Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Customs

TNGrumpy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All STI gun parts are oversized and hand fitted.

This is not true.

If it is true, then they are terrible at fitting parts. The factory guns that I have were very loosely fitted and matched when they came to me.

Sure , they were better than glocks, but not even in the same ballpark as SVI. Not only are they not in the same ball park, they aren't playing the same sport.

Edited by B45C22

I've owned off the shelf STI guns, full custom STI guns, and a SVI... They aren't even in the same ball park. The STI's are great for the money, and granted the SVI is a lot more, but it is SOOOOO worth it. Just pick one up if you get the chance, most people shooting them are more than willing to let you run a mag though it after a match, and you will seriously figure out a way to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house or sell a kidney on the way home from a match.

As for the wait time, perfection doesn't happen quickly... Fast. High-Quality. Cheap. Pick any two.

sell a kidney to buy a GUN ?????????????????????????????.... think someone here might be on drugs ....

The day I put down my Xdm and shot a stage with an SVI I considered all options down to talking to my wife about making it with 1 vehicle for awhile.

:roflol::bow:

sell a kidney to buy a GUN ?????????????????????????????.... think someone here might be on drugs ....

The day I put down my Xdm and shot a stage with an SVI I considered all options down to talking to my wife about making it with 1 vehicle for awhile.

• 4 months later...

The Builders building guns that cost 2750-3000 have about 10-12 hours in them

cost 4000-5000 have about 20 hours in them

The more custom internal tuning your gun has the better will run, last longer, and be way more reliable.

STI makes great guns. To say they don't hold a candle to SVI is not honest in my opinion. SVI is considerably more expensive and you can tell a difference between them but it is significantly less than many will tell you. I've handled and shot both brands. To me the extra cool factor of SVI is not worth the significantly higher wait and cost. To others it is. Beauty is everyone gets to decide for themselves!

Hand fitted and built

Worth every penny if the smith is real ttop quality and not one of new flash in the pan ones.

When these new guys have 20 years experience I'll be willing to pay them what Bedell gets. I think he is still the most cost effective of the big name, lots of experience guys.

I think Bar-Sto offers a good option for 2011s

You get a stainless STI type frame and slide that I believe is license built by Bar-Sto and good quality parts which are hand fitted

The price is surprisingly good for what you get (few hundred more than a stock STI), which you might not think given that Bar-Sto barrels are usually more expensive than other ones

When I can afford it I definitely plan on seeing about Bar-Sto building me a custom 1911 or 2011

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen 2011 pistols sell 2k up to $4500. What do custom gunsmiths do to make them that much betterin the worldthan stock? Why are the price differences between smiths so different, don't they use mostly the same internal parts?

Ive been shooting my Glock 34 and 35 in USPSA for 9 minths with at least 1 match a month. Seeing 2011'S for the first time I thought they were the ugliest thing. After todays match my 2 friends who just bought 2011's let me shoot theres.

Lets just say Ill be purchasing one in a month.

I have a few custom guns built by some well known smiths.

My BHP by C&S, the trigger job alone took several hours. The fitting of the barrel even more but that was because Bill took it to Irv to have it fitted-no fliers.

Kodiak Precision built three of my SV guns. He does not use a CNC machine--just a Bridgeport and a lot of hand fitting.

My friend, Pat Miles, went to a few gunsmithing classes. He has 'cleaned' guns of friends built by some very well know gunsmiths. When he purchased his custom guns, he went with Bedell.

Thank you jrbet83 for listing out all the processes of building a new gun. Over the last 4 years I have had two factory STI 2011s followed up with a Dawson 6 inch 2011 which is superb and well worth the extra. I then changed to 1911s as I have smallish hands and bought two STIs, a 5 inch Rangemaster and 6 inch Targetmaster. Both were sent to my gunsmith to tweak. In two days I take delivery of a 6 inch sight tracker which has been buit from scratch for me mostly with STI parts. Your list of all the things the gunsmith will have done helps me understand and pay the bill. Not sure how much yet. There is definitely something nice about owning and shooting a great custom gun. Cheers.

Sarge, I can see where you might say that. I can "Assemble" a decent gun, if I have all the parts on hand and they are good quality parts that require little fitting and do it in a day. But it is NOT going to be a $4500 job and it is NOT going to be the best thing you ever shot. It'll be better than average to be sure, but nothing to brag about.

But that is not the way a top gunsmith makes his money. He makes his money because it takes him a LOT longer to finish the job. Not because he's dragging his feet to rack up hours, but because he is meticulous and paying attention to every little detail. And if it isn't up to his standards, it's not leaving his shop until it is. That earns you a reputation and it earns you the right to charge more than Billy Bob down at the local gun store.

It's like the difference between a Corvette and a Ferrari. A Corvette is built on the principle of "best performance using stringent production tolerances". The result is a great performing sports car for $60K. A Ferrari is built on the principle of " the best performance with zero tolerance". It is perfect when it leaves the factory or it doesn't leave the factory. The result is a sports car that takes your breath away from every aspect, every single time you drive it but it's gonna cost you half a mil.

Just as I imagine it hurts when you spend $4500 for your racegun and you find out the guy that beat you in the match built his gun himself.

Edited by Dranoel

Just my .02.....read the story behind STI and SVI....long and short of it is....2 guys start making custom gun together....after a while....one wants to make super custom and the other wants to make less custom but more available to the everyday shooter.....they split and now you have STI and SVI.......as I said SUPER SHORT AND CONDENSED VERSION! You get what you pay / wait for. Personally my wife and I run CRP Edges from DP and they are great for us. Do I want an SVI...Yes....Do I see where some things on an STI fall short....Yes. However, I do have but dont want to spend the money on an SVI when the STI is doing me right as of this moment. As soon as she does me wrong....check out the Classifieds....there will be a screaming deal :roflol:

I have a few questions...how long does chrome take after the build is complete?

And how long should you wait to contact said builder once your gun was sent out to chrome??

Or how long is reasonable for no response to email inquiries???

Edited by Prov1x

And how long should you wait to contact said builder once your gun was sent out to chrome??

It depends. 2-3 weeks would be more than enough time to send it out, get it back and put it back together for you. If in doubt call, but when your builder is on the phone, he isn't building guns. Thats why most prefer email so they can check at their conveience.

I would say depends on the builder and company they use for Chrome. Acc-U-rail built mine, from the time he sent it to Chrome and he told me it was assembled, less than a week.

Well I have a new STI Trubor and to say I'd throw it on the ground for an SVI is a gross overstatement. I have an SVI IMM and I honestly like shooting the Sti better. My Sti is tight, even after 2500 rounds its stil tight, accurate and ive been getting some of my best splits ever at 25m+. I've had extractor hiccups because of an extractor I installed but aside from that it has run flawless. Im perfectly happy with it and I can buy 2 plus lots of mags and brass for what an SVI runs And I can use any powder I choose. My next gun will be a full custom, most likely built by Matt McLearn. But as far as factory guns go, I'm happy taking the STI over the SVI.

• 2 months later...

Also new to the 2011 custom idea, Pretty well set on a 5" SDC Limited from Cheely Custom. Simple and to the point.

Question I can't find an answer to on the forum is, what Cal to cover Standard IPSC (called Limited if I read right?) major and 3Gun/Mulitgun shooting.

Wanting to double up the 2011 usage for Tac Ops and Standard IPSC.

Mate shoots an SVI open gun, very nicely built!