Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting my pro-match .40 in limited a little. It's got a egw sear and guncrafter flat trigger, but that is about it. Runs 100% with mbx extreme mags. I have noticed it keyholes when i run extreme plated bullets through it.(ammo runs fine in other .40's). Only issue I've ran into.

Morning All,

Another STI mag question.

I reached out to MBX yesterday about their 170 STI .40 mag to see about the compatibility of it and a Ultra Match ( 51738 ) . They stated that NO it would not work but have seen multiple posts here stating that the STI / RIA combination will work. Is this just a case of having to replace the mag catch or something else, anyone able to shed some light on this ?

I have been running STI from day 1, no issues, so I can not imagine why MBX will not work, I know others who run both in the STI pistols with no issue. I will ask my buddy to try one of his MBX in my Pro Match, will let you know what happens?

• 2 weeks later...

From the Armscor website:

" Like all Rock Island 1911s, this series is built with 4140 Ordnance steel and refined by our carefully managed hand fitting process. "

What is 4140 Ordnance Steel?

" 4140, also known as ordnance steel,  was one of the early high-alloy steels, used in 1920s’ aircraft frames and automotive axles in addition to rifle barrels. It has about 1 percent chromium, 0.25 percent molybdenum, 0.4 percent carbon, 1 percent manganese, around 0.2 percent silicon and no more than 0.035 percent phosphorus and no more than 0.04 percent sulphur. That leaves most of it, 94.25 percent, iron.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/ar-15/guide-to-gun-metal/#ixzz4IqO85NSo "

On 8/20/2016 at 4:32 PM, Quadrant said:

I to have run STI Mags out of my Pro Match .40 with no problem from day 1.  I use the MBX's out of the Tac Ultra HC 9mm (51679) as the STI do not fit "my" gun.

Are you running the MBX Para or MBX STi magazine in your 9mm? OEM mags had poor geometry and would nosedive for me. STi mags require sanding, cutting, and fitting.

6 minutes ago, CarlB86 said:

Are you running the MBX Para or MBX STi magazine in your 9mm? OEM mags had poor geometry and would nosedive for me. STi mags require sanding, cutting, and fitting.

I'm running the MBX Para's.  I would have to perform major surgery to get the 9mm STI to work.  The MBX's were problematic as well.  My Tac Ultra HC 9mm (51679) is difficult.  Apparently the specs for these (the 51679) may differ from gun to gun.  Adrian at MBX was great to work with. 

The only reason I went away from the Mecgar (with the Dawson basepad) was  I replaced the stock magwell with  a Taylor Freelance "Fattie".