Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

G17

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to say I'm not dry firing enough! Time to ramp it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot dry fire / dry draw (to a sight picture) to much. Even after 20 years, I still did that religiously.

I think it's safe to say I'm not dry firing enough! Time to ramp it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot dry fire / dry draw (to a sight picture) to much. Even after 20 years, I still did that religiously.

I believe it! It amazing how incorporating 10-20 minutes a day in the garage has REALLY ASPED up my times and scores so significantly in only a few days!

I didn't choose the Glock life, the Glock life chose ME.

• 3 weeks later...

Try to dry drill at least 15 minutes a day. I pick a drill i want to work on, (grip and draw, trigger press, transitions, ect.) and I work only on that one drill. I lose focus to quick to work on too many drills at once.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard people enjoy the SIRT pistol. I have never seen or used one.. In dry firing I get one shot then rack, 1 shot then rack, will the SIRT let You use multiple shots?

Edited by lstone

I have heard people enjoy the SIRT pistol. I have never seen or used one.. In dry firing I get one shot then rack, 1 shot then rack, will the SIRT let You use multiple shots?

The SIRT does give you multiple shots.

But, with XDs and MP and 1911s you don't need it to be cocked (but it would be nice) for every trigger pull in a drill. You still get the majority of the trigger pull motion and resistance on subsequent shots. i.e. you can dry fire El Pres and you don't need to rack the slide before every trigger press.

When I dry fire my index (draw to sight picture) I put pressure on the trigger, but don't break the shot. When I dry fire a drill with multiply shots I drop the hammer on the first shot then continue to pull the trigger to complete the drill.

Glocks are different, but I've heard there's card trick you can do with them to let you get multiple trigger pulls.

To answer the OP's original question. 20 minutes 4 times a week. mostly drills from Steve Anderson's book.

• 1 month later...

The card board trick is taking a thin piece of card board or playing card. Cut a narrow strip, say 3/16 of an inch. Rack the slide back about 1/4 and insert card in gap created by moving the slide back. Close slide and pull trigger. Now you can pull the trigger countless times with full trigger movement.

I need more help with this trying to do the cardboard trick so I can dry fire Glock 19; Please help!

The card board trick is taking a thin piece of card board or playing card. Cut a narrow strip, say 3/16 of an inch. Rack the slide back about 1/4 and insert card in gap created by moving the slide back. Close slide and pull trigger. Now you can pull the trigger countless times with full trigger movement.

I need more help with this trying to do the cardboard trick so I can dry fire Glock 19; Please help!

It's not a 'trick' just stick anything soft in between the breach face and barrel and you're good to go

I've been dry firing quite a bit the last couple weeks.

I did some live fire drills today... I didn't have a whole lot of time so I worked on "Frank Garcia's Dots" and "4 Aces".

I KILLED my previous times on 4 aces. I wish I would have written down the particulars. The last time I live fired it I was doing my best with a sub second draw and 1.1x reloads, most around 1.2 if I didn't flub them.

I had several today with the first shot under .90 and a few of the reloads under a second.

This was the best of the day, and I nearly shat myself:

2014-09-03223947_zpsab43afbe.jpg

.94 draw and .91 reload. (The date was never set, so ignore that). The last split was a .16 I think, total time 2.19.

I try to have a 20 minute time every day. But better for me is many small 5 minute periods all day long-4 or 5, where I work on a specific item. Do rifle, shotgun and pistol also. Got some targets from Ben Stoeger and they have helped tremendously in maintaining my skills, not necessarily getting better. Recuperating for months now and difficult to get to range due to work constraints. I have a room in my office where I can do this, which helps tremendously. Sometimes I lie in bed and use some wall targets or the ceiling to do transitions and presenting. It all helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you may be missing the point of all this. Actually having the hammer/striker drop is just one small aspect of serious dry fire practice, and not even close to the most important aspect. As long as you can pull your trigger and see your sights remain on target it's time to move onto the more useful practice, like transitions, draw to target sight picture and reloads on the move just to name a few of the unlimited things you can practice without actually spending a dime on ammo. I practice with a SA gun and also shotgun and rifle, I may start cocked and click shoot the first target in an array, after that I still do a realistic trigger press on the un cocked trigger for the rest of the targets. And according to my wife I make stupid shooting noises under my breath while I'm doing it too. Its hard to concentrate with her always laughing at me.

I thought the idea was maintaining the sight picture through trigger break. I assumed that dry fire practice actually involved trigger reset and break.

That's an important place to start and something everyone has to master. But it's not something anyone needs to sit on the couch and do for an hour every night before bed, nor is it even the tip of the dry firing iceberg. If you shoot bullseye it might be all you need, if you shoot an action sport there's a huge world of zero cost training potential in it. I've managed to turn my basement into a mini shooting range and come up with different stage designs that I run with a timer and everything just like the real deal. You'll find tons of wasted time in your technique and mindset if you really get into it.

There is also a 15 minute dry fire program by Ben on this forum. It's free and has some really really great drills. I try to do that 3 times a week and then on the other days I grab my pistol and just shoot targets in my room for 5-10 minutes, don't even put my belt on or anything.