Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS magwells

mont1120

S&A for me just because I have never felt like putting the money up for a bigger magwell. Have used them all though and at my level I doubt it is holding me back. Usually you will see the same types of magwells in certain areas. Down here in South Florida they tend to lean towards the Dawson Ice no gap.

Like some others here, I've never felt the need for huge magwells on 1911, and I'd rather have the front opened so I can strip a stuck mag if necessary. I had an Ed Brown. The screw holding the well on the MSH was always working loose. I prefer one piece like the S&A or Wilson, or EGW style if 2-piece. That dovetail is never going to work loose.

As was stated previously no need to buy new magazines. I use my Wilson's (47d, tem) and Tripp 45 mags with zero issues. I load long so they work as well as 10 mms mags. I have not had any issues with rounds popping out the top.

I have pistols with S&A, Dawson ice, and TGO Maxwell's. All are good. I prefer the Dawson IPSC (non ice) and TGO.

JMHO

I use what I believe is the Kimber magwell (I bought it from Sig). It works for me - I spent 20min one day practicing mag changes and they've been pretty smooth since. I wouldn't mind trying the smaller Dawson but what I have seems to work just fine.

If you got a .40 gun, you have the option to carry 10 rounds .40 minor or 8 rounds of .40 major in Single Stack, and 10 rds of .40 major in L10 if it continues.

Since I'm new to Single Stack, (although pondering a 2011 Para), the rule is you can load a total of 10 minor .40 rounds just like 10 9MM rounds?

That would seem to be a fair category for major matches, but I'd almost bet the farm 75% of shooters at local matches where a chrono is not used, most .40 shooters are right at minor or below.

Since I'm new to Single Stack, (although pondering a 2011 Para), the rule is you can load a total of 10 minor .40 rounds just like 10 9MM rounds?

That would seem to be a fair category for major matches, but I'd almost bet the farm 75% of shooters at local matches where a chrono is not used, most .40 shooters are right at minor or below.

I'll take that bet at my local range.

A couple years ago at a local match we included a chrono stage for s&g's, plus there was a Lvl 2 match coming up that same month and wanted to give people a chance to do one last chrono check. I didn't tell people about that ahead of time, but even so not a single person did not make their declared PF.

I am a big fan of the S&A low profile on a 1911. They are solid and really do not stand out. I use both Dawson 10 round and SA 9 Round 9mm mags with no issue seating.

Whatever, watch your overall gun weight. Both of my SA 1911's 9mm with S&A magwells are 42.8 ounces with stock magazine.

I just bought an arched smith and Alexander magwell. I put it on and it solved an extra problem for or me: it has effectively pinned my grip safety! The notch is further in than on my old msh. Now I don't have to wrap tape or rubber bands around the grip to disable it. Sweet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk