Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS magwells

mont1120

I tried the Dawson ice but have struggled getting mags seated (using Dawson extended basepads). If it were a little shorter in length and allowed the mags to stick out a little further I think I'd be more confident in it. Apparently most people don't have this issue... But I can't seem to get past it.

Currently switching to a S&A one piece magwell / MSH to see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you guys that have tried a few and have the old ones in a drawer, I'm looking for a stainless arched msh magwell combo used and relatively cheap.

Also, what do you all think of the dawson msh/magwell that is non-ice? That one is cheap, and I kinda like that it isn't huge yet still funnels up front.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've tried a few different magwells over the years. Started out with the basic S&A msh/magwell combo and still have those on my HD or carry guns. They work pretty good and are compatible with a wide range of magazines.

I currently have two of the Techwells on my current SS guns, the XT IPSC model on my .40 and the SP model on my 9mm. There are pros and cons to everything...

Pros to the XT IPSC: Big honking magwell and thinned down to fit the IPSC box for Classic division (so clearly they fit the box for USPSA). Full wrap around but still retains the gap in front to prevent mag overinsertion. Being aluminum, it is easy to blend to the frame with handtools. Plus they lock onto the frame really well when paired with the Techwell Aluma grips.

Cons to the XT IPSC: Its a tall magwell, so you need mags with a tall basepad (.625"). But I run the Tripp Corey mags which are about as long as you can get and still fit the box, so no issues there. Despite the huge magwell its still a skinny mag into a skinny hole, but the same can be said about any of the 1911 magwells...). The Techwells require prorprietary grips sold by Techwell, or DIY mods to your own grips (which is not hard to do).

As far as the SP models, same pros and cons above except having a smaller funnel you don't need mags with as tall of a basepad (.325" works just fine) and your typical Tripp Cobra or Wilson ETM or 47D works just fine with the SP.

I tried the ICE no-gap for a few short months a few years back. It was OK, but at the time I was using 47D and ETM mags with my .45 and didn't want to buy bigger basepads which is what the ICE requires, even the no-gap, since the funnel is so deep.

Happy hunting.

As I was getting ready to place an order, my Open friends keep hollering to go to .40. Since my Kimber frame either has to be replaced or have a cit made for the bushing, (bull barrel model), I could order a Caspian .40 frame and barrel, and travel that direction. In doing so I assume I would have to buy all new .40 mags.

If I do so, will the .40 mags fit my Kimber 1911 frame, or can I close the feed lips on my existing .45 mags and stay with those? If I have to buy all new mags the cost gets close to buying a whole new pistol. I know I'm one of the dinosaurs but .45 is what I have always used. That extra .05 does find the perforations once in awhile.

.40 mags will fit in your Kimber frame. Some people have made .45 mags work for .40.

When I got back into SS, I chose to go .40 because in the intervening years I shot Limited in .40 and had a ton of components not to mention a nice load that I worked up. However if you're just playing in the one division I don't thing .40 vs .45 amounts to much difference other than maybe a few $$ per 1,000 if you buy components in bulk.

As said by "2more" 45 mags often work with the 40 ammo.

They feed in all my 40's BUT when I drop them with rounds in them which is often in SS due to the reload any time you move

thought! the remaining rounds often pop up through the feed lips. So I went with 40 mags

Some wilson 10mm mags because I load long and a bunch of 10mm Delta Elite mags that I've had forever

Also agree if your going to stick with SS and already shoot 45 stay with it

My splits and no different with a 45 at 172PF than a 40 at 172 PF. Captain Obvious 172 PF is 172 PF seems like!!!

Though its always neat to build a new gun up

good fortune in SS

Have the techwell system with the G 10 grips, work very well except you can not use GI issue type mags with add on basepads the ends of the bottom extensions will hang up after pass through the mag well. Also have the Wilson's. Prefer the techwell but both are good.

I use CMC mags with the screw on base pads in my .45, they do require a small amount of material taken off the front of both the mag and the base pad but a couple of strokes with a file fixed that.

The other option is the open front TGO version that 1911A12011 posted

Edited by terrydoc