Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-8x Scopes?

bigkyle72

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell would they have non capped turrets?

Not many if any dial for 3gun type targets.

Not good for barrel dumps in 3gun.

I will stay with my 1x6 Vortex Razor.

Had they used something like the Ballistic Plex E1 FFP Varmint reticle (in mils) inside the illuminated circle, I probably would have bought one to check out.

Current reticle, not interested.

Edited by gose

Both reticle designs have bright illumination, daylight bright. The circle did not flare, but the one with just the dot does flare on high. I think after playing with them I am going with the FFP option, which has the center dot.

If you're shaky, 1-8x seems like shooting from a rowboat in high seas. Does it hold zero? After a ride from stupid 3 GN suv in the mud with Becky sitting on your gun. If the the Army doesn't use it, probably not a great three gun scope. It's for hunting.

If you're shaky, 1-8x seems like shooting from a rowboat in high seas. Does it hold zero? After a ride from stupid 3 GN suv in the mud with Becky sitting on your gun. If the the Army doesn't use it, probably not a great three gun scope. It's for hunting.

That's some fine logic. The Army also doesn't use quality barrels, JP parts and any really decent rifle training for the average grunt. We should forego these things to be on the safe side.

I have both 1.5-8 and 1-5 XTRII, used both in 3gun matches. I'm very happy with the pair, the 8x has come in handy shooting sage rats (1/3 size of a prairie dog) out to 200yds.

I haven't dialed beyond 6x in a match yet, but the extra magnification allows me to use the rifle in multiple roles. Personally I don't mind having the exposed knobs, not a huge deal with the zero stop. Love it even more after a 3gunstuff cat tail install.

The shake is always there you just notice it more on higher magnification. Basically it just showing you that you have a problem you need to work on. Also its a tool you don't have to run around with it on 8X for every shot. use the extra magnification when needed. As for the military not using it or using it. Who cares the military has a different set of requirements and a different budget than most of us.

Having a number of people reporting on what a new piece of equipment is bringing to the game is important and useful. I can't afford to go out and buy every new piece that comes along. This gives me the opportunity to narrow the field. If someone like Pat or Mark says it is only OK, I read that as not necessarily worth my time, if they says it is a good piece, I'll look, if they say that it is good for the price, I usually think that it means that it is OK, but I can do better and likely will not be happy with it.

The same goes for shooting advice, there are people that I'll listen to and people I don't. Also there are a lot of newer, less experienced shooters here that do need what to a more experienced shooter sounds like too simple to mention, but is a simple thing that can make a difference to a novice.

Also there is a certain civility that is usually maintained here that keeps things from getting into measuring matches. It is one reason that this forum is so respected. There is little tolerance for discord here.

I've never seen anybody except Jesse hawking shit on this forum. Just kidding Jesse. I have seen a lot of people tell us what their experiences are with products and I appreciate that. That why I am on this forum. And sponsored shooters are supposed to promote there sponsors.

If Pat Kelly or one of Miller brothers tries something and comes on this forum and says that it works or is a good product I listen. And I don't classify anyone who knows more than me as a know it all.

Pat, I saw this quote the other day...Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon...No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. It is tough, but some things you just have to ignore.

I've never seen anybody except Jesse hawking shit on this forum. Just kidding Jesse. I have seen a lot of people tell us what their experiences are with products and I appreciate that. That why I am on this forum. And sponsored shooters are supposed to promote there sponsors.

If Pat Kelly or one of Miller brothers tries something and comes on this forum and says that it works or is a good product I listen. And I don't classify anyone who knows more than me as a know it all.

I think what is sometimes confusing is that some folks who are sponsored shooters, don't always state they are being sponsored by the products they are endorsing. If you are a sponsored shooter, you need to disclose your relationship with the product manufacturer when making comments about said product online or in social media. At least that is my understanding of FTC guidelines on the subject.

And this isn't directed at Jesse, he is quite vocal about who his sponsors.. this is more directed at the ton of sponsored shooters who don't disclose. It would be helpful to see that information.. sponsored by xyz.. in the footer of a post when you are pushing product on this message board. As a consumer one would then be aware that the recommendation being provided is coming from someone who is being paid to promote the product as opposed to another consumer just giving his opinion.

Edited by HeyChris

That does make sense. When you have a shooter who has had 3 rifle/optics sponsors in three years, it is kind of hard to give full validity to their recommendation. When you have a shooter who has been sponsored by the same rifle/optic company for 6 years, that does tend to say something else.

Then again, most sponsors have tiers. Some (not all) top shooters switch only to get a bigger check and they struggle through with less than their preferred gear for that check. Then there are sponsored shooters who have promoted gear for a while because they truly believe it is the best. In some cases, companies approach those shooters and offer them sponsorships because they see them as good people promoting their products and want to say thanks. To lump the shooter who is helping out a company they really like and gets some free gear as a thanks with the shooters who are getting paid thousands of dollars to promote a brand due to their marketing potential is a view that is off kilter in most respects.