Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

G17

I'll dry fire 30–45 minutes almost every evening during the week and hit the range one day on the weekend for practice or a match. This got me from 45% on my first classifier in April to A class in August. I'll run whole COFs in our condo with multiple reloads…

You are truly a living proof that dry fire works. I just looked at your classifier records. Amazing!! Question is, from April to August, what else did you do other than dry fire?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far from amazing but I just classed up to A in Production and a huge part of it was dryfire. I try to dryfire at least 5-10 minutes a day. I always try to train my weakest thing (at this point, trigger control) before moving on to other things as that seems the most helpful. Having a glaring weakness that you don't try to improve won't help you win matches, in my opinion.

Has anyone tired the auto trigger reset for the Glock. It's made for dry firing. You feel the break of the trigger each time without have to ever rack the slide. I'm shooting a model 34 now, but I practice my dry fire with my model 35 that has the other trigger in it. This way I have the weight of the pistol as well as being able to feel the break each time.

Edited by jimreed1948

• 2 weeks later...

When I started shooting I was dry firing a lot. I looked forward to doing it. But I ended up with tennis elbow from dry firing.

So now I am able to start back and am trying to not get tenniss elbow again. Sometimes I can get caught up in a single drill for 30-40 minutes.

If the elbow wasn't a concern I would be putting in a lot more dry fire time

Been wondering if it would be beneficial to dry fire with a revolver? It seems that would smooth your trigger out after a few weeks. Is there anyone that can attest to that or not?

Yes absolutely it helps. Before I abandoned revolver division for production I was dry firing to practice reloads and work on trigger pull.

I really judge my dry time in how much I do in a week. Because sometimes life makes other plans that day. I try to live fire 2times a week. But I think I was one of the guys Ben spoke about saying " you are doing it wrong". So I'm changing what, how, who and why I'm doing what I'm doing. So time will tell. Sooner than later I hope. But It will get better...

No doubt we would all rather shoot. We gotta pay to play. I feel like dry fire is payment. Lol

I went from A in Nov to GM in April by dry firing every other night for 1hr. I really hate dry firing now and rarely do it. It was work, zero enjoyment out of it

What was your routine Supermoto? If you don't mind. Thanks

What was your routine Supermoto? If you don't mind. Thanks

Draws and standing reloads while using a paster as my dry fire target. I think the very small target really helped my get the sights to exactly to where I was looking. Now when I draw during live fire I focus on a piece of tape on the target and not just the A zone. My dry fire was designed around my weak points. It was not a well rounded dry fire routine and not something I would recommend for becoming an overall better shooter.

I was also a M in Open when I was a A in Limited, so the jump is not as big as it seems.

Still good advice, aim small....

I dry fire at 2"x2" post-it notes. I initially did it because they were easy up and easy down because my wife complained about targets all over the house (now she complains about post-its). Now I do it because if I can hit a small post-it, I can hit where I am aiming at on a target.

Dry firing like this has helped me go from a D class when I started Dec. 2012 to A class now.

Edited by Kibster3