Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, dogtired said:

How much mag hangs out with the baseplate removed?  Or, how about a pic of the rear of the mag inserted.

More than a quarter of an inch.  I have a couple of pictures.  Maybe I can get them small enough to post after I get home from work.

A stronger recoil spring has improved feeding in my unramped Target model, at least with pointy FMJ's.  A 12lb spring fed 100% from all 5 Remington mags with exception of locking back on the last round.  That is just the follower.

The 12lb spring is a bit too much for light loads.  Brass trickled out and more than once landed on my hand.  The 10lb spring didn't eliminate my failures to return to battery.  I will have to order an 11lb spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up an RIA 51679 and have started down the road of trying to figure out magazines with the somewhat loose manufacturing tolerances that these guns are known for.

I bought this basepad Basepad HiCap for Para Extended Tool-less Design by Dawson Precision
This insert Basepad Insert for Arredondo Para HiCap Basepads by Arredondo

And this spring Arredondo Extended Mag Spring For Para HiCap

The basepad and insert work, I did have to do a small amount of trimming on the insert, but the extended spring does not work with the factory follower.  The closed loop at the top of the spring is way too small to fit the follower.  I installed the basepad and insert with the stock spring and follower and it seems to be working fine hand cycling.  I can get 20rds in the mag, but it won't lock into place with 20rds if the slide isn't locked back, it inserts just fine with 19rds on a closed slide though.  The mag also drops free perfectly empty or loaded.  I'll be shooting it tomorrow, so we'll see how it functions.

Edit: I added a few pics.  You can see where the basepad slightly rubs on the magwell.  A little filing or a quick hit of the Dremel would probably take care of that.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Edited by 1981Shooter
Added pics

I would say you do not need the basepad insert.  The reason they were invented was because Para did not extend the ribs to the bottom of the mag and the insert stopped the rounds from getting sideways.  The STI for Para mags had the rib all the way to the bottom like those do, did not require the insert.  On my mags that I can skip the insert I can get 21 in. (some of them, not all of them)

IMG_9125.JPG

Edited by dogtired

12 minutes ago, dogtired said:

I would say you do not need the basepad insert.  The reason they were invented was because Para did not extend the ribs to the bottom of the mag and the insert stopped the rounds from getting sideways.  The STI for Para mags had the rib all the way to the bottom like those do, did not require the insert.  On my mags that I can skip the insert I can get 21 in. (some of them, not all of them)

I tried it without the insert and the follower jammed at the bottom.

Just found out that my example of the TCM Target will accept unmodified STI mags.  They all fit and drop free.  If it was just a little more accurate with the 9mm barrel it would be a great gun.  That and it only feeds certain pointy FMJ's.

That leaves me in a tough spot.  Should l accept it's limitations, or send it down the road?  Would calling Armscor be justified?

I got to shoot my new Rock Island 9mm today and it shot great.  I was just plinking in between 3 Gun stages, so I didn't get to shoot it for groups, but the sights seemed pretty close.  Unfortunately the factory magazine with Dawson extension, Arredondo insert, factory spring, and factory follower didn't work too well.  If I loaded it to capacity, 20 rounds, I'd get 4-6 rounds off and then start having FTE's and/or double feeds.  It cycled factory ammo and my reloads that are tuned for my G34 fine though.  I need to get the Arredondo follower and try that out with the extended spring that I already have that didn't fit with the factory follower.