Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you keep from burning out?

I started shooting at the end of last summer - I got my first gun in July and was in my first USPSA match a couple of weeks later. I had more fun than I could have imagined, and have shot competitively ~3 weeks per month since then. In addition I've spent thousands on guns, gear, reloading, etc. and plenty of time reloading or driving to a range.

Nothing has changed, but I realized this morning that I want this to stay fresh and fun for a long time. I don't want to get burned out and end up with a room full of equipment that doesn't get used much.

So, for those of you who got into shooting sports in a similar fashion, how do you keep from getting burned out? I guess the one thing that comes to mind is taking winters off, at least for the most part, or focusing on reloading and gear modification during the off-season and not shooting as much.

I shoot all year, several times a week and to keep fresh, I shoot a different gun or a different division each year. This year I'm using my 9mm 1911 in SS, next year my XD in production, etc. I have four different guns to rotate. Hope that helps!

Been shooting IPSC since 1978, burnt out twice already and took a couple of years off then got back into a new division. I usually don't do anything half way.

One of the ways to keep from burning out, is more than likely going to mean you will do many divisions at different times. And will guarantee you have a room full of equipment you won't use. But hopefully you will be able to cycle back and forth over the years. So it's all good.

One thought though, when you get a set up you do well with, don't sell/trade it off. I still regret letting my Open Rig go, it's the only Division I don't have specific gear for and I had a perfect (for me) set up.

The only problem becomes, which set up to use I like them all!!!

USPSA is my primary interest but I shoot a couple different games (USPSA, IDPA, Speed Steel, 3gun) When I start to get bored with one I lower the frequency on that and up the frequency on the others. It keeps me interested and not every weekend is the same.

I've been shooting since I was probably 5 years old, and it never gets old. Even when I go to the range and don't do any shooting, I have a good time just watching. I only got into USPSA recently and it's the most fun I've had with my clothes on, even when I'm getting my ass kicked. I don't see myself ever getting burned out, the only thing getting burned is powder and money!

What works for me is having another non shooting related sport you participate in. I do a lot of mountain biking, just getting into downhill racing.

Taking a break is good to. At least once a year I get a forced break due to injury. Right now I am laid up from an accident which severed my radial artery.

Anything that takes you away from shooting for a bit makes you miss it again.

I shoot as much as I can. When I was younger I never got the chance to shoot anything. The first chance I got to do any shooting was in the Marine Corps. After the Corps I didn't touch a gun until I got my Carry Permit seven years ago and I haven't looked back. I shoot IDPA, USPSA, 3-Gun, and Tactical Rifle. I also go to the range to practice at least once a week. At my age my body is slowing down, but my passion to shot isn't. We have a gentleman that shoots IDPA with us who is 88 years old. I hope I am alive at 88.

I've been shooting since I was probably 5 years old, and it never gets old. Even when I go to the range and don't do any shooting, I have a good time just watching. I only got into USPSA recently and it's the most fun I've had with my clothes on, even when I'm getting my ass kicked. I don't see myself ever getting burned out, the only thing getting burned is powder and money!

nahanshew89.....You've been reading my mail.

I started shooting USPSA about 3 years ago and yes I'm still getting my ass kicked...just not as bad. I've had the opportunity to shoot in three different divisions....Limited 10, Revolver and Production. I shot my first major match last August an won my division in revolver and also won the drawing for a new pistol. Now we're having FUN !!! That may never happen again...but then you never know.

I live in Florida, so shoot 12 months/year. Between local weeknight matches (4 stages) and Monthly matches (6 stages), I shoot 9-10 matches per month (all USPSA).

This year we have major matches in Jan, Feb, April, September, October -2 matches in October, November and December. In addition, my club hosts a Division specific match in any month with a 5th Saturday. Single Stack, or L10-Production, CO/Open.

In other words, I shoot a lot. I'm a little over 4 years into the sport and at the end of the 3rd year, I was getting a little burned out. I shot Single Stack the 1st year, and Limited for the next 2 years. Even the Weekday matches were starting to feel like I HAD to go to them and they weren't as much fun.

I bought an Open gun, and switched to that Division. It was what I needed. I was dryfiring at least an hour 2-3 times per week. I needed to be able to 'find the dot'. The switch was SO refreshing and really got me excited about the sport again, and all the extra practice paid off. Took me from B to A class along the way

Since we shoot these Division specific matches, I can't just put the Open gun down and pickup a Single Stack without some sort of transition period, even if it is 1-2 weeks of dryfire, practicing and weeknight matches. I now attack my 'old' guns with a passion when I switch and continue to improve.

I would HIGHLY suggest to every new shooter that you pick a Division and shoot ONLY that Division for a year at least. I also think that Division should be Single Stack, L10 or Production so you learn how to reload and how break stages down. It will pay off in the long run.

If you switch guns/divisions every couple of months, it will take forever to reach the 10,000 repetitions you need to become mo-betta.

Good Luck and welcome to the insanity!

I started participating in practical shooting competitions in my native United Kingdom in 1982. Aside from some time off for college, I have been at it steadily ever since... that's 34 years. I have always shot year-round. In my mid-late 20s I was really competitive in IPSC handgun at an international-level (took 2nd modified at WSX, 1st Modified in the IPSC European Champs, won the UK title several years running).

After the UK handgun ban I immigrated to the US so I could keep shooting, and now I live in the Phoenix AZ area where I get to shoot against arguably some of the best practical shooters in the world every week. I am older, and time is precious, with work and family commitments meaning I cannot devote as much time and energy to practical shooting as I once did - in particular I get almost no time to practice (live fire or dry fire) and I know my performance is suffering as a result. Then again, I am not sure it bothers me as much as it would have done 20 years ago... I enjoy measuring myself against the best, and still get a buzz from a well-shot stage, but I don't feel I have anything to prove, and am not as invested in the outcome of matches as I used to be. I don't think that is "burning out", just growing up.

I would say that in the last 10 years I have been a lot more focused on 3-Gun than handgun competition; 3-Gun is something I take MUCH more seriously. I am now an MD for our local 3-Gun match, stage designer for one of the majors, and run several ad hoc long-gun matches throughout the year. I also RO at major handgun matches, including IPSC matches abroad. Perhaps it is this variety of guns and challenges that have saved me from losing interest and taking up bass fishing.

My advice would be to stick with it, give it everything you have for a time, but mix it up with other gun sports to keep everything in perspective.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Remind myself of my goals, and the enjoyment that I have with shooting competition. Or ask myself, "what is shooter X doing who beat me last time, right now?"

Burn out is instantly gone for me then.

nahanshew89.....You've been reading my mail.

I started shooting USPSA about 3 years ago and yes I'm still getting my ass kicked...just not as bad. I've had the opportunity to shoot in three different divisions....Limited 10, Revolver and Production. I shot my first major match last August an won my division in revolver and also won the drawing for a new pistol. Now we're having FUN !!! That may never happen again...but then you never know.

Hey, congrats! I have a Limited gun I haven't shot yet and an Open gun on the way.:ph34r:

First major is coming up in October, it's a SS/Prod match, I'll be shooting Prod against Stoeger :surprise:

Don't think I'll be winning any prizes that day, but there's a random drawing for a really nice SS Limcat. It's an object of desire, and I desire it!

My method is this:wife plus kids. It'd be a miracle if I could even get out enough to burn out. As it is twice a month would be pushing it. I got three times in last month (two pistol and trap once) but was told it was ok because it was my birthday. I just tonight had to drop spring league trap because it conflicts w softball for the kids and I was told that "I was the one that told them they could play"

I have a feeling that if I had enough time to shoot so much I'd burn out, the divorce would have taken enough $$ that I'd be at twice a month anyways.

Red

I've burned out on everything I've done before.

Tennis in high school. Billiards and golf in undergrad. I would go nuts and live/breath whatever it was that I was doing. #1 on the HS team. Run several tables. USGA handicap: 5. The total number of times I've played any of these combined since ~1997 is probably less than 30.

Started shooting in 2006 and told myself that I wouldn't follow the same pattern. This is one sport that I want to play for a long time. For the last 6-7 years, I've probably averaged about 6 matches and 6 live fire practice sessions a year. Zero dry fire.

The key for me is shooting/practicing only when I really want to so when I do make it out, I enjoy it much more.

The triangle tactical podcast did a nice couple episodes on burnout the past few months.

Their main point was that burnout happens when your effort being put in does not correlate with the results you are hoping for. You can practice add much as you can for months, and as long as you are seeing the results you are practicing for, then you are not in danger of getting burnt out.

When you put in effort, but don't see the results you are after, then you are more in danger of burn out.

I would say a lot of this is simply expectations. If you just show up at the match for social and fun reasons and never practice, you can probably go a long time without fear of burnout. If you are more results oriented, but don't put in the work; or if you spend a lot of effort, but don't do it in a productive way, then you are in danger of burn out.

Personally I think a big thing is not to struggle with any given skill. Once you get stuck on a plateau, either find help or take a different approach.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I hate to say it this way but "settling for second place" keeps me from burning out.

I shoot a small match every week, a larger club match 2 or 3 times per month, and 3 or 4 major matches each year. I never care if I win or not. I have expectations to finish at a certain place and be beaten by certain shooters. As long as I do that well or better, I am happy and have fun at matches. If I practiced a lot and made it my goal to win everything, I am sure I would burn out in a year or less.

I've been shooting since I was 16. First was archery and I kept it up until my shoulders gave out, about 40 years. My motivation was to shoot a perfect score and to win as many matches as possible. I would practice 6 hours every night and weekend. I worked for an archery range so practice time came easy and cheap.

I picked up a pistol in '74 and started shooting an automatic. I had so much fun I kept shooting eventually adding revolver to my habit. Other then the times I was too ill to shoot I've stayed with it and reloading as a hobby. I forgot whether I shoot to reload or reload to shoot. Both are relaxing to me.

I had to give it all up a few years ago do to illness. Finally I decided I needed a hobby that I enjoyed so I bought a new 929, a Dillon 650 and components. Now I reload a lot, and get to shoot every Friday and SCSA and ICORE matches locally. I'm in a wheelchair and enjoy what I'm doing.

My motivation is to keep improving. I'm never going to be as good as I once was but I can still be the best I can be.

I've only been going to matches on a monthly basis for about two years now. Before that it was maybe one match every other month and a lot of shooting on my own. As my schedule started to pick up I'm shooting 2-3 matches a month between different disciplines and I still find it very enjoyable. Any time I start to feel like I'm working and not having fun I switch things up and change guns or division. Our local club has USPSA, IDPA, SASS, ICORE, and Steel Challenge so we have more matches each month than I can even go to. I shoot almost exclusively revolvers but decided to try Limited this year in USPSA just for fun. I started with the same gun in IDPA ESP many years ago and have hardly shot it the last two years.

Another important thing for me is taking the winter off (when we don't have matches in IN) to focus on individual skills and forget about the whole picture. I shot my 625 in every USPSA, ICORE, and IDPA match last year and it sat untouched for around two months while I played with semi autos and big bore wheel guns. I spent almost a whole month just working on iron sight shooting at 50 and 100 yards and it has greatly improved my consistency in trigger pull and grip. Just keep it fresh and have fun. I shot a speedloader gun for the very first in an IDPA match this month and had a blast even though I was a lot slower with my reloads.

Being an NRA and concealed carry instructor keeps me from burning out. I have to take myself out of the competitive shooter mindset when I'm running a class. For some reason the new shooter excitement keeps me motivated to improve my shooting - that and a wise cracking smart-assed shooting partner.

• 4 weeks later...

Figure out how serious you want to be then put as much time and energy into the sport as you feel is merited by that level of seriousness. Take occasional breaks. I miss a match once in a while because family get-togethers and fun vacations with my wife are more important to me than shooting. But shooting is my main hobby so the effort I put into it is consistent with "main hobby seriousness".

Edited by GunBugBit