Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

I did that last week. I was told to go through my local distributor and they cant help. 

Living in Australia sucks eggs for things like this. 

Ive learnt my lesson. Never buy a 2nd hand sig from someone who hasnt shot it enough to find any faults. 😑

Edited by dansedgli

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I did that last week. I was told to go through my local distributor and they cant help. 

Living in Australia sucks eggs for things like this. 

Ive learnt my lesson. Never buy a 2nd hand sig from someone who hasnt shot it enough to find any faults. 😑

I don’t suppose that there’s a different distributor that might help you out?

As far as I know, Sig’s lifetime warranty isn’t just for the original owner.

Hello to all here, I just purchased a  P320 X5 this past Wednesday and had been on the  AR15.com forum in the hand gun section asking a few questions and one of the members suggested that I come here for the best information . Wow 3 nights of reading thru 73 pages and I have really gotten some good info and advice. Alma I am ordering a holster from Red Hill Tactical for my X5 due to your recommendation and the great pictures here on the site. Talked to Lindsey late Friday and she was great helping with the holster options.

Ok here's the story, I'm a retired LEO and have not done any shooting since I retired (18 yrs) until I decided to get and AR a few months ago. Got to watching you tube videos of different things people were doing to up grade them mostly optics at first. But one thing lead to another then got to watching the 3 Gun videos. I started thinking I might like to try some competitive shooting again, I was the top gun on the department for years and won some state matches in law enforcement. Now in my mid 60s I hope to enjoy just getting out and have some fun shooting again.

When I bought my AR I got a mid level smooth top that I could put what I wanted on it mostly for home defense. In a short time I had spent more on it in upgrades than I paid for it, Optics, mounts, trigger, sling, lights and laser. So when I started thinking about a new pistol for this endeavor I said to myself let's get one ready for the task and not have to do all the upgrades. I happen to be in the local gun shop last week and saw the X5 and what little I knew about Sig Sauer and nothing about the X5 I was Interested. I did a little online searching (didn't find this) and was really impressed with the X5.

So here I am proud owner of the competition ready X5 ready to start upgrading it once I have it broke in. Round count at 250 as of yesterday, first day at the range, shooting a little left and low but that may be me as this is the first striker fire pistol I've ever owned. 

LOL when will the madness end

DK

DK

It doesn't end!!!!!

Gray Guns trigger kit would be my first upgrade

Then a Guide rod that you can change (1911) springs on to help tune the pistol to you and your loads.

Then since you're an older guy probably a Romeo 1 6moa reddot to shoot carry optics (old man open!)

Then

Then

Then

you get the idea

Enjoy your new X-5

For those of you that shoot the X5 in competition I have a few questions. All of my past shooting competitions have been inside the law enforcement arena with duty rigs and weapons. From reading a lot of the post it seems that depending on what of governing body the competition is held under and what tier/section you shoot in the rules can be quite different. Having this in mind I really don't know at this time what type of competition shooting I will be competing in depending on what's available in the area. I know I'm looking for something more tactical in nature and maybe multi gun but not ready for 3 gun at this point. One of the local ranges has a tactical pistol comp one evening then a tactical rifle another evening. This is where I will most likely start, then hone my skills to explore other types of shooting competitions.

That being said, I need to get some gear for the task as most everything I have is from my law enforcement career and is very duty orientated. I am planning on getting the RHT competition  holster that Alma and some others have recommend here.  I'm also plan on getting a belt and adjustable mag holders not sure what else I will need. On some of the rigs I see magnetic mag holder shown in the set ups, not sure on what they are for unless is starting with an uncharged weapon. 

My question is will the RHT holster cross over between the different types of events, maybe even to 3 gun at some point or will I have to have different setups?

Look forward to your comments and suggestions to keep me from making bad purchases!! 

MY WIFE will thank you too!

DK

I am also considering putting a Red Dot on my X5 and considering the Sig Romeo 1 or Vortex Venom 3 MOA.

Does the Venom require an adapter plate to mount as it is my preference due to cost and warranty program?

Then I can compete in the Old Man Open Class per jcc7X7  ROTFL

DK

Edited by LawDog324
add

27 minutes ago, LawDog324 said:

I am also considering putting a Red Dot on my X5 and considering the Sig Romeo 1 or Vortex Venom 3 MOA.

Does the Venom require an adapter plate to mount as it is my preference due to cost and warranty program?

DK

Yes, if I recall correctly, I used a Springer plate with the Venom on my X5

57 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I just did this and yes, the Springer plate works with the Venom. This one: https://shop.springerprecision.com/Springer-Precision-P320-X5-Burris-Docter-Venom-adapter-plate-SP0223.htm

10 hours ago, B585 said:

Yes, if I recall correctly, I used a Springer plate with the Venom on my X5

That's good to know. I was hoping it would mount without the adapter but I still really like the Venom. How have yours worked out and which MOA did you go with 3 or 6?

So far about 3-4K rounds and no issues with the Venom.  I haven’t played with a lot of red dots on pistols, but I am very happy with the Venom and have no plans to switch.  I am not sure why they don’t get more love on here. Please note that all of those rounds on the Venom was not with the X5.  1k through a M&P and the rest with a Tanfo Stock II. I purchased an X5 for Carry Optics, but found the grip too small for hands so I ultimately traded my X5 for the Tanfo.

Is anyone running the SJC frame weight on thier X5? I installed on mine and if I tighten all of the screws down on each side of the rail the gun will not return to battery after being fired. I've sent an email to SJC to see what they say but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues.

18 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

My question is will the RHT holster cross over between the different types of events, maybe even to 3 gun at some point or will I have to have different setups?

The RHT holster is great for USPSA/IDPA and other similar "action pistol" type events.

I don't know if it would be the best choice for 3 gun. I don't shoot that but my understanding is that those guys often use something with a more active retention system. 

I'm curious what the 3 gun guys will say about that.

12 minutes ago, ddc said:

The RHT holster is great for USPSA/IDPA and other similar "action pistol" type events.

I don't know if it would be the best choice for 3 gun. I don't shoot that but my understanding is that those guys often use something with a more active retention system. 

I'm curious what the 3 gun guys will say about that.

I can say from experience that a DQ due to lack of retention isn’t a fun way to end a day. That said, I believe you can order the RHT holsters with a hood if you intend to shoot 3-gun. 

1 hour ago, BelRiose said:

I can say from experience that a DQ due to lack of retention isn’t a fun way to end a day. That said, I believe you can order the RHT holsters with a hood if you intend to shoot 3-gun. 

Thx I'll keep that in mind and check the options. 

At this point I'm not ready for 3 gun, but may consider later.

DK

20 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

DK

All I can say here is that you should highly consider the 6 MOA red dot rather than the 3 MOA. I am going to be turning 60 this year, and my eyes can pickup the 6 MOA dot much easier than the 3 MOA dot for action sports.

For action sports, I have a 3 MOA Venom on my .22 pistol that I use for steel matches (SCSA), and the 6 MOA SIG Romeo 1 on my X5. I MUCH prefer the 6 MOA dot. I will probably be ditching the 3 MOA Venom in favor of a 6 MOA replacement sometime soon.

Now for more precision work like rifle accuracy stuff, I prefer the smaller dot, and have a 3 MOA dot on one of my AR rifles, which I love, but for action sports, go with the 6 MOA. You will thank me later!!! 😉

8 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

All I can say here is that you should highly consider the 6 MOA red dot rather than the 3 MOA. I am going to be turning 60 this year, and my eyes can pickup the 6 MOA dot much easier than the 3 MOA dot for action sports.

For action sports, I have a 3 MOA Venom on my .22 pistol that I use for steel matches (SCSA), and the 6 MOA SIG Romeo 1 on my X5. I MUCH prefer the 6 MOA dot. I will probably be ditching the 3 MOA Venom in favor of a 6 MOA replacement sometime soon.

Now for more precision work like rifle accuracy stuff, I prefer the smaller dot, and have a 3 MOA dot on one of my AR rifles, which I love, but for action sports, go with the 6 MOA. You will thank me later!!! 😉

I understand what you are saying, however I have a mild astigmatism issue that causes the dot to look more like a comma and the more I focus on it the bigger it gets. I have found it to be completely unworkable on a rifle as I started out with a low end scope type 4 MOA RD on my AR 15. Part of the problem was the scope type RD and me focusing  on the dot not the target. I don't think I'll have issue with the reflex type pistol RD due to the distance of normal eye relief. I have found that dimming the RD help remove the effect on any of the RDs that I have tried. I put a LPVO on my AR 15 with the illuminated radical and I have no problem with it on any level of brightness. 

I was thinking the smaller 3 MOA was also less likely to cause the effect, however this is just a guess. 

What are your thoughts in comparing the Romeo 1 and the Venom other than the MOA size? I will have to admit that I'm leaning towards the Vortex due to the warranty they have. I looked at the Sig warranty program and it is also life time except for the electronics and that's 5 years. The price of both is pretty much the same except I will have to buy the adapter plate for the Venom. 

If you want to send me the 3 MOA Venom I'll be happy to give it a try!!!😀

DK

Edited by LawDog324

During dry fire you will like the 3 better, but outdoors that might not be the case, even with astigmatism.   If you were going to buy it local, why don’t you see if you can take it outside to look through it. When I am in doors with my 6 MOA, I can see the tail from astigmatism, but once I am outdoors, it looks like a perfect circle.

5 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

I was thinking the smaller 3 MOA was also less likely to cause the effect, however this is just a guess. 

I have a bit of the astigmatism problem also.

With some RDS it looks sort of like two dots very close to each other.

With others there is a elongation or tail or what seems to me to be an excessive amount of starburst.

I've noticed it the least with the Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA dot compared to the other RDS I've looked through.

At lower brightness settings I almost don't notice it.

15 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

What are your thoughts in comparing the Romeo 1 and the Venom other than the MOA size? I will have to admit that I'm leaning towards the Vortex due to the warranty they have. I looked at the Sig warranty program and it is also life time except for the electronics and that's 5 years. The price of both is pretty much the same except I will have to buy the adapter plate for the Venom. 

Honestly, I cannot say one is better than the other at this point. I think I prefer the glass on the Romeo1 a bit better, and I am certainly able to pick up the dot better on recoil, but that could be due to the bigger dot. The Venom is on a .22 with hardly any recoil, yet I can still pickup the dot better for followup shots on the Romeo 1 that is on my X5.

I haven't shot the Venom extensively, but I have installed, sighted and fire-tested one for a friend on his Glock 20 using the Glock MOS kit.  

Brightness and dot acquisition were fine, lifespan on the 10MM remains to be seen.  Fortunately for him, he is sponsored by Vortex and would get instant service if needed.