Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case lube

Tubguy

I'm loading 40SW on a Dillion 550b. I decided to spray some one shot on 10 cases and then loaded them. Man was that smooth and the OAL was more consistent. Do I or should I clean the cases off now. I'm thinking that when I load and shoot USPSA I'll get that lube on my hands and gun. What's everybody doing to clean he lubed ammo?

I tumble the completed rounds for 5-10 minutes. Some folks complain about the tumbling media getting caught in hollow poit bullets. To fix that problem just go to a smaller size media so it clears when tumbling in the separator.

I use One Shot also.

Pat

It sure does make the machine run smooth when the cases are lubed.

I run mine through the tumbler for a while, like Pat M said my media is small enough it doesn't stick in the JHP's

I've left it on and the gun seems to run fine. After its on for a while seems to get a little sticky feeling but still runs. for me it just makes me feel uncomfortable with ammo that feels sticky so I don't leave it on any more

Tumble it off. It eventually gets a little gummy. Since I case gauge every round it eventually makes the gauge sticky and all it takes is a flake of powder to stick in the gauge to bring things to a halt. If I tumble it off I can gauge all day.

One shot.

I used to tumble it off, but I got lazy reloading one night before a match and left it on. That was over 2 years ago, and since then, I have not tumbled it off. I have not noticed any difference.

I have never found a need to clean off case lube, unless I was shooting a cartridge at 60,000+ psi and a rear-locking bolt.

However, with the sticky "crap" One-Shot, I would wipe it off or it will pick up every bit of dirt it comes in contact with.

I prefer the spray lube like Frankford Arsenal, Dillon, or diluting Lee Case Lube in water and using it in a spray bottle. Let it dry for about two minutes and that is that.

After using Oneshot I switched to Dillon lube. Made a world of difference. I spray my ammo with 91% alcohol and roll the ammo around with a towel to clean the lube off. Works great.

Same here. And if you don't go crazy, it is very quick.

I use a large plastic container with a screw-on lid. (Holds about 500 rounds of .40) Throw in the loaded ammo, (Dillon lube seems stickier than One Shot) add a couple ounces of a product called "Awesome" that I buy at the Dollar store. roll it around for a minute, dump it into a plastic strainer and rinse it off with water. Dump them out on a towel and either wipe dry or just air dry. They're still shiny and there's no sticky-slimy left.

This product is cheap, and it cleans just about everything from engine blocks to floors. The wife uses it to pre treat the laundry.

I dunno... I've become a fan of One Shot in the last couple of years. Just throw 2-300 tumbled cases in a gallon Zip Lock bag and spread 'em out on a flat surface then spray into the bag and roll 'em around some and dump the cases in the casefeeder. No muss no fuss and they run nice a slick through the sizing die and don't pick up any grit. They are dry to the touch and I just throw the resulting rounds into an ammo box and go shoot.

Edited by Justsomeguy

• 4 weeks later...