Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-8x Scopes?

bigkyle72

Then again, most sponsors have tiers. Some (not all) top shooters switch only to get a bigger check and they struggle through with less than their preferred gear for that check. Then there are sponsored shooters who have promoted gear for a while because they truly believe it is the best. In some cases, companies approach those shooters and offer them sponsorships because they see them as good people promoting their products and want to say thanks. To lump the shooter who is helping out a company they really like and gets some free gear as a thanks with the shooters who are getting paid thousands of dollars to promote a brand due to their marketing potential is a view that is off kilter in most respects.

Right, I'm really only speaking about those people who are officially sponsored by a company. Officially sponsored meaning the company and shooters announce/acknowledge it. I understand it isn't always black or white, there are some gray areas of course. And it is certainly hard enough as it is to know who is really being sponsored when everyone on the range is wearing shirts with logos on them these days. But my point is, when those who are officially being sponsored are online and providing recommendations for said products, they should at least acknowledge as much when making recommendations to others. It would be nice to see that happen more often.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're shaky, 1-8x seems like shooting from a rowboat in high seas. Does it hold zero? After a ride from stupid 3 GN suv in the mud with Becky sitting on your gun. If the the Army doesn't use it, probably not a great three gun scope. It's for hunting.

That's some fine logic. The Army also doesn't use quality barrels, JP parts and any really decent rifle training for the average grunt. We should forego these things to be on the safe side.
There are flaws in both of these statements. As it bears to the OP, I will attempt to correct them. First, these type of optics are being used with in the military(AMU not included). There are some parallels between some activities of a few in the military, and demands of 3gun. Both require lightweight rugged optics. The biggest difference is always going to be operational parameters and extreme environments. That being said both arenas live by whoever shoots the fastest and the bestest wins. Both type of shooters are going to look for the advantage, 1x8 is definitely an advantage. Let's face it the commercial and competition R&D will always be able to out preform military R&D. That being said their will be units that will look to the competitions side to bridge gaps.

3ff49691c9b6760ed5785cee7ba35c8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rangerdug

Does anyone actually know what optic(s) the Army 3-gun team uses?

Besides, everyone knows that 1-10 scopes are the real deal.

I'm waiting for a 0.1-∞ X scope to spend the big bucks.

I'm just hanging out till some of you guys decide to replace your 1-4/ /5/6 scope with a 1-8 so I can find a deal. Oh I'm also learning a little bit along the way.

Pat, I saw this quote the other day...Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon...No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. It is tough, but some things you just have to ignore.

You're right I fall for it too often.

Back on topic. The AMU team uses the best of the best but not all of us can afford that. My approach when someone is asking about an optic or a gun is to ask them what their budget is and then give them my opinion of what is the best at that price point. I am very happy with my 1-8 Primary Arms scope. Its super clear and it came in at 1300.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Pat, I saw this quote the other day...Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon...No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. It is tough, but some things you just have to ignore.

You're right I fall for it too often.

Pat

Haven't we had a conversation about this before Pat?

There's a reason I keep the quote below attached, to remind me not to get sucked in.

Please keep this thread on topic. The OP asked about scopes, not about sponsors. Antagonistic posts are not what we're all about here. You want to talk the talk, use the PM function.

I have been obsessively researching low power scopes and came accross the Minox ZP8 1-8x24 with the MR10+ reticle. I love the features, expecially the combination of FFP reticle and SFP red dot. Unfortunately, there is precious little independent review of this scope. Has anyone seen one in person?

Thanks,

Rasyad

Very cool, thanks. Looking forward to your review. I guess a really new entry into the 1x6 market would be Eotech's Vudu. Coming in August 2016.

Rasyad

Saw it too at SHOT.. Reticle needs work, anxious to see how it works out. FWIW, I am a big fan of the Steiner T5xi 1-5, perfect reticle, great glass!

Well I will be slapping another Primary Arms 1-8 on my three gun rifle to go along with the one on my semi auto precision rifle. I like my Vortex Razor and my Swarovski 1-6 as well but the Primary Arms 1-8 offers some definate advantages. The number one being a very good usable FFP reticle. I can use the same hold overs no matter what power range. I remember my first major match where I had my Swarovksi cranked to 4x instead of 6 x and it messed me up on the stage. Complete human error but it would not have happened with my PA 1-8. I also like the exposed locking turrents so if I want to dial I can easily. It does not usually happen but it can. Say you have a stages with all the long range targets at one range it would be easier to dial it before the stage and then just use the center of the reticle.

Pat