Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take you?

rowdyb

To reach my shooting goal? I've been there for a couple years.

I'm blessed to attend major matches of my choosing, in the company of great friends, while celebrating our 2nd Amendment rights with the sound of Freedom.

Don't overlook the forest while starring down a tree.

Pretty much everything listed: time, money and more support from the wife. It would probably also help for whatever issues in my left hand/wrist would go away. Not really an issue with pistol shooting but is a big problem in prone with a rifle with the hand that is supporting the rifle(I shoot NRA/CMP highpower rifle). It makes being comfortable and able to relax for 20 minutes in the prone slow fire next to impossible when it feels like I am being tortured. As far as USPSA/IDPA type shooting goes, haivng a range that wasn't static/square would be a big help as well for live fire practice. Another bonus would be not having the closest USPSA match 2.5 hours from the house with no traffic and probably 3-3.5 hours with traffic in the summer, this one goes back to time and happy wife(longer I am gone from home the more reluctant she is to let me out for a whole day to shoot). Too bad the club I am a member that is 10 min from my house doesn't hold USPSA matches anymore no idea when they quit but back at one time they had IPSC Nationals there(I think 1981), cant see that happening ever again since the whole range is surrounded by a neighborhood now.

Edited by Fordfan485

For me is the conscious decision to obtain a goal. Without deciding up front that a particular goal is a worth while endeavor it will not happen. If you define a goal and truly make the decision to achieve it then you will make it happen. There will always be the ebb and flow of your time, money, and resources that can leveraged in achieving your goal. If you have decided to do it, it will get done within your bounds.

There are a lot of competitors who want to get better but never take the fundamental first step of defining hard goals and deciding to "Embracing the SUCK" until the goal is achieved. This does not only apply to shooting skills either. Its a pretty universal issue that can applied to just about any competitive hobby or sport. There are a crap ton of competitors out there that "Hope" that one day they will get better with enough random unfocused practice or the skills fairy will show up one day and magically take their skills to the next level without decisive focused effort on their part. It doesn't happen that way.

^ True that. I've burnt a lot of ammo before realizing that just pulling a trigger doesn't equal useful practice. Without clearly defined goals and some kind of focused curriculum designed to help you achieve said goals your just wasting money.

To reach my shooting goal? I've been there for a couple years.

I'm blessed to attend major matches of my choosing, in the company of great friends, while celebrating our 2nd Amendment rights with the sound of Freedom.

Don't overlook the forest while starring down a tree.

Very cool! This sport is too expensive if you are not enjoying it.

Edited by bmiller

What would it take you to reach your dream goal in shooting sports? And, yes I am asking seriously.

Do you need more confidence? Time? Ammo? Instruction? Hand eye coordination? Belief you could reach your goal? Money? A supportive spouse?

- Time, ammo and confidence!

Time, then instruction. I'll be forever a C until then. But with two little boys that I don't get to spend enough time with, shooting will always have to take second priority to family. Till the boys are old enough/responsible enough to join in, I'll just keep shooting one match a month for the fun of it. Getting some instruction this Spring will be fun too, and it might prevent me from getting locked into bad habits.

What would it take you to reach your dream goal in shooting sports? And, yes I am asking seriously.

Do you need more confidence? Time? Ammo? Instruction? Hand eye coordination? Belief you could reach your goal? Money? A supportive spouse?

At my current time and situation I would say ammo and instructions, preferable from a world class shooter. In the absence of an instructor, I've downloaded an app called PractiDeck that has a variety of drills I can work with at my home range. Money does end up becoming a problem with travel, hotel, rental car, and match fee's adding up. Reward points help but it takes a lot to build up to it.

I've got a 50yd deep range bay in my back yard, I can step back to 210 yards if I want, easy going neighbors, 12 10" hanging plates, a plate rack, a couple clay throwers activated by hitting other targets, a 1/3 ipsc target bolted to a trolley that rides down an angled cable after being activated by another target, 4 semi portable barriers with port holes at different heights and all the paper plates I can steal from the kitchen to staple to sticks and arrange as desired. I would say I'm set as far as practice venues go and I can shoot whenever I want, even well after dark if I feel like it. Now I just need a LOT more ammo (or just the necessary money to buy it). If I had that I like to think there would be nothing stopping me from reaching my goals.

Can I come over your house? I'll trade you ammo for time. My local range has put in a few specific rules to keep me from practicing like I used to. Like what's dangerous about practicing like Tom Knapp? Or setting up a popper with flying clays?

I agree, I have all three as well which is probably one reason I continue to get a little better every day .... Flex said it best however ... you have to actually decide you're going to do what it takes to reach your goal.

I started this sport at age 52 (3 years ago) and set a couple of ultimate goals for myself. When am I going to reach them? I have no idea but I know I will reach them because I have truly decided that I will ....without that crucial step all the time, money & energy in the world means nothing.

Remember: Never give up, never surrender!

Remember: Never give up, never surrender!

Unless you really feel like it. lol.

I'm in a similar spot to you (I can make sufficient time and money and I have sufficient energy), except that instead of long-term goals (like making GM), I have focused on shorter term goals, like getting better each month, and making the next class this year). I'm pretty much going to keep getting better as long as I enjoy doing it.

Honestly, I don't think it really takes all that much time, money or energy to train at shooting. It's a breeze in all three areas compared to racing bicycles or motorcycles, or chasing women. But if you don't enjoy spending that time and money and energy on shooting, why do it?

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely ... prior to picking up a gun i was heavily involved in offshore fishing, including writing feaures for a national magazine. a typical day started at 4am and ended at 6pm for just one day, plus spending up to several hundred dollars. compared to that, training 3x/week plus dry fire is a piece of cake ...