Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend mags for 9mm 1911.

km625

I just recently bought a Trojan, and use the Dawson mags. They run perfect in the gun. Get them direct from Dawson's https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000017-1388517791 or Shooters Connection. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com:80/mobile/Dawson-1911-9mm-Magazine-with-Competition-Std-Basepad-P2634.aspx

Dawsons will work best for competition. I have used Tripps for two years now and am changing over to Dawson.

The Tripps like to push the top round forward which can cause the mag to hang up in the frame when you hit the mag release, and have to be pulled out. This does not happen often, but it seems to always happen during a match when I have a good run going. Also, if you drag the top of the magazine against the magwell while reloading, the top round can partially dislodge from the mag. At this point you either drop that mag and go for another one, or you must finish stripping the top round out so it will fully seat, thus losing one round of capacity. Not something beneficial to a SS shooter.

If it's a range gun, then the Tripps will be fine.

Edited by Rimcrew

Metalform. They run. Many manufacturers of 9mm 1911s have switched to Metalform as their OEM mags instead of building their own. There was a good article about it in the Dillon Blue Book sometime last year.

Guess I'm the odd duck but tried Metalform, same as Dawson except for the base pad but prefer Wilson. Had to remove two coils from the magazine spring when running light main (15lb) and recoil springs (9,10lb). Stock magazine spring would slow the slide when running the lighter springs in the pistol. Had them several years bought when Wilson first started selling 10 round 9mm magazines. I like the weight and feel of Wilson magazines plus they polish up nice. Also using an Ed Brown magazine release it is polished at the locking points along with an Ed Brown mag well. It's open at the front so it's very easy to check that the magazine is seated on the load command by pulling down on the magazine.

I have a Trojan in 9mm one of my favorite pistols, when you get your pistol and magazines. Remove the slide and while pushing in on the magazine check to see that you have clearance between the magazine and the ejector. If the magazine hits the ejector with pressure on the base pad remove metal from the ejector till you see daylight or a business card will slip between the ejector and the magazine. If it hits it will break the ejector. STI's fix was a 38/40 ejector and a small amount need to be removed for clearance on the new ejector.

I shoot a PARA LTC and use the PARA 9mm magazines. They've been modified to hold 10 rounds and work without issue. I also retrofitted a PARA mag with Tripp guts and it works great. The last time I tried Wilson Combats I had to download to 8 to get them to run reliably.

-Jake

Metalform. They run. Many manufacturers of 9mm 1911s have switched to Metalform as their OEM mags instead of building their own. There was a good article about it in the Dillon Blue Book sometime last year.

I agree, Metalform. Run flawlessly, hard to unload though.