Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Total Round Count

Do you actually count every round fired through your guns? I see a lot of people saying "my Glock has x number of rounds through it." I have a general idea how many rounds are through my guns, but I don't keep a written tally. So what say you?

i always see round counts of round numbers (300, 1000, 10k), and not of exact numbers like 13,328. That makes me think everyone is just providing a ballpark guesstimate based on ammo/component purchases or typical practice schedule over time.

I base my count on bullet purchases for my reloading, minus current stock - if they're gone then i shot them.

Since each of my guns is a different calibre, this system works for me

Sent by Jedi mind control

I keep a small note book in my shooting bag and I have 2 blank pages per gun. Every time I get done shooting I write the number of shots in the book and show the new sum. I go by 50's and 100's and I always round up to the 50th or 100th. I always write in the book when I change a component on my gun so I can keep track of the age of all my springs and such.

I have a pretty good ballpark estimate. I like to keep track for spring replacements as well as just overall count. I try not to sell guns so I don't usually have to worry about someone wanting an exact count.

I have a notebook I use to keep track of the data for each reloading session so I can note performance/accuracy of the load, any issues, or any tinkering with the recipe. Depending on how many rounds I have loaded on the shelf I can get within a hundred or so of how many rounds through each gun. So when you get into the thousands, that's pretty exactish.

I keep an Excel file for every pistol with a round count from every outing. I keep track of type or ammo, failures and anything thing I notice during the outing. This helps me to know when to perform maintenance.

I thought about saving the 5K primer boxes so I could keep track, but when I got up to my armpits in primer boxes I figured it didn't matter anymore and threw them all in the recycle bin. Now I have only guesses. :surprise:

I keep an Excel file for every pistol with a round count from every outing. I keep track of type or ammo, failures and anything thing I notice during the outing. This helps me to know when to perform maintenance.

I do something similar. I have spreadsheets where I track reloading data and rounds used for practice/competition for the various pistols I have. Like others have said it helps with maintenance schedules as well.

I think the reason folks see round numbers on estimates is that even if an exact count is known it's just easier to ballpark.

I have a complete record of every bullet order in my reloading journal but I have to ballpark the factory ammo I bought before that. When I sell guns I try to give the best estimate I can, people usually think it's an absurdly high number. They clearly aren't shooting very often.

Wow some of you guys are over the top! I just figure that I'll change the springs in my competition handgun at the beginning of every season. I don't plan to ever sell any guns, so that's not a problem. I do keep a log for my .308 so I know when it's going to be time for a new barrel.

I started counting rounds, then stopped. (I'm lazy) now just go by how many bullets are purchased. It's a hobby done for enjoyment, tracking things really close would make it more of a chore.

Now, if I was more skillful, it might make a difference. But, I'm too old to be really competitive.

• 4 weeks later...