Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the spring plugs the same on these as any other 1911?

Yep, Full length guide rod.

Unless you swap out and install a GI style rod and plug like I did to 1: shave weight and 2: the FLRG plug is a PITA without a bushing wrench.

Do you then have to have the bushing fitted for that slide then? I'm pondering getting one of these and vastly prefer GI guide rods.

I guess you can... I just picked up a solid GI rod and plug from Brownells. No issues with fitting.

Do you then have to have the bushing fitted for that slide then? I'm pondering getting one of these and vastly prefer GI guide rods.

You don't have to change the bushing to go from a FLGR to a GI style. The half moon cut on the bottom of the bushing should be more than generous for either recoil plug.

Just picked up one in 40! It's the old 51782 with the rail but dang it, I'm excited.

Found a good deal on 140mm STI mags, $67 each. Not sure if I want to go that route or factory mags & extensions...

I am using my sti 140mm mags. They run great.

40 or 9? What capacity? I want to get max capacity of ~20 in 40 whichever way is most economical and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the general consensus on these? For the people that own an STI how does it stack up? Coming from a Glock the 1911/2011 platform is new to me. Was wondering if I could save $1000 on the STI by going with this. Looking for someone's honest opinion on how accurate it is. From my understand the ejector is the weak point. I see that Hayes custom guns offers a "reliability package". I just want something that will shoot and not leave me disappointed.

I have a dvc as well. You can't compare it to the ria, but its $2500. I have both in 40. My sti mags run it the ria and they hold 20 rds. I replaced my front sight with a .200. The one it came with was too short. I also got a good price on an aftec, so I installed one just like I use in my sti. I have over 500 rds thru it now and it seems reliable. I want to shoot some more to be 100% sure. I wish ria hadn't shortened the grip for the para mags. I like the sti grip better. I still havn't decided on a taylor freelance magwell yet. The one on the gun works fine, I just don't like that the mags are below the magwell because they shortened the grip slightly. The gun weighs @ 1 lb more than my dvc. I was wondering if anyone has lightened the slide on theirs ? It now has a little movement with the slide frame fit and the barrel moves slightly. It seems just as accurate as the sti but on a rest the sti is probably tighter. I still have only @ $900 in it. For the money its a good choice. I may get to where I shoot it over the sti, but not yet.

What is the general consensus on these? For the people that own an STI how does it stack up? Coming from a Glock the 1911/2011 platform is new to me. Was wondering if I could save $1000 on the STI by going with this. Looking for someone's honest opinion on how accurate it is. From my understand the ejector is the weak point. I see that Hayes custom guns offers a "reliability package". I just want something that will shoot and not leave me disappointed.

I just picked a Ultra Match up. Ran it like a rented mule for 100 or so rounds, American Eagle 180gr, and it felt good and was reliable. I know 100 reds isn't that much but it was a hard 100.

I'm in Oxford and will be at the CMP USPSA matches feel free to shoot mine if your there.

I just picked a Ultra Match up. Ran it like a rented mule for 100 or so rounds, American Eagle 180gr, and it felt good and was reliable. I know 100 reds isn't that much but it was a hard 100.

I'm in Oxford and will be at the CMP USPSA matches feel free to shoot mine if your there.

Excellent, I pretty much only shoot at CMP so I'd love to try. I have tried Keegans briefly after a match so I didn't get much of a feel for it. I was really looking at the Ultra Match like what you have.

Yeah Keegan's is a little different. I'll be at the next match and will have it with me. Bring some 40 with you and run it hard lol

Edited by Debob

Anyone running a Race Master holster for these? Any idea what locking block is correct?

ShootersConnection has a "1911 Steel Frame/Para (old)" and "Para Ordnance (newer)" option on their website.

Anyone running a Race Master holster for these? Any idea what locking block is correct?

ShootersConnection has a "1911 Steel Frame/Para (old)" and "Para Ordnance (newer)" option on their website.

Sent an email to DAA two weeks ago with that question specifically for my 51679 and Saul replied the next day with the following...

"A 1911 insert would be the best fit, but possibly some fitting to the insert will be required. Not all 1911s are identical in their trigger guard area.

Also, I would recommend you consider the optional muzzle support part. The round trigger guards of 1911 guns make it very difficult to keep them motionless in the holster when grips only on their trigger guard, as even with a perfect fit, the gun can rotate through the radius of the trigger guard. The 1911s are in fact why we started offering the muzzle support option.

Best Regards,

Saul Kirsch"

Edited by M8Stealth

I'm using the the old style para insert, and use it on the pro match .40 and the HC Tac 9.

I had to file on the locking tab for the insert a bit to get it to latch in, just go slow and mark where you need to remove material.

I used the muzzle support for a few matches, but took it off once I had the feel for re-holstering

My Canadian built P16-40 would not fit into a Blackhawk Serpa 1911 holster until I filed some of the plastic off inside the holster where the front of the trigger guard was supposed to go. I used that holster on a thigh rig when I shot 3-gun with that pistol. Since I started USPSA Limited, I switched to a DOH setup. I found that a Blade-Tech holster for the STI Eagle works with my pistol. Insert pistol, rotate back to lock it in.