Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2" belt inner to gun rule

cpa5oh

Well, after checking my holster, I was at 2.5 inches! I use a Ghost holster, so it is fully adjustable. I had to tilt it back in towards the top, then my slide racker hit my belt. So then I turned it so the bottom of my grip was closer to the belt. Now it is time to practice my draw since the holster doesn't sit the same.

I think my biggest concern is that OPEN is being restricted. What's next?

Doug

It's already restricted! That's why EGW made the gauge.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after checking my holster, I was at 2.5 inches! I use a Ghost holster, so it is fully adjustable. I had to tilt it back in towards the top, then my slide racker hit my belt. So then I turned it so the bottom of my grip was closer to the belt. Now it is time to practice my draw since the holster doesn't sit the same.

I think my biggest concern is that OPEN is being restricted. What's next?

Doug

Open's been restricted in this manner since at least 2001.......

So this is hardly anything new......

Went back and checked, and the rule has been there for a long time. Made it through a couple Nationals and a lot of Local matches without ever being checked. My bad, it is corrected now!

I had a good rant going on the change, until I went back through old rulebooks.......

....and discovered it's been the rule for at least a few months longer than I've been a member....

This is one of the rules that if you are not wearing your gun at your knee or some have some stupidly obvious contraption no one is going to look twice.

We should all "strive" to follow the rules, and install that thinking in new shooters as they come into the sport. But this is one of the rules that "I" feel is there just to keep us all from getting out of hand and grounded.

Every major I have shot or worked this was indeed checked

I've been to maybe 35-40 majors? I can't ever remember anyone checking this.

Like I said, they don't walk up to every shooter and accost him with a ruler. But they do that to the ones that look obvious from across the range.

I've attended several Nationals, most of the close Area matches and a ton of section matches.

Never seen anyone with a ruler.

You would have thought in all those chrono sessions, someone in my squad would have been checked at least once.

Based on my experience, they don't check.

Too bad it's not in SS. I need to either lose the love handles or get an offset holster. An offset holster would be easier. :)

Too bad it's not in SS. I need to either lose the love handles or get an offset holster. An offset holster would be easier. :)

The 2" rule does apply in SS division.

I still need an offset holster. That's not allowable in SS is it?

the SS rules call for the gun to ride much higher on the belt. I guess offset would be ok but not dropped Edited by Sarge

Here is a good example of a ss legal offset holster. Blade tech holster with stingray fixed with belt attachment. Get longer screws and the nut they screw into. Buy plastic spacer from hardware store and drill one in open a little more so the bushing slides in it which keeps it from moving. Add tiny locknut between belt bracket and plastic spacer. And tighten up. Mine is rock solid and offset but not dropped and works great

post-14119-0-72268500-1391534333_thumb.j

post-14119-0-44700000-1391534363_thumb.j

Since I have not had much success in getting an answer for the previous questions I asked, I'll try something new.

Troy says there is no penalty for having an illegal holster, i.e. more than 2 inches, etc. The solution is to have the shooter adjust the illegal holster,

What if the holster can not be adjusted. It is what it is.

Now what? Troy says there is no move to Open period. That is because the same rule applies in Open also

So do we just allow the shooter to finish the competition with an illegal holster?

Since I have not had much success in getting an answer for the previous questions I asked, I'll try something new.

Troy says there is no penalty for having an illegal holster, i.e. more than 2 inches, etc. The solution is to have the shooter adjust the illegal holster,

Now what? Troy says there is no move to Open period. That is because the same rule applies in Open also

So do we just allow the shooter to finish the competition with an illegal holster?

That sounds worse than a move to open...shooting for no score...You can't score him with illegal equipment, wouldn't be fair to all the legal ones.... and if you do score him, then I'm gonna break this rule everytime...clear advantage with no consequences. .. Edited by GrumpyOne

Here is a good example of a ss legal offset holster. Blade tech holster with stingray fixed with belt attachment. Get longer screws and the nut they screw into. Buy plastic spacer from hardware store and drill one in open a little more so the bushing slides in it which keeps it from moving. Add tiny locknut between belt bracket and plastic spacer. And tighten up. Mine is rock solid and offset but not dropped and works great

Yeah, I did the same thing. It's still the same height, but out from the body. Still within the 2" rule, too. I used 1/4" nylon spacers from Lowes. Same holster, too.

Edited by frag316

so let me ask this question,

my holster was also out, so I adjusted to conform,

during adjusting I noticed I have a bit of "play" on the horizontal plane.

Do you think the checker would give benefit of applying slight inward pressure to gun? or how it happens to be sitting at time of test?

I ask because I got it eyeballed at the 2" to grip and its right there but if a bit of push is done on the grip I got it easy.

Since there is no penalty available, the only option would be to refuse to start the competitor on the remaining COFs until the equipment was within specifications. That pretty much rules out shooting for no score, since once you start the competitor, the run counts.

The seemingly appropriate fix is to remove the 2" requirement in open.

Since I have not had much success in getting an answer for the previous questions I asked, I'll try something new. Troy says there is no penalty for having an illegal holster, i.e. more than 2 inches, etc. The solution is to have the shooter adjust the illegal holster, What if the holster can not be adjusted. It is what it is. Now what? Troy says there is no move to Open period. That is because the same rule applies in Open also So do we just allow the shooter to finish the competition with an illegal holster?

Since there is no penalty available, the only option would be to refuse to start the competitor on the remaining COFs until the equipment was within specifications. That pretty much rules out shooting for no score, since once you start the competitor, the run counts.The seemingly appropriate fix is to remove the 2" requirement in open.

I still don't understand why 6.2.5.1 doesn't apply here.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

It should be no different than any other equipment requirement. If it gets noticed before you shoot, you can be asked to adjust it to comply, no harm no foul. If it gets noticed "during a course of fire", bump to open if available. Since the requirement we are talking about also applies to Open, Open is "not available" and you shoot for no score. I can't imagine that the drafters of the rulebook decided to make an equipment requirement that applies to all divisions that has absolutely no penalty other than adjusting if you get caught.

Since I have not had much success in getting an answer for the previous questions I asked, I'll try something new. Troy says there is no penalty for having an illegal holster, i.e. more than 2 inches, etc. The solution is to have the shooter adjust the illegal holster, What if the holster can not be adjusted. It is what it is. Now what? Troy says there is no move to Open period. That is because the same rule applies in Open also So do we just allow the shooter to finish the competition with an illegal holster?

Since there is no penalty available, the only option would be to refuse to start the competitor on the remaining COFs until the equipment was within specifications. That pretty much rules out shooting for no score, since once you start the competitor, the run counts.The seemingly appropriate fix is to remove the 2" requirement in open.
I still don't understand why 6.2.5.1 doesn't apply here.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

It should be no different than any other equipment requirement. If it gets noticed before you shoot, you can be asked to adjust it to comply, no harm no foul. If it gets noticed "during a course of fire", bump to open if available. Since the requirement we are talking about also applies to Open, Open is "not available" and you shoot for no score. I can't imagine that the drafters of the rulebook decided to make an equipment requirement that applies to all divisions that has absolutely no penalty other than adjusting if you get caught.

only option is to shoot for no score... Edited by GrumpyOne