Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2" belt inner to gun rule

cpa5oh

Anybody know if the 2" rule is from the inside of the inner belt to the frame of the gun or from the closest part of the gun (for example, if you've got an extended safety, does the measurement go from the safety to the inside of the inner belt?) Trying to setup a Limited rig...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effective February 1, 2014

5.2.5 Where a Division specifies a maximum distance that a competitor’s handgun and equipment may extend away from a competitor’s belt, the measurement shall be taken in the following manner:

— Perpendicular to the belt at the point of attachment to the belt

— from the inner most surface of the belt equipment (against the pants/body) to the closest point of the grip of the handgun and/or any reloading device.

Effective February 1, 2014

5.2.5 Where a Division specifies a maximum distance that a competitor’s handgun and equipment may extend away from a competitor’s belt, the measurement shall be taken in the following manner:

— Perpendicular to the belt at the point of attachment to the belt

— from the inner most surface of the belt equipment (against the pants/body) to the closest point of the grip of the handgun and/or any reloading device.

Yep, the new rule book specifies "to the closest point of the grip" thus we can't get away with measuring to a wide thumb safety anymore. I wonder what percent of current limited rigs meet this measurement? I know many Production shooters including myself have had to modify Bladetech DOH rigs to meet the 2 inch measurement.

Eric

Open rigs, too.

I'm thinking there are a lot of open shooters measuring from the inside of the belt to the thumb safety, and maybe even the slide racker. :rolleyes:

I would wager that the vast majority of limited and open rigs will probably fail this new test. Most competition belts are nearly 3/4 inch or more. That only leaves 1 1/4 inches between the outer belt and the grip. Since an overlay is a little over 2 inches wide, it provides an easy reference for ROs to check the equipment. If you can fit that overlay between the grip and the inner belt, you should call the RM and have him/her take a look. People need to make sure they are in compliance before traveling to a major match. I would like to see Match Directors begin to comply with 6.2.3 which states:

Prior to the commencement of a match, each competitor must declare one Division for score. Match Officials should check holsters and other competitor equipment for compliance with the declared Division prior to the competitor making an attempt at any of the courses of fire.

It would appear to me that if the competitor has actually shot a stage with the equipment, they will shoot the match for no score since all divisions have to meet the 2 inch requirement

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

Thank you for the clarification. This rules out me running anything dropped - my strong hand thumb needs to be above the belt hanger, otherwise I can't get a firing grip on the gun quickly because 1 and 1/4" just isn't enough room.

--- snip ---

I would like to see Match Directors begin to comply with 6.2.3 which states:

Prior to the commencement of a match, each competitor must declare one Division for score. Match Officials should check holsters and other competitor equipment for compliance with the declared Division prior to the competitor making an attempt at any of the courses of fire.

--- snip ---

The rule says that the check is optional, not mandatory. But that aside, it is abso-friggin-lutely the responsibility of the shooter to make sure that their stuff is properly set up prior to the start of the match. If they have any concerns, they can check with the MD prior to the start. Traveling to a major and spending a lot of money to shoot for "fun" may not be all that much fun.

Later,

Chuck

I absolutely agree that complying with the rules is always on the shooter. It just seems odd that a procedure that is clearly outlined in the rulebook and is "Optional but highly recommended" is pretty much never done, even at the Nationals. Some CROs handle it on each stage, but not in a uniform fashion. Maybe we could avoid some of the "Svetlana" moments if we just took 3 minutes at the beginning of each day and checked equipment as the rulebook suggests.

Every major I have shot or worked this was indeed checked

I can't say that I've ever seen this checked. Maybe the CRO was doing it quietly, but it wasn't obvious to me. I know I saw some holsters at the production nationals that I am pretty sure put the handgun outside of the 2" rule.

To be honest my experience only covers two RM's and they regularly pulled people aside for this. And typically before any shooting so it could get corrected.

Never done nationals but I am not surprised as it would mostly seem to fall to the CRO's with the numbers of shooters there.

This is a rediculous rule for Open and also Limited in my opinion. What is the reasoning for this rule?

I agree. Open should be open, including holster placement.

Why should open be different ? What is the intent of this rule?

Tom

I'm not liking this rule one bit. I just did some measurements with my revolver holster (blade-tech with drop and offset attachment) and depending on how you measure it may or may not meet the 2" maximum. I currently use an Uncle Mike's belt. I don't see any way it would fit if I were using a thicker belt such as a DAA. In my case if an RO measured and felt I wasn't in compliance of the rule I could remove the drop/offset attachment and then remeasure. I wonder what would happen in a case where your holster would not permit such a modification?

I believe it is to comply with the 4th Principle of USPSA shooting.

Personally I agree with the intent of the rule, but a uniform measurement policy with all the different rig/gun types is hard to define.

Back in the "day" it was adopted to prevent the "gunslinger" look. USPSA was a very new sport and concerned about its public image.

I can't remember if it had this specific measurement in it, and I doubt that it did, but the low slung quick draw type holsters/belt combinations were soon prohibited.

Edited by Gary Stevens