Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all can't tell me this isn't damn sexy!

2011%20RIA%20with%20Dawson_zpsabsamfhe.j

Factory ACT mags from Greg Cote, Dawson Extensions with Arredondo Springs & Inserts followers from Shooters Connection. Just put them together this morning, going to test the mags this afternoon along with some load development.

Edited by SCTaylor

Y'all can't tell me this isn't damn sexy!

2011%20RIA%20with%20Dawson_zpsabsamfhe.j

Factory ACT mags from Greg Cote, Dawson Extensions with Arredondo Springs & Inserts from Shooters Connection. Just put them together this morning, going to test the mags this afternoon along with some load development.

How did they run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran pretty damn good, put 102 rounds thru them last night. The mags hold 19 now but should relax the springs to fit 20, as is they are 19 reloadable. I did not "tune" the mags at all, they fed just fine but had a few random slide lock with rounds in the mag. I'll wind up following Brazos' tutorial to modify the slide stop.

1.185" with a 180gr Xtreme Plated and 5.0gr of WST is really good but 4.8 is SWEET. Unfortunately did not get to run the chrono but based on my research 5.0 is a major PF load.

​Edit to add - Get the Arredondo or similar followers. The stockers are junk, hard to load and really jack with the pre-mature slide locking.

Edited by SCTaylor

Debob - Have you loaded the mags and let them sit for a few days? I loaded mine up yesterday morning, then they sat in the range bag all day. It seemed to help a little. Which reminds me, I need to load them up again tonight.

Ran pretty damn good, put 102 rounds thru them last night. The mags hold 19 now but should relax the springs to fit 20, as is they are 19 reloadable. I did not "tune" the mags at all, they fed just fine but had a few random slide lock with rounds in the mag. I'll wind up following Brazos' tutorial to modify the slide stop

For my .40 I'm using ACT mags, Dawson bases, Taran springs and follower, no inserts (9mm needs the Arredondo insert though)

Once the springs set I can get 21 reloadable

I don't work in a gun store, but I've sold five or six of them when I loaned them to other shooters at the ranges I go to. And they really help getting those last few rounds into the 33 round Glock mags I used to have.

What are you guys running recoil spring as far as pounds go. Also wanting to find out about the mag release replacement. This was the only thing I found on Dawson's website and was just a couple of digits off from the one posted by tomjerry1 "511-1044 but I see 511-1042

https://dawsonprecision.com/mag-release-para-hicap-serrated-steel-by-gun-craft/

I am looking at installing a Nitro Fin on mine. Any one done that yet? I shoot a lot of USPSA with mine and it runs great, really love the MBX magazines, yes I know they are pricey and I also have a couple Dawson ones, but the MBX ones run really nice.

Tom - 51782. It is the older model, it does not show up on Armscor's website anymore. It is very similar to the current 51738 except for the rail, checkered front strap, and the rear site is a little different.

Nitro Fin

black_1b846f9d-117a-4d49-ab12-8a3ee9174b

https://cpwsa.com/products/nitro-fin-thumbrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SCTaylor

Well , I used mine in its first 3gun match today. Let's just say it's performance was less than stellar. I ended up calling it a day half way through the shoot . Too many failures to extract. The slide would come all the way back and then forward to try and strip anotherround from the mag only to be stopped by the empty case still in the chamber causing a jam. When time counts , that blows your day. Because I will be asked I was running 125gr RN

@ tomjerry1 The pic that SCTaylor posted is what I have on my Pro Match .40 .... To clear things up the grinding was on the Nitro Fin to make it fit and not on the gun it's self. The Nitro Fin is made longer something like an 1/8 " longer than stock this may be so you can fit it to your needs. As a side note the black is stainless steel under the coating

Edited by WmKerle