Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

G17

To add to the comment above...I use several types of pistols in competitions. I practice just prior to a match with the pistol I will use. Do you find it hard to transition from one pistol platform to another and do you switch up your practices?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel as long you are drawing and putting your sights on a target area, it counts. I work hard at seeing the sights on the target and proper trigger prep and follow through. Plus your not buying bullets…..

I dry fire everyday. It's usually 15 minutes in the morning and a few hours at night. I just enjoy it. If it wasn't fun i probably wouldnt do it near as much.

That's a lot and good. 4 days a week about 1/2 to an hour live fire about 2 to 3 hundred once or twice a week. Now all this started about 4 months ago. I can see a diff but it does take a min. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

When dry firing, you can draw to just get sight picture and no trigger press, but leave the sights on target for a brief moment. Then you can do the same drill with a nice trigger squeeze. Don't forget to use your friend the timer.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish ... Sometimes you just want to draw to a sight picture and not pull the trigger and for other drills you'll want to. Get Ben Stoeger's or Steve Anderson's dry fire books and you're good to go ....

For those of you with striker fired guns, you how to do the cardboard trick so that you can pull the trigger multiple times without having to rack the slide?

As for the OP's original question, 4-5 days a week, 15- 30 miscat a time. You should doing 5 dry fire reps for every 1 live fire rep if you want to see any real gains ...

I don't go so much for time as I do for ensuring that I cover certain aspects of dry-fire.

10 reps - 2 hand draw stroke to trigger press

10 reps - Draw to reaction side hand only with trigger press

10 reps - Strong side only draw to trigger press

5 reps - Draw to trigger press, tac reload

10 reps - Begin at slide lock, emergency reload to trigger press

10 reps - Standing to kneeling draw stroke with trigger press

This is just one "routine" that I actually have written down. I switch routines and add/subtract based upon weapon type, etc. Sometimes I go very slow to ensure that everything is perfect and sometimes I pick up the pace a little bit. I almost always include some type of movement, even if it is only taking one step left or right while performing the above. I also incorporate "scenarios" into the practice, either in my home or in the garage, such as drawing while seated in a vehicle, etc.

Basically, I am not so much driven by time as I am ensuring that I have an outline of what I want to accomplish so that it is not just practice, but purposeful practice.

Hopefully you are doing more than just draws and reloads in dry fire ? You should be training all aspects of shooting: transitions, entries, exits, shooting on the move, etc. there is literally no limit to what you can do in dry fire, including setting up mini stages to shoot ."

BTW, the time is just a guide, after dry firing for a while you learn how much you can accomplish within certain times. For me, I tend to lose focus after about 1/2 hr. also,msinc I'm gripping the gun with the same pressure as in live fire, my hands are hurting pretty bad after a 1/2 hr of gripping the gun constantly ....

Gripping the gun correctly is critically important during dry fire and if your hands are not hurting than you are either not doing many reps or are not gripping like you do in live fire ....

Hopefully you are doing more than just draws and reloads in dry fire?

If that was directed at me, yes, of course. I think I was pretty clear in the post.

If it wasn't directed at me, I guess I would still agree.

My point was simply that the original question asked about how much "time" was being dedicated to dry fire practice. Many of the responses revolve around that idea as well. Of more importance is that a specific plan is being followed, driven by goal rather than time.

Edited by Osage

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish ... Sometimes you just want to draw to a sight picture and not pull the trigger and for other drills you'll want to. Get Ben Stoeger's or Steve Anderson's dry fire books and you're good to go ....

For those of you with striker fired guns, you how to do the cardboard trick so that you can pull the trigger multiple times without having to rack the slide?

As for the OP's original question, 4-5 days a week, 15- 30 miscat a time. You should doing 5 dry fire reps for every 1 live fire rep if you want to see any real gains ...

What is the cardboard trick for striker guns? Racking the slide seems self defeating. I found my two biggest problem was I was not having my support hand provide the support and the front sight moving low left when pulling the trigger.

I incorporate it into the beginning of my workouts. I do it as part of my warm up, and I will do it with an elevated heart rate, try and slow down to concentrate on the sights and trigger squeeze. I will also tape two boxes on the floor and practice getting into position with a dry fire between them.

The card board trick is taking a thin piece of card board or playing card. Cut a narrow strip, say 3/16 of an inch. Rack the slide back about 1/4 and insert card in gap created by moving the slide back. Close slide and pull trigger. Now you can pull the trigger countless times with full trigger movement.

The card board trick is taking a thin piece of card board or playing card. Cut a narrow strip, say 3/16 of an inch. Rack the slide back about 1/4 and insert card in gap created by moving the slide back. Close slide and pull trigger. Now you can pull the trigger countless times with full trigger movement.

Thanks, I've learned a lot of neat tricks here. Been dry firing for at least 2 hours every evening, 2 minutes dry fire 8 minutes rest then start over. Seen major improvements all ready

Dry-firing is a teqnique used for many purposes. I initially used it to learn my trigger pull and reset, then started to add empty reloads and time transitions I'm still working on all of those as I only just bought my first gun a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe some more experienced shooters can give you other purposes to use it

To dry-fire a weapon

1. Check to make sure it's empty and safe.

2. Point the weapon in a safe direction

3. Squeeze the trigger until the hammer/striker hits

4. While holding the trigger down, work the slide to reset the firing mechanism and repeat

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is all from my training in the police academy

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I dry fire regularly, a minimum of 15 minutes/session 6 days a week.

One thing I noticed when doing X number of repetitions, I was spending too much time thinking/concentrating on what repetition I was on rather than focusing on the drill it self. This is not good, one needs to focus on the drill, not just doing mindless repetitions for a certain number of times, as mentioned above.

To solve this problem I now set the countdown/timer function on my wrist watch for a specific amount of time, example 2 minutes. I then activate my watch and begin a specific drill. When the alarm goes off on my watch I start a different drill. This allows me to focus on what is important, and not worry about counting.

I dry fire for 30-60 minutes 4-6 days a week. It took almost a month of regular dry fire to see real results, but I jumped an entire class within three months of regular practice. After six months, my shooting buddies all hated me for the drastic improvements I made. I started with Ben's 15-Minute routine, but now mostly set up mini stages to work entry, exits, pick-ups, etc. I've found that if I do only dry fire and not enough live fire I tend to pull my sights off target too soon during transitions. Lately, I've been mixing in transition work with airsoft to break this habit.

I use snap caps and dummy rounds to simulate a loaded mag and gun. My draws are most consistent with mags loaded to division capacity with dummy rounds. Empty mags and guns don't handle the same during manipulations.

I use the par timer app on my phone wired into the jack in my electronic ear protection. That way, I can practice with a beep as loud as I like without disturbing Mrs. Kool Aid.

Edited by Kool Aid

• 2 weeks later...

Dry-firing is a teqnique used for many purposes. I initially used it to learn my trigger pull and reset, then started to add empty reloads and time transitions I'm still working on all of those as I only just bought my first gun a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe some more experienced shooters can give you other purposes to use it

To dry-fire a weapon

1. Check to make sure it's empty and safe.

2. Point the weapon in a safe direction

3. Squeeze the trigger until the hammer/striker hits

4. While holding the trigger down, work the slide to reset the firing mechanism and repeat

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is all from my training in the police academy

Raiden101,

Dry fire that you explain is one form. The other, which I think is the one most are talking about is actually running through all phases of practical shooting without actually pulling the trigger. You can get volumes of information from what you are doing and what you should be doing in order to improve. The biggest thing, which I think is implied but not stated, you need to do it perfectly every time or you'll ingrain bad habits, which are difficult to break. As for what Brian said about 10 years, I believe it varies, but we all need to get our 10,000 hours in to be the beginning of the best.

Hope that helps.