Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

For the people who swapped out the mag release for the Gun Craft extended. Mine feels really gritty and stuff, what about y'alls? Did y'all cut a coil and try again and smooth some of the edges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I scanned through the thread, but am unsure.

I bought a used RIA 51782 .40, previous owner opened the mag well up and gave me three MecGar Para 16-40 mags w/ filed Dawson extended basepads that all drop free. I picked up another MG mag and Dawson pad, and some Arredondo springs/followers.

I can't seem to get this new mag tube to drop free with any combo of parts without having to shake the gun or tap the empty mag to get it started. The Dawson pad isn't hitting (confirmed by using a that pad on mags 1-3, and using pads 1-3 on mag 4), I don't think the spring/follower is doing it (again, mags 1-3 drop with Arredondo parts, mag 4 doesn't with guts from 1-3), and the external dims mic out to the same for me, within like 0.001" which to me is just a function of how hard I squeeze the calipers or how square they are on the mag.

Previous owner said he didn't think he did anything special besides filing the Dawson pad until it fit in the mag well, and insert/drop them a bunch.

Any ideas? Should I sand the outside of the tube with 400 grit? Or just insert/pull it a few hundred times? It doesn't look like the mag catch slot needs to be modified at all. This is my first 2011 and first experience with finicky competition type magazines -- I come from the Glock world.

color/paint/lube the mag body with a silver sharpie (assuming the mag tube is black/blue) insert & remove a handful of times. At that point you'll see where the mag is rubbing. Checkout Atlas Gunworks on Youtube, he has a mag tuning video for this exact situation.

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

color/paint/lube the mag body with a silver sharpie (assuming the mag tube is black/blue) insert & remove a handful of times. At that point you'll see where the mag is rubbing. Checkout Atlas Gunworks on Youtube, he has a mag tuning video for this exact situation.

Thanks, will try this tonight. 

Got the mag dropping free now. I needed to open the mag catch slot a hair, and do some hammer tuning around the shoulder.

Just an FYI, the CompTac International for a Springfield TRP full rail does not fit the RIA double stacks,

Also, the trigger guard must be about 0.6mm wider than a STI/SVI, because I needed to file that much off the delrin block on theSTI/SVI Ghost 'The One' race holster I bought.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of information in this thread and I felt like I had to read a ton of posts to piece together some information on my recently purchased RIA 51738 (Edge clone type model) to make an informed decision regarding reliable magazines.  Just wanted to do a quick re-cap to possibly save people the time and effort of reading all the posts I had to go through in this thread and a couple others.

-The first route where you don't have to mess with anything regarding magazines on this 40 S&W model seems to be to buy the MBX magazines for Para/Armscor.  At $130 a piece, that quickly becomes a chunk of pocket change, though a reportedly reliable option.  Not a bad choice, but it didn't make sense to me.  Seemed silly to buy a "budget" competition gun and then buy a bunch of super expensive magazines.

-The second reliable route seems to be using STI mags, which may or may not work with your factory magazine release, and also becomes expensive fast once you get into tuning and replacing base plates, followers, etc.  This was my first inclination.  My reasoning was that even though it would ultimately be almost as expensive as the first option, these were magazines that could later be used in any other STI platform if I were to upgrade.  Ultimately, I went with the cheaper option to keep some extra money in the budget for any changes/upgrades needed on the firearm itself.

-The third route is basically buying a factory magazine tube and using some form of base plate and follower combination that is reliable.  This is the route I took, though it seems like some people's luck has been hit or miss depending on what parts they settled on.  I ended up using the ACT P16 magazines from Greg Cote ($22), Taran Tactical Universal STI/SVI Follower ($10), matching Taran Tactical 140mm Spring ($9), and Dawson Precision base plate for Para HiCap ($35) for a total cost of $76/magazine with a 21 round re-loadable capacity.  They have been very reliable so far.  I did file the protrusion that engages the slide stop off on the follower to improve reliability.  Prior to doing so, the mags would occasionally not drop free and it seemed like it was sometimes causing binding within the tube.  They seem to be functioning very well now.  I've had about 2 failures in roughly 400 rounds, both of which were with my 170PF reloads.  Factory loads have been 100%.  Thinking that a lighter recoil spring will probably increase reliability with my reloads to 100%.

-I also changed the factory magwell out to the larger Taylor Freelance "Fattie" and it works well with my chosen magazine setup with no modifications.

-Got a Ghost "The One" holster for 1911 & Clones, and it seems to fit great.

I wanted an Edge, but decided to go with the "budget" option for now and am not disappointed since I went into it with the realistic expectation that it would require at least a little bit of work.  Have another buddy that wanted an Edge, and has the money for it, that shot the RIA 51738 once and then promptly tried to buy it off of me when he realized that it's hard to find in stock and is really good "bang for the buck".

Happy shooting!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:26 PM, noexcuses said:

Looking at the 51687 FS HC 9mm combo. What magwell and mags will work on this? MBX, STI ? looking for 140 and 170 mags. Thanks

The Taylor Freelance mag well is not a direct fit. Looks like I will have to take some metal off the bottom of the frame to make this work. Right around .180", Robin Taylor said that he would buy the mag well back if it did not fit but I am going to make this work. I got a 140mm MBX and it works fine, although this thing does not like JHP's with the un ramped barrel. Not a big deal as I am going to be swapping to a ramped and threaded barrel. Installed a Wilson ambi thumb safety, took a bit to get it to fit as I had never done one before. Had to study on it for a little bit.

I've seen that gun before... you did the "will it fit" videos, right?

LOL! I didn't think anyone watched those videos. I try to make videos of stuff I can't find answers to on YouTube or Google. Kinda got lazy making more as those videos take some time to create even one as simple as mine would take 2 hours to completely get up and running on YouTube.

14 hours ago, carlspeed said:

How bad is the gun stock? Still fun?

I have been shooting one of mine completely stock (40 limited)  The trigger is not as good as my others but works just fine.