Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoes for IDPA

Charbonneau482

I've posted on a few facebook groups but I wanted some input from this forum. I picked up a set of the Salomon Speedcross shoes since my Merrels are just about shot. Has anyone had issues wearing them for IDPA? They aren't really sports cleats IMO but I'm not sure if anyone has had problems with the aggressive tread and match rules.

Wore Merrells for years,then went to the speed cross last year and never looked back.. But beware,they can and will get you a cover PE because the SO will tell you where your foot was when you released the shot.. Lol don't ask how I know ...

I wasn't aware IDPA had rules on allowable footwear also ???

But, then I've never shot an IDPA match and never will !!!

Then why are you posting in the IDPA area???

I have shot both sports and, while I've taken leave from USPSA, I do plan on shooting some USPSA local matches later this year. That means that I am more than vaguely familiar with the rules in both sports. By having that familiarity it makes it a little more credable to cross critique. If someone hasn't shot a sport and is commenting about it's rules it's criticism that rings more hollow than someone criticizing from within. They are certainly free to comment, but is the comment just opinionated or opinionated due to a more than passing familiarity? That's for each reader/poster to decide. Tango Charlie out!!!!!

I've posted on a few facebook groups but I wanted some input from this forum. I picked up a set of the Salomon Speedcross shoes since my Merrels are just about shot. Has anyone had issues wearing them for IDPA? They aren't really sports cleats IMO but I'm not sure if anyone has had problems with the aggressive tread and match rules.

You'll be fine by the rules, but who knows what kind of SO you will get......

Hello: I have shot IDPA matches including a state match with Speedcross 3's and they told me they are good. I even asked before the match started. They told me as long as they don't have hard spikes you are good. The Speedcross work better on wet wood. I learned that one the hard way with football cleats at a USPSA match. Thanks, Eric

I thought Trail Running was a sport. No? One of those rules that....well never mind.

Take Care

Bob

Orienteering is a sport, so does that mean that any hiking shoe that could be worn in orienteering competition is illegal in IDPA?

Maybe IDPA should try ruling on what is legal footwear, and we can all shop from an approved list of shoes......

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Trail Running was a sport. No? One of those rules that....well never mind.

Take Care

Bob

Orienteering is a sport, so does that mean that any hiking shoe that could be worn in orienteering competition is illegal in IDPA?

Maybe IDPA should try ruling on what is legal footwear, and we can all shop from an approved list of shoes......

Would we need five lists, one for each Division eg White laces in SSP, Blue laces allowed in ESP Division IF they have white flecks intwined in the lace otherwise Blue only allowed in CDP Division.....

What does the current rule book say about competition shoes and go from there?

Bob

Bob

Yeah, why don't we do that?:

"Cleated shoes designed for specific sports (i.e., football, baseball, golf, etc.) may not be worn"

Do I need to point out that it mentions NOTHING about "competition" shoes? It only refers to CLEATED shoes. The shoes being discussed here have nothing in common with cleats designed for specific sports. If they do, then a pair of hikers are illegal too.

Quit making shit up, please

Bob

"Cleated shoes designed for specific sports (i.e., football, baseball, golf, etc.) may not be worn"

Do I need to point out that it mentions NOTHING about "competition" shoes? It only refers to CLEATED shoes. The shoes being discussed here have nothing in common with cleats designed for specific sports. If they do, then a pair of hikers are illegal too.

Have you seen some of the rubber cleats on some of the trail shoes. Nobody is making anything up. What do you think "Cleated" Shoes are? The rule is poor;y written. If you care to look you will find football cleated shoes designed for artificial turf not much different from any number of hiking shoes. Try to keep your potty mouth comments to yourself you write like a spoiled two year old. or one who hasn't gone to school long. You did say please though

so your mommy got something through to you.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

Bob

Have you seen some of the rubber cleats on some of the trail shoes. Nobody is making anything up. What do you think "Cleated" Shoes are? The rule is poor;y written. If you care to look you will find football cleated shoes designed for artificial turf not much different from any number of hiking shoes. Try to keep your potty mouth comments to yourself you write like a spoiled two year old. or one who hasn't gone to school long. You did say please though

so your mommy got something through to you.

Take Care

Bob

Shoe sole check now? GMAB The rule doesn't need to be re-written. It needs to be gone.

I can see how the Accu-Shadow debacle came to be........

• 2 weeks later...

Don't wear shoes in IDPA they aren't tactical. You must wear boots with tactical in the name or the manufacture.. aka 5.11 tactical or adidas GSG9 ( because it sounds tactical)

lol. that said. i wear hiking shoes almost every day. they are very grippy Columbia sports wear i believe. .... Kind of have to look at SOME idpa matches like cowboy action.. have to dress the part or nobody likes you. Myself and another good shooter showed up at a range one night to practice ( in michigan) ... me in shorts and sandals him in flip flops... had our gear said. Hell lets shoot it. sign up, shoot the match then get told how we are unsafe and that our footwear was inappropriate. I laughed told the old guy I am from WV... these are shoes in WV I bought them so i could go in restaurants in the fancy city.

Don't wear shoes in IDPA they aren't tactical. You must wear boots with tactical in the name or the manufacture.. aka 5.11 tactical or adidas GSG9 ( because it sounds tactical)

LOL

Wearing non-tactical shoes will get you killed in the street

I wear my Solomon Speedcross 3s to shoot both IDPA and USPSA as well as 3 gun. Never any issues as far as the rules in any sport but the extra traction is a huge advantage. After a slip at the FNH 3 gun match last year wearing boots I went to the Solomons after my team mate and others using them and will never go back.

I looked up trail running to see if it is a sport with any specified foot ware requirements. I don't think so, but I lost interest in my original research when I saw that trail runners sometimes attach "crampons". What???!!!

Be my guest. Go to the next IDPA match and tell them you are wearing crampons. Do you think renaming these things might be in order?

It looks to me like crampons might be better suited to the woosies in USPSA that need a red dot sight to hit anything. Just my $0.02.

Why do we have this continual bashing of various shooting "sports". It makes shooters look like the rednecks some people portray us as being. If you don't like IDPA don't participate. If you think firing off ammunition as rapidly as possible with a non-machine gun tool that you can't possibly carry everyday is ridiculous than don't participate in USPSA. This trashing seems self defeating to me.