Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Total Round Count

When I see round counts of 10k+ on other gun forums, I usually divide the stated number of rounds through their gun by 10. Men like to brag. We all know our casual shooting buddies are slightly... optimistic... about skillsets and such. Your average visitor to a static range probably shoots 500-5,000 rounds a year in total.

Here on Enos, I assume it's closer to 2:1 or perhaps even 1:1.

When I say my M&P 9L production gun has 30k through it, that's because it's eaten 10 3,000-round cases of bullets that got fed to my Dillon in order to produce match ammo. Actual round count is probably a good bit higher - I count the rounds I can say for certain have been fed to the gun, instead of doubling the "maybes" and adding those to the tally to impress people on the Internet.

I keep a running exact tally on BoomerShooter, on which there's a sort of yearly round count honor system thread. Kinda fun. It has been helpful when reselling a couple Glocks.

I count using the 100-count MTM ammo boxes when they are empty. Makes it super easy to do and to remember. Count the number of boxes and multiply by 100.

I have an excel spread sheet and I update it every time i shoot. Round numbers ....not exact but it helps keep track of maintenance cleaning etc. Also helps to realize which ones I don't shoot and should maybe send down the road.

I have an excel spread sheet and I update it every time i shoot. Round numbers ....not exact but it helps keep track of maintenance cleaning etc. Also helps to realize which ones I don't shoot and should maybe send down the road.

This! Altough I keep mine to the actual round.

I update my excel spreadsheet after every session. Helps me keep track of when to change springs or perform preventive maintenance (i.e. detail strip).

I usually bring my ammo to the range in plastic flip boxes and can get the round count by checking the boxes when I get home....I rarely shoot the same caliber out of multiple guns per range trip so that makes it easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep a small note book in my shooting bag and I have 2 blank pages per gun. Every time I get done shooting I write the number of shots in the book and show the new sum. I go by 50's and 100's and I always round up to the 50th or 100th. I always write in the book when I change a component on my gun so I can keep track of the age of all my springs and such.

I do exactly the same.