TT base pads.  Several were measured at our last match and did not quite fit the gauge.

That's the first I'd heard about the TT baseplates being a problem.

2 hours ago, gearguywb said:

We measured 6 magazines in the official gauge.  All but one would not seat fully against the back of the gauge.  They were really close, but if someone wanted to give you a bad day they certainly could.

That is disappointing... 😕 

Wish they wouldn't cut it so close.

I've got some +5 pads for an M&P that fit my 17 round 320 mags just fine but I have not checked them with a gauge.

• 2 weeks later...