Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most popular open class bullets

shooterclay

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and Zero are probably the most popular among the jacketed crowd. MG and PD are direct order from the manufacturer, it seems that zero bullets likes to have you go through their distributors.

If I wasn't using jacketed I'd run coated bullets. For coated you would have to try some different manufacturers to see what works best for you. I'd stay with the 124gr and up weights to keep the velocities down. I've tied some plated bullets but really wasn't happy with my results. I get better results with coated, but much prefer using jacketed.

For a newbie I'd say get some 124 grain MG or PD bullets (cheaper by the case) and run them for a while. You can't go wrong with a good 124 grain bullet load in either 9maj or 38 super.

In getting ready to work up a load using a 125gr bullet, I was talking to my coated bullet supplier and they are finding that until they exceed 1500fps they aren't seeing any leading. I'm a little skeptical but at the price difference it might be worth trying.

The 2 most popular weights are 115gn and 124/125gn. 121gn is also a good option.

Probably the 2 most popular shapes are jhp or round nose.

Most popular are either jacketed or high quality plated (like mg, pd, frontier etc). Then coated then comes the thinner plated stuff in 4th.

Arguably the BEST bullet is the hornady HAP (basically an xtp with no expansion cuts). They make them in 115, 121 and 125gn in 355 and 356. They are amazingly accurate but nearly twice the price of a good quality CMJ or other brand jhp.

Montana gold jhps have a great performance vs price reputation.

MG JHPs also do not have an exposed lead base. The MG CMJs are round nose, completely encased. There is argument that the JHPs are more accurate and they also seem to be the most used. 124gr JHPs are most common in my experience.

I shoot coated in mine, and it doesn't lead my barrel at all, the comp does get some. Just have to clean it a little more. Mine group exceptionally well, under 2" at 25 yards (I'm not a good enough shot to know if they would do better than that either).

::ETA:: That being said, they make more smoke during firing, and I'm considering going to plated bullets for that reason.

Edited by Gooldylocks

Montana Gold (choose your wgt) I like 124 JHP

Blue bullets worked well for me for a season no major problems with lead or blue stuff any where

Bayou's worked as well as Blue's for me also

Haven't been able to get a plated bullets to shoot a group past 25yds regardless of numerous attempts and different

Bullet tensions and crimps so I don't waste my time with them anymore.

Edited by jcc7x7

I've seen coated work fine. Spray some case lube in the comp every other stage or so to cut down on the cleaning and enjoy shooting more for less money. As stated, though, I try to stay below 1500 fps so I use 125 grain BBI, transitioning to ibejiheads for 2016.