Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

IMO the romeo 1 wins as far as glass clarity and true 1x. The venom to my eye has slight magnification. I'd look through both side by side if you could. The only thing that has kept me from a romeo so far is the stories of durability I have heard. If it wasn't for that I'd already own one!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW

I own 3 Romeo1 6moa's 

the two I bought new have several thousands of rounds on each of them.

One on an RX CO gun 

The other has been on an open gun for about 2k then on an x-5 CO gun for about 4-5 k no problems at all.

I bought a used on here on Benos, prior owner said it had some marks on it from taking a tumble when the slide/optic fell

off the bench when he was cleaning the gun etc, but still worked fine.

After about 1000 rounds it lost elevation hold.

I emailed SIG on Saturday night after I verified the elevation adjustment wasn't holding.

SIG emailed back Monday morning asking for more info on the sight itself (ser# etc)

Tuesday I got an express return sticker from them for FedEx.

Sight went out Tuesday evening around 4p.m.

Today Tuesday , one week later, I received a NEW , not a reconditioned sight from SIG.

YEP, the best warranty is the one you don't have to use!  But I gotta say 7/8 day turn around is Great CS in my opinion.

FWIW.  I like the Romeo1 6moa better for CO than any of the other sights I've used. It's small, light and the dot is bright even in Bright sun light.

I do prefer a taller/higher window for open

My experience with red dots goes back to the original Delta Point, still one of my favorites. Which is probably why I like the Romeo's so much

they're very reminiscent of the original delta point.

New DPP are great sights but Big and Heavy.

Venom's are nice but have seen personally and had to many break

FFll and FFlll seem good and hold up well, don't like the glass as much as the others

My 2 cents hope it helps you make a good choice.

Edited by jcc7x7

I would certainly not shoot that pistol in that condition.  If the bottom of one of those cases has a catastrophic rupture it is going to blow the magazine out of the gun and could certainly cause injury to the shooter.

14 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Shot another match with my x5 tonight. Time to retire it until i get a barrel I reckon. 

Which barrel do you have?  Is yours one of the early X5s? If I were to buy a new one now, would it have the same potential problem?

On 5/1/2017 at 4:14 AM, Nick179 said:

or the last 3 years I'd take the "shipping now" to distributor

Its an early silver barrel type.

Ive not seen any problems with later guns. Who knows though.

Im certainly wary about buying another one. 

Hands up who has shot a reasonable amount of reloads in their x5s without any issues? 

Im going to buy another sig to use my parts on and order a barsto for my x5. 

It looks like new x5s still have a heavily bevelled chamber where the p320rx does not so I cant decide which to buy. 

14 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Hands up who has shot a reasonable amount of reloads in their x5s without any issues? 

It looks like new x5s still have a heavily bevelled chamber where the p320rx does not so I cant decide which to buy. 

That's all I shoot. I do use a lighter recoil spring though.

25 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I have an early silver barrel X5 that has tens of thousands of rounds through it that has never experienced this issue.

I have a customer with a later X5 (black barrel, post update) that I have installed 4 new extractors in, and blown cases similar to this. I am almost sure that this gun is an ammunition issue, as the customer does not have problems with factory ammo and has relegated the X5 to factory only. I was unable to duplicate their issues through 500+ rounds of factory ammo and 200 of my 145gr coated handloads, and then it blew another extractor 120 rounds back into their ammo.

54 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I had been shootings my reloads after I broke in my X5 with about 500 rounds of factory 115 Gr federal FMJ. No problems so far. I also installed a Springer precision guide rod and a 10# Wilson combat recoil spring. 

My reloads are 124 Gr RMR FMJ RN, TCFP and JHP plus PD JHP with 4.1 Gr of Winchester 231.

31 minutes ago, WhiteDingo said:

I have an early silver barrel X5 that has tens of thousands of rounds through it that has never experienced this issue.

I have a customer with a later X5 (black barrel, post update) that I have installed 4 new extractors in, and blown cases similar to this. I am almost sure that this gun is an ammunition issue, as the customer does not have problems with factory ammo and has relegated the X5 to factory only. I was unable to duplicate their issues through 500+ rounds of factory ammo and 200 of my 145gr coated handloads, and then it blew another extractor 120 rounds back into their ammo.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It certainly gives me something to think about. 😕 

Do you use mixed brass for your own reloads? 

Realistically I am not going to stop shooting reloads. It's just not feasible to shoot factory ammo where I live. 

@George16  how many rounds do you think you've shot? Mixed brass? 

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

1 year old RX with over 7k of reloads, 160gr 147gr and 125gr 90% 125gr cause they shoot better than the others.

never a problem but I run a 13lbs recoil spring cause with a lighter spring on an unloaded start I was getting an occasional failure to go into battery.

Not one problem to date.  All ammo "plunk tests"  Most is loaded to 1.140ish

USED X-5 I traded for about 4-5 months ago not sure of overall round count I've done about 3K through it, no wear pattern on bbl yet.

Above info the same regarding loads etc.

No failures of any kind.

Since the threads about "out of battery" info has come out I've been very watchful of my brass etc.

Both my bbl's are close to the same regarding the edge of the chamber, with slightly more bevel on the x-5

Hope somehow this info helps you.

27 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It certainly gives me something to think about. 😕 

Do you use mixed brass for your own reloads? 

Realistically I am not going to stop shooting reloads. It's just not feasible to shoot factory ammo where I live. 

All range pickup brass, multiple headstamp and wear. Certain headstamps(internal step, etc) removed, final stuff case gauged.

I understand about factory ammo not being feasible. They found a solution that they were "happy" with.

I can't recall: Did you experience the issue with factory ammo (or new brass) as well? I'm curious if maybe you're seeing the issue due to fatigued brass, weak case web, etc., or if it is across the board.

Both.

Fatigued brass certainly doesn't help and could be a contributing factor but its never been a problem in my CZ's, 1911's or Glocks.

I've had at least 30 cases bulge and 1 blow out out of approx 450 rounds through the x5. I've probably shot 150,000 reloads through other 9mm guns over the last 6 or 7 years and NEVER had a blowout of any kind. 

I could live with the bulging but having a blow out and an extractor leaving my gun mid stage would ruin my match. 

52 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I have shot almost 5k of my reloads on my X5. Ive had it since November 2017. I also used mixed brass if I’m too lazy to sort head stamps. Lately, I had been sorting by headstamps so there is less variance in OAL. All the brass are range pick ups.

I mostly use S & B, RP, Speer and Fiocchi brass. I also use Winchester small pistol primers.

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

Thanks for that. Did you prefer the rx over the x5?

Actually prefer the RX, but I've changed the Romeo 1 3moa to the 6 moa.

I've shot my fastest Steel Challenge match with that gun ,including vs my custom open guns etc.

I put the large grip module on it and SilCarb'd the grip.

GreyGuns trigger kit in it.

Very comfortable to shoot, Dot doesn't seem to leave the window and I shoot 125 Bayou's out of it cause they group

About half the size of 147's

After owning both for a while if I had to start over again I'd buy two RX's sell the 3 moa dots and get the 6moa's and be

very content with what I had.

I want to like the x-5 better but for "me" it seems I shoot the RX better

4 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I've got three X5s. The first one is an early generation, silver barrel version, the second is a black barreled version with the old trigger, and the third one was made late last year. I shoot 124gr bullets loaded to 1.10" in all three of them. I have used N320, Titegroup, Prima V, and E3 for powders and haven't had a single issue with any of my reloads. I also have shot quite a few 135gr The Blue Bullets projectiles through the first two and have had great results. 

I'd get a hold of Sig if you haven't already and give them a chance to help you out with this issue. 

They aren't interested unfortunately. It's a bit like that when you live in a country on the other side of the world.

They referred me to the local distributor who told me that the warranty is over because I bought it 2nd hand. Tough luck. 

This makes me hesitant to buy another one. 

Also I assume the romeo 1 that came with it is no longer under warranty. If I get an RX it's a safe choice. The gun will be under warranty and I'll have a dot under warranty. 

If I buy an X5, the dot isn't under warranty and I could end up with 2 guns that bulge cases. 

Edited by dansedgli