Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acceptable or not?

zimm33

I just received my second custom build and was surprised by the machining / marks.

What do you guys think? Is this acceptable on a $3400 gun?

Maybe I'm just being anal. The marks stand out more in person than in phone pics.

My first build with a different builder was cheaper and had perfect machine work... but maybe that was a rarity?

post-30932-0-57871200-1423370643_thumb.j

post-30932-0-90728200-1423370659_thumb.j

post-30932-0-15003400-1423399618_thumb.j

Edited by zimm33

I don't if it is acceptable or not as I am no gunsmith but what I do to my pistol. I am a machinist though. When cutting metal with the proper sharp tools it will still leave tool marks but should be easily polished out.

The rear right of the slide looks like had cutter or fixture issues and something moved. The ding on the recoil spring tunnel looks like an "oops!" to me. I wouldn't let either leave the shop, especially on a full custom build. MAYBE if the customer was in a huge rush for a match, but I would probably ask them to shoot it un-coated and then bring it back.

Personally, I wouldn't have accepted that work. A machinist who takes pride in his work should/would take the time and polish out the machining marks like those. For $3400, I would expect nothing less.

Look at it this way. If this gun had been sitting on a shelf in a gun shop, would you buy it in this condition for the price they were asking?

Not! You are not being anal. $800 production guns are finished better than that. I'd send it back and tell him to fix it or refund your money. I would also inspect the internals. Everything is now suspect.

Yeah, those slide marks looks like they mounted it incorrectly or used a jig that caused it. That nick shouldn't be there either. That could have come from the maker but they shouldn't have used it or at least polished or radiused it out. Is it still in the white or is that chrome?

Those slide marks are really bad. Give them a chance to make it right. If they don't I would make it known who they are. But first give them a chance. $3400 is a lot of money but there are plenty out there that cost more. I wouldn't use the cost to build a case with the builder. Like others have said, you won't find those marks on a Glock.

There is one very well known builder whose guns are far from refined when it comes to machine work but his guns are popular and run very well. Your gun is on par with what I have seen out of his shop. That being said, i would want it to look better.

Those slide marks are really bad. Give them a chance to make it right. If they don't I would make it known who they are. But first give them a chance. $3400 is a lot of money but there are plenty out there that cost more. I wouldn't use the cost to build a case with the builder. Like others have said, you won't find those marks on a Glock.

I don't understand why any one would let sup par work leave there shop. This gun will been seen by many at matches questions will be asked about the builder. That gun is a business card in every sense.

Sarge he can't out any body on this board cause if he does the thread will get nuked. Nothing negative now. :roflol:

I took it out today and it ran perfectly. Yes it is already hard chromed. I can live with the blemishes but just wanted to understand from the masses if I should. Sounds like DBTN knows who this is and this may be usual for their shop. I just wish I would have known that as I never saw anything to that measure reading through this site and I was very close between two builders.

I'll call them this week to discuss. They are on the forum here so I would imagine they would want to remedy rather than me posting a "Look at my new custom gun!" In the gallery..

Edited by zimm33

Update! The builder quickly responded through here last night that he has been out on medical leave and this was somehow allowed to slip through. Offered full refund or fix and refinish.

I probably "jumped the gun" with this post.

One addressed I will be a completely happy customer.

Thanks to the large majority that helped me see I was not being overly critical. Yes the gun will get marked up, but no reason it should start out like it did.