Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is CZ the dominate Production choice now?

last match i shot at my club I was the only one with a CZ Shadow ... been that way every since i got mine in Feb 2013. About 6 months ago a young GM who had been shooting a G34 since he started switched to a Shadow but I haven't seen him in a while ..... couldn't tell you why ... maybe it's the salt air ...

I hear what folks say about trends but after shooting a Shadow I can't imagine ever going back to a striker fired gun in Production ....

Edited by Nimitz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Vogel has shot my CZ in the class I took with them. He is definitely familiar with them btw. He just likes what he currently shoots and is very invested in that platform time wise and said he feels no reason to change.

Bob Vogel has shot my CZ in the class I took with them. He is definitely familiar with them btw. He just likes what he currently shoots and is very invested in that platform time wise and said he feels no reason to change.

Slightly cynical, but sponsor money might have a say

I'm at about year three now with USPSA (with two years being grad school so pretty sparse shooting) and I'm seeing a lot more CZ-type pistols (CZ and Tanfo) than when I first started. What I'm hearing is that it used to be pretty rare that you would see them at all and the best I can tell it's a function of these pistols being quality products that have been marketed well. You get some early shooters doing well, they create a buzz, other people start shooting them and your marketing expands informally. So get a quality product into the hands of some good shooters, do some good marketing, and you can get what we're seeing now.

Tanfolio's biggest problem is their supply chain and that hurts them when it comes to competing with the CZs. I see substantially more CZs than Tanfo's. Anytime your product is referred to as a "unicorn gun" you know that you have a strong demand that your supply isn't keeping up with in the end.

Sig is making a big push into the striker fired market with the P320 and that includes focusing in on the action pistol market with their efforts. I'll be curious to see how well it plays out for them. It sounds like they have a quality product, but Glock still has a strong first-mover advantage and Smith and Wesson has been aggressively marketing their product line for a long time when it comes to action pistol also so it's a crowded market.

Glock also has an immense amount of third-party support for their marketing efforts given that everyone seems to make aftermarket goodies for Glocks. So the trick is to convince a shooter that your product is superior enough where you should go with it over the Glock. This isn't Sig's first rodeo so they may very well be able to pull it off.

Sig has an opportunity to get a foothold if they can get people shooting their guns in volume by making both 1) guns that are factory tuned (trigger, sights) and readily available, AND 2) make or help promote some drop in parts avail for tuning the trigger without sending to a gunsmith (like Glock and CZ).

In the mean time, you can get a factory SP-01 Shadow with 3 mags for $869, that needs very little to be competitive. Maybe $20 in springs.

I asked Ben during the last class I took from him why he went to the Stock II vs a Shadow when he decided it was time to change gear and he said that the Stock II simply fit his hands better .... he said the trigger on a Shadow is much better but he could work around that, what he couldn't do anything about was if the frame fit his hand or not and the Shadow didn't ...

Whats the advantage over a glock? Other than maybe it fits some better. Never shot one, and dont plan on getting rid of my glock. Just curious.

The most talked about advantages that are discussed with CZ/Tanfo is:

1) Weight - heavier therefore absorbs recoil better, less felt recoil

2) Frame - all metal so very little flexing

3) Proven Accuracy - The CZC shop states some models will shoot inside of 3" at 50 yards.

4) DA - The DA pull on the custom models is usually lighter and smoother than other Production pistols.

There's probably some more points I'm missing but that's the bulk of it I believe.

Whats the advantage over a glock? Other than maybe it fits some better. Never shot one, and dont plan on getting rid of my glock. Just curious.

I've shot Glocks for over 25 yrs for work and fun, not competition. When I started USPSA about a year ago I started with a Glock. I went to Limited and a STI for a little bit but I was having lots of problems with my elbows, tendonitis turning into cupital tunnel. My Dr said I either needed to quit shooting for a while or find a way to reduce the recoil my joints were absorbing. I tried out a friend's Shadow and now I own two and haven't looked back. It's like shooting a .22 to me and while I'm still getting used to it my DA pull isn't much more than the Glock (5.5#) and smoother and single action on my guns is between 2.5-3#. Since I'm actually wanting to improve this is the best option I've found to shoot comfortably.

Another belief that I have that give a nod to the single/double action guns is I think they stay more reliable after tuning to get the the trigger pull light and smoothed out. More moving parts in the striker fired guns and seem to be more prone to having issues when they're being made into "race guns", atleast from what I've seen. There are, obviously, plenty of nicely tuned striker fired guns out there that work fine.

Another belief that I have that give a nod to the single/double action guns is I think they stay more reliable after tuning to get the the trigger pull light and smoothed out. More moving parts in the striker fired guns and seem to be more prone to having issues when they're being made into "race guns", atleast from what I've seen. There are, obviously, plenty of nicely tuned striker fired guns out there that work fine.

I think this is one of the advantages of hammer fired guns. All of the fire control group is in the frame. Striker fired guns split them between the frame and slide.

My SP-01 double action trigger is lighter than a stock glock trigger.

O'the cycle of production wonderguns. Few years back it was the polymer striker lightweights, g34 and the MP9. Now its its heavyweight DA/SA guns, SP01 and Stock 2's. I am confident we will return cycle back within a few years.

I doubt this. The reason for the switch from striker to CZ Style DA/SA is that you now have the ability to get a reasonable trigger from either a good gunsmith or with good aftermarket parts and DIY. Back when striker fired was all the rage there was no Shadow. Angus was able to make that happen. There was also no real aftermarket parts. Now you have CZ Custom, Cajun Gunworks and Automatic Accuracy turning out excellent guns and superior parts. I do not see the Sig making major head way. People will buy it becasue it is the new thing and becasue a GM shoots it. I few will like it better in the hand. I do not see a quantifiable advantage to he P320 over the CZ style. The best you could say it has a better out box trigger but who cares about the out of box trigger. Its just another striker fired gun like a Glock and M&P. I could be wrong but the market will decide.

Well, perhaps we can say the pistol you shoot makes less difference than the amount (and quality) of your practice. CZ/STI/etc. isn't the be-all-end-all of competition, skill is. (That said, shoot the gun that you like most!)

Edited by teros135